BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard

 

www.BloodandCustard.com

 

SOUTHERN RAILWAY’S
WATERLOO & CITY LINE STOCK

In 1938, the Southern Railway authorised a modernisation scheme for its only ‘tube style’ railway, this being the short (1m 46ch) line running from Waterloo to Bank. This line had been opened in August 1898 and was only the second tube line to open in London. At the time of opening this was the only section of electrified railway on the lines of any of the constituent companies of the SR.

Being such an early pioneer, some of the design features soon became outdated. However the line, still served by its original rolling stock (with some later additions) was still giving a reliable service although the trains were becoming increasingly antiquated. This was especially so when compared with neighbouring London Transport operated lines, some of which were now receiving new ‘1938’ rolling stock. So a modernisation scheme was felt necessary.

This modernisation scheme envisaged complete replacement of the rolling stock, altering the electrification system to that of other SR lines with the third rail raised and outside the running lines, resignalling the whole line with LT style two aspect colour light signals working in conjunction with train stops, and provision of new booking offices and ticket machines at both stations to replace fare collection on the trains.

 

Electrification System

The existing system of electrification of the Waterloo & City line was unique with a central conductor rail at the same level as the running rails and charged at 500v DC. Wooden ramps were provided at switches and crossings to raise the collector shoes on the trains to clear the running rails. This was therefore replaced by new 109 lb. a yard conductor rail mounted on porcelain insulators, this rail being in the standard ‘main line’ position of 16" outside the running rail with the top surface 3" above running rail level.

Throughout the length of the main running tunnels a pair of bare wires were provided; the ‘pinch wire’ circuit. These enabling the driver of a train to cut off the traction current in an emergency by clipping the terminals of an emergency telephone carried in each cab to these wires, this putting the driver in communication with both Waterloo signalbox and the Electrical Control Operator at Raynes Park. The pinch wire circuit could also be activated by pinching the two wires together in the absence of a telephone handset and operation of this circuit also turned on the tunnel lights in the running tunnel concerned.

The power supply to the line was overseen by the control room at Raynes Park, the conductor rail now being energised at 660v DC and supplied from the substation at Waterloo (Main Line), the power being generated by the existing power station at Durnsford Road.

 

Signalling System

The signalling system was also completely replaced with the new system following London Transport practise with two aspect (Red/Green) stop signals working in conjunction with Train Stops, preceded by a two aspect (Yellow/Green) repeater signal (no train stop).

Two signalboxes were retained, that at Waterloo being manned whenever the line was operating, whilst that at Bank was able to be operated automatically when required. The running tunnels each also had one automatic intermediate signal and attendant repeater to split the section from Waterloo to Bank.

Up trains from Waterloo to Bank were started by signal W3 and passed repeater A1R prior to automatic signal A1 in the running tunnel before reaching repeater B2LR/B4LR and the Bank home signal B2L/B4L which indicated to which platform the train was routed, B4L taking the train to Platform 2 at Bank (the left hand platform as the train approached) whilst B2L took the train over the crossover into Platform 1.

Down trains from Bank were started by signal B2R (from Platform 1) and B4R (from Platform 2), they then passed repeater A2R and automatic signal A2 in the running tunnel before reaching repeater W1R and the Waterloo home signal W1.

At Waterloo, shunt signal W8 gave access from the Down platform to berthing sidings 4 - 7, whilst similar W14 gave access from the Up platform to sidings 1 - 7. Shunt signals W12 and W16 permitted movements from the sidings towards the Up platform at Waterloo.

All stop signals (and one limit of shunt board) were equipped with a train stop, this being a ‘T’ shaped metal bar which was raised when the signal was at danger and engaged a tripcock on the train which cut-off traction power and applied the brakes.

There were twelve of these on the line, all lettered from A to M for identification purposes. Although the line was normally operated as a double track route, there were special provisions in the rules allowing either line to be used as a single track in emergencies, also to run the line as two parallel single tracks, thought this severely reduced line capacity and was only used in times of failures of trains or equipment.

 

New Trains

The existing service on the line was run using five number 5-car trains during the peak periods, with single cars operating at other times. The 5-car trains were formed of M+T+T+T+M, whilst five double ended motor coaches were used for the off peak service, these cars not being used in the peaks as they did not run in multiple with other cars.

The new stock ordered in replacement was intended to replicate this arrangement, but the motor coaches would all have cabs at each end and be able to operate both at the ends of 5-car trains or singly for the off peak service. As a result, orders were placed for twelve motor coaches and sixteen trailers to cover the requirements of the five x 5-car service with one trailer and two motors spare.

Stock transfers to and from the Waterloo & City line had to be made via the ‘Armstrong Hoist’ which was located on a short spur line off the Up line just beyond the platform at Waterloo and the upper level was located in the North Sidings alongside the main line station.

The new cars were therefore designed to be the maximum length that could be accommodated on the hoist and all were 47' 0" long over bodywork, though the couplers, centre buffer and air hoses on car ends had to be removed prior to a vehicle using the hoist to provide sufficient clearance as the vehicle was 49' 1¾" long over these fittings. The Hoist had a maximum capacity of 30 tons.

This stock was constructed for the SR by English Electric at the former Dick Kerr works in Preston, this works having also built some of the original stock used on the line. The cars were of all-steel construction and the car ends were rounded off to give a smooth appearance, the cab end design being broadly similar to the contemporary LT ‘1938’ tube stock. All cars had two sets of sliding doors each side, trailers having two pairs of double opening doors, whilst motors had one single leaf and one double leaf door. However the side windows were much smaller than those on LT tube stock and set higher up the bodysides, particularly those between the car ends and the first doorway where the seating was set higher up above the wheel pockets.

The lower edge of the bodyside was cranked-up over the motor bogie to give clearance. However at the trailing end of this car and also at both ends of the trailers it was straight, as the wheels exceeded the low floor level there were wheel pockets above each trailing bogie with longitudinal seating located in the vehicle above.

Bogie centres were set at 31' and the trailer bogies were smaller and lower than the motorbogies which had more sturdy and deeper frames and outside sidesprings above the axleboxes.

The cars were equipped with the Westinghouse Automatic Air Brake, in common with other SR electric stock of the time this was a ‘straight’ air brake with no form of electric actuation, thought the contemporary LT ‘1938’ tube stock was fitted with ‘Electro-Pneumatic’ brakes from new. The main reservoir was charged to a pressure of between 90 & 100 lbs. whilst the brake pipe operated at 70 lbs. and the brake was fully applied if this pressure fell by 20 lbs. The new LT stock also had all the control equipment mounted beneath the car underframes, dispensing with the need for a switch compartment above motor bogies in the motor coaches.

However the SR design for the Waterloo & City stock was more traditional and followed closer to former LT practise with their ‘standard’ stock, in that the control equipment was still located within a switch compartment above each motor bogie. The maximum height of the vehicles was 9' 7" and overall width was 8' 7¾".

Throughout the new stock, all passenger doors were power operated with air actuation, each door leaf space being 2' 3" wide, double opening doors therefore having a clear 4' 6" opening. These doors were controlled by the guard, who, when working a single coach train operated from the rear cab, and at all other times operated from the equipment end of the rearmost motor coach. Door controls were therefore provided in all cabs, two door control boxes, one of which incorporated a position switch. When a switch key was inserted into the position switch, the door control box became operative enabling control of the doors on that side of the train. The other door control box operated the doors on the other side.

Each door control box had three buttons marked "Open", "Close" & "Signal" and also a door indicator lamp which illuminated when all the doors were properly closed. The "Open" button was protected by a cover to prevent accidental operation. The "Signal" button was used to give the starting signal to the driver, one ring being used (on main line stock later provided with starting bells, two rings were used as a starting signal, one ring meaning stop, but the Waterloo & City line continued with the original arrangement, this being also LT practise).

Each train on the Waterloo & City was provided with only one switch key and the guard had to take it with him when changing ends. A door operating handle was provided low down on the bodyside of each coach to enable the doors on that vehicle only to be operated locally by authorised staff in the event of door defects. However illuminated door indicator lights on each vehicle were not fitted.

The coaches were all coupled by an LT style “Ward” coupling, a simpler type of buckeye coupler, and a centre buffer was located above this coupler. At one end this was a centre spring buffer, at the other a plain wearing block. At each side of the communicating door on all vehicle ends were two brake hoses, the brake pipe running along the left hand side of the train (as it proceeded from Waterloo to Bank) with the main reservoir on the right hand side. As a result all vehicles had to be a certain way round to enable correct coupling and care had to be taken when coaches returned from other workshops that they arrived at Waterloo the correct way round.

 

Motor Coaches

Motor coaches always ran with the equipment compartment end towards Bank. Each coach end also had a hinged cover each side covering the control and lighting jumper sockets. The jumpers were loose connections which had to be inserted into the sockets on both the adjacent vehicles (the number of wires in each jumper is unknown).

Each coach end also had a lamp bracket on the left had side (when viewing the vehicle end) at waist height, and all had two ventilation louvres at roof level, one each side of the communicating door. The communicating doors were all fitted with a fixed window, inside of which was a horizontal steel safety bar, and the doors opened inwards, with the hinge side to the right. These doors were for emergency access along the train and were not used ordinarily by passengers as there was no proper gangway connection between adjacent vehicles.

Motor coaches comprised drivers cab which was 3' 6" in width, with four access doors all opening into the cab (those each side being hinged towards the cab front) whilst the nose end emergency door hinged to the right (when viewing the vehicle end) and the communicating door into the passenger area. There were two driver’s observation windows in the nose end, one each side of the centre doorway, the top and side edges of these curving round to follow the shape of the body profile. Below these windows was a large red head & tail light, the unique Waterloo & City practice of having a red head indication being continued with this stock. One of these lights was supplied by storage batteries, the other taking its power from the conductor rail via the lighting circuits.

Cab ends were provided with an air operated whistle mounted vertically on the outside of the driver’s observation window, but no windscreen wipers were fitted as the cars operated almost entirely underground. Behind the cab was the larger of the two end saloons, this having longitudinal seating for six, again divided into pairs by two armrests. Then followed the double leaf doors and the central saloon, to an identical seating layout to that of the trailer coaches with seats for 20. Beyond was a single leaf door opening, then the floor level was raised to clear the motor bogie and longitudinal seats for four were provided here, divided by an armrest into two pairs.

A further communicating door then opened into the High Tension switch compartment, with a further door then opening into the rear of an identical cab arrangement to that provided at the other end of the coach. The switch compartment housed various control equipment, compressors and other emergency equipment, and there were two large removable panels on the bodysides to allow access to this equipment when required, these large panels also having smaller ones within then, allowing restricted access more readily.

The master controller, and through it the traction control train lines were supplied at line voltage of 600v, but this was stepped down by means of potentiometers which formed part of each motor coach's equipment to 70v to supply the electro-pneumatic contactors and reverser etc.

Motor coaches only had one shallower depth window along the bodyside at each end saloon, again with two deeper ones in the centre saloon area. Overall these motor coaches seated 40 third (+ nominal 60 standing) and weighed 29 tons 4cwt divided as 18 tons 12cwt on the motorbogie and 10 tons 12cwt on the trailer bogie. Shoebeams were fitted on both bogies, that on the motorbogie having larger shoebeams than the trailer bogie due to restricted clearances at this end as the bodyside was not raised over this bogie. Both bogies were also fitted with the tripcock apparatus, these engaging with the trainstops located at all stop signals, cutting off power and applying the emergency brake when activated by passing over a raised trainstop.

The two motors fitted in the motorbogie (this of type BP22) were the EE500 type, rated at 190hp and gave the units a maximum speed of 35mph and were geared 69:16. The motorbogie had a wheelbase of 6' 6" and the wheels were 3' 0" in diameter. It weighed 5 tons 18cwt, this being 9 tons 12cwt when fitted with motors. A handbrake was provided in the driving cab at the equipment compartment end of the coach. The compressors were a Holland rotary-type weighing 4cwt, there being two fitted in each motorcoach with one spare also provided at the depot as a maintenance float.

 

Trailer Coaches

Trailer coaches comprised inwards opening communicating door leading to an aisle between longitudinal seating for eight each side, these seats being divided by three armrests into four pairs. Then followed the first double leaf door opening and the centre section of the coach which had two-aside transverse seating, with one set of face to face seats adjacent to the doors and three further face to back sets of seats, this saloon therefore seating 20. Then followed the second double leaf door opening, beyond which was another saloon with further eight seat longitudinal seats each side and the end communicating door.

Overall this coach therefore seated 52 third (+ nominal 80 standing) and weighed 18 tons 14cwt. Little equipment was fitted below the underframe other than the Westinghouse triple valves for the braking system. Both bogies had a 5' 7" wheelbase and were fitted with 2' 7" diameter wheelsets and weighed 3 tons 7cwt.

Each saloon section had two windows each side, the top level of all the windows along the coach being the same and at the level where the bodyside started to curve to form the roof. The lower edges of the pairs of windows of each end saloon (above the longitudinal seating) was shallower than that of the two windows in the central saloon. All these side windows had a ‘lift and pull inwards’ ventilator section in the top half. At each door opening a half height partition was located each side above which were glazed draught screens and a grab handle.

Lighting was by two rows of incandescent lights along the ceiling, the bulbs being housed within glass shades. Advertisement panels were also fitted above the side windows and the ventilation louvres at each end of the coach either side of the communicating door had chromium plated brass covers with the words “Southern” to one side and “Railway” to the other side of the door.

 

Livery when new

All vehicles when delivered had coach ends, roofs and side doors painted aluminium colour and the bodysides were SR green with the car number in small gold letters above the end windows whilst the word “Southern” appeared in larger shaded script centrally on the bodysides below the central saloon windows.

 

Interior Trim when new

As new, seats were trimmed in surplus ‘Bournemouth Limited’ material identical to that used in loco-hauled coaches recently built or overhauled for use on that line. Seats were topped with a metal handrail, shaped into an arc above each seating place. Interior panelling was covered in cotton-rexine, this panelling being sprayed with asbestos on its inner surface, along with the inside surface of the steel bodyside panelling for insulation and sound deadening. Coach floors were constructed from corrugated steel covered with maple boards and linoleum.

 

Delivery and under Enemy Fire

The full five coach formation used in peak hours was 245' 8¾" long, weighed 114½ tons and seated 236 third (+ nominal 360 standing). A single coach train was 49' 1¾" long, weighed 29¼ tons and seated 40 (+ 60 standing) but some off peak trains were formed of two motorcoaches, therefore being 98' 3½" long, weighing 58½ tons and seating 80 third (+ 120 standing). In theory trains of three and four coaches could be formed with additional trailers, but these formations were not used in service on the line, trailer triples often remaining together for quite long periods. Motor coaches were to Diagram No. 842 whilst trailers were to Diagram No. 846. Trains in service were identified by a letter code displayed on the cab door of the motorcoaches, these being from ‘A’ to ‘E’.

This new stock was delivered by rail from Preston to Wimbledon Park depot between March and July 1940, the stock arriving as five x 5-car trains and followed by a three car formation. The stock was used on test runs on the East Putney line in July, presumably as this route was fitted with tripcock apparatus for the District Line trains which also used it. It is believed that some cars were damaged by enemy action, either on delivery or whilst stored awaiting to be transferred to the W&C line, and these were sent to Lancing for repairs before entering service, certainly eight cars were at Lancing in September, though details of this are unknown.

Once the new trains were tested and run-in, some vehicles were transferred to the Waterloo & City line for clearance tests but until the changeover in the conductor rail systems and the signalling was completed were not able to run under their own power. Installation of the new position conductor rail began in mid-January 1940 during overnight weekday possessions. To enable the stock changeover to be completed, the line was closed for three days between October 27th - 29th and the remaining old stock removed for disposal and replaced by the remainder of the new trains.

The new trains had hardly had time to settle down when the line was damaged by enemy bombs at Waterloo on 8th December, and remained closed until 3rd March 1941, a high explosive bomb penetrating the Down line tunnel close to the Armstrong Hoist siding and the running tunnels were flooded by water from damaged water mains, though the depot itself was not affected. Further bomb damage on the north side of Waterloo on 5th January 1941 affected the Armstrong Hoist, though not seriously, whilst the station at Bank was damaged on 11th January when a bomb penetrated the station concourse and exploded.

Fortunately none of the new stock was badly affected by enemy action, and the line reopened for peak-hour traffic only until the full service was resumed from 15th  April. Trailer 82 was damaged by enemy action at Waterloo on 23rd June 1944 and taken to Clapham Jct. for repairs. During the war the line was opened on Sundays in the evenings from 5 0pm to 10 0pm from March 1943 to cater for service traffic, this ceased however from February 1947 and the line remained closed on Sundays from that time.

 

Maintenance

The depot at Waterloo was equipped to carry out day to day maintenance of the rolling stock and had facilities to lift vehicles to enable bogies to be run-out for overhaul or replacement. Items such as brake blocks were delivered by wagons from Slade Green. These wagons (along with a regular supply of coal wagons to feed to power station which still supplied steam and hot water for use in the station offices at Waterloo, but no longer any traction current for the line itself), being delivered via the Armstrong Hoist, the wagons then being moved by the W&C electric locomotive DS75 from the hoist siding to the depot via the departure platform at Waterloo.

 

Into Service

Car No. 60 was experimentally fitted with cab heaters in January 1945, these were replaced by a new type from English Electric in April 1947 and the whole fleet of motor coaches were then similarly fitted from January 1948. Problems with accumulated rubbish in the door pockets forcing the sliding doors off their bottom runners surfaced about August 1945, and to avoid having to remove some seats, panels and door engines to enable cleaning to take place, all the stock was modified with an opening cleaning door being fitted into the interior panelling, though it took four years before all vehicles were dealt with.

Bogie problems occurred quite quickly with the new stock, with fractures in the motorbogie headstocks appearing as early as October 1941, these were initially repaired by welding in 1942 and new headstocks were fitted in 1943-4. These also began fracturing again and were repaired by reinforcing in 1948 before further new ones were fitted in 1949-50. Trailer bogies were also affected from April 1946 with longitudinal stays fracturing. A special check of bogies was carried out in May 1946 and 12 motorbogies and 29 trailer bogies were discovered to have some fracturing.

There were 46 trailer bogies (two spares) and a programme of repairs was put in hand lasting until mid-October. Ten new trailer bogie frames were manufactured at Ashford early in 1947, these quickly being used to replace defective ones with fresh fractures. Further new bogie frames were then supplied, 10 from Brighton and a further 26 ordered from Ashford, some of the older frames were repaired and retained as spares.

 

Post-war Service

After the war, the train service pattern settled down. During peak hours the trains ran at a three minute frequency, and the service pattern (departure times from Waterloo shown) in 1949 was as follows:-

Single car trains from start of service at 6 46am until 7 18am, then five car trains from 7 24am until 11 33am (with the fifth train in service between 8 30am & 10 0am), single cars again from 11 36am until 3 18pm, then five car trains from 3 24pm until 7 18pm (fifth train in use between 4 15pm and 6 15pm), then two cars from 7 24pm until finish at 7.36pm. Running time was 4 minutes in each direction and trains were allowed 3½ minute turnarounds at each end.

Sets of trailers remained together in numbered triples, though individual cars were substituted from time to time with the spare trailer for maintenance requirements. Motorcoaches, having two spares and greater maintenance requirements, did not run as numbered pairs however. Single coach operation was achieved by uncoupling the Bank-end motorcoach off a five-car train in the sidings at Waterloo, each week the motorcoaches swapped ends of the trains to even‑out the mileage run.

 

First General Overhaul

By 1950, the stock was becoming due for its first general overhaul, the coaches being in basically good condition but now requiring repairs to a number of bodywork items such as doors, locks, seating, windows and grab rails etc. Particular attention was to be paid to the sliding doors and their mechanisms as these were a major source of delays to trains.

Whilst these overhauls were underway the peak-hour service on the line had to be run with only four trains. It was found possible to maintain the peak frequency by reducing the turnaround times at each end, those at Waterloo being cut to 2½ minutes and at Bank to 1 minute 20 seconds. Turnover traincrew workings were introduced at the Bank to save time for this operation and a fitter stationed at both ends to attend to any minor defects that might arise.

A ‘four train’ service was operated experimentally as a trial on 13th December 1949 and was found to work and arrangements were therefore made to commence overhauls of the stock at Lancing works early in 1950. It was planned that each train would be away at Lancing for seven weeks (the first was allowed eight), with a week added on each end for preparation and movement to the surface, or testing on return making 10 weeks in all for each 5-car train.

Coaches for movement to Lancing were brought up to the surface on a Sunday and formed into five coach formations with a motorcoach at each end. The spare coaches at the end of the programme ran as a three car train similarly formed. Departure to Lancing was then on the following Thursday as work was required on the surface to refit the couplers and buffing gear and air hoses etc which had to be removed in the W&C depot to allow the cars to fit onto the Armstrong Hoist.

Trains then ran under their own power to Lancing by way of East Putney, Wimbledon, Epsom, Dorking, Arundel, Ford (reverse) and Worthing. Speed was restricted to 25MPH and to 10MPH over various curves, with through lines rather than platform lines used wherever possible. Both the W&C match wagons were sent to Lancing in advance so as to be available there for shunting the stock within the works. These were DS1665 (ex 34940) a 10 ton 5 plank wagon built by the SR about 1930 with a steel frame, and DS23124 a further 10 ton 5 plank wagon of LBSC origin with a wooden frame. A further wagon, S27796 was similarly converted, all having their buffer heads cut-off at one end and a tube-style coupler fitted below the drawhook. They also later had through air pipes fitted with suitable hose connections at the ‘tube’ end to allow the brakes of the tube cars to be operable.

Both of the spare trailer bogie frames were also at Lancing throughout the period of the overhauls, leaving none at Waterloo to replace any still suffering from fractures, and an extra bogie frame was therefore made in April 1950 to give a float of one at Waterloo. All the wheelsets up to this time still retained their original tyres, though several were now down close to scrapping size (34" for motor wheels and 29" for trailer wheels) and some new tyres were therefore supplied to enable wheelsets to be re-tyred whilst at Lancing.

Two additional motor and two trailer axles were also supplied at this time to increase the spares float. The cars returned from overhaul in similar livery to that on delivery, though the coach number was relocated to waist level at the left hand end of the bodyside on trailers, whilst motor coaches had them at the equipment room end on both sides, this change being made to enable them to be easily read from ground level. The “Southern” wording was obviously dropped from the livery and the coach numbers were now prefixed with a letter ‘S’.

Dates of movements from Waterloo to/from Lancing for the first overhauls of the stock were as follows:-

These dates were all Thursdays, the stock being brought-up from the W&C the previous Sunday and lowered back down on the following Sunday, with then a week long gap before the next train was brought-up The programme was faster than planned as Lancing took only six weeks for trains two to five inclusive.

 

Formation

Date to Lancing

Date from Lancing

57+78+79+80+58

5-Jan-50

2-Mar-50

59+81+82+83+60

16-Mar-50

27-Apr-50

61+84+85+86+62

11-May-50

22-Jun-50

51+74+75+76+52

7-Jul-50

31-Aug-50

53+71+72+73+54

14-Sep-50

26-Oct-50

55+77+56

9-Nov-50

14-Dec-50

                                                                       

Five train working was resumed from 27th November though this meant there were no spare cars at all for another three weeks until the last train arrived back from Lancing.

There were still ongoing problems with bogie fractures between 1953 and 1958, bogies being then sent to Eastleigh for welding repairs and reinforcing. Excessive wear of sidespring hangers was also an ongoing problem, several modifications were tried out, but none were more successful than the original design, and regular replacement of these parts continued to be necessary.

The automatic couplers on the W&C cars were showing signs of wear by 1954, having not been overhauled since new in 1940, these were repaired and reconditioned by LT at Acton works, who also supplied further couplers as a spare float during the overhaul programme. Work commenced in March 1955 and was completed by January 1956.

 

Bank Travolator

Commencing in 1957, a ‘travolator’ was installed at Bank to supplement the steep stairs and footways leading from the platforms, completion of this in September 1960 enabled passengers to be cleared from the platforms more quickly allowing the service frequency to be increased and 17 additional trains run during the peak hours. The frequency during the peak hours was now reduced to 2½ minutes. The stations at both Waterloo and Bank were also modernised at this time.

 

Second General Overhaul

The trains were now becoming due for their second general overhauls. Inspection of the stock revealed that the following items were necessary: attention to exterior body panelling joints and mouldings, window frames to be repainted, alterations to the centre buffers, removal of the interior rexine finish and its replacement by plastic panelling with aluminium joint mouldings, new linoleum laid and all floor trap frames to be replaced by brass instead of aluminium, seats to have springs checked and renewed where necessary and then recovered with moquette, interior metal fittings and seat frames to have their finish renewed, ventilators repaired and made draught proof, replacement of timber mouldings and further strengthening of sliding door top runners.

Also included were the fitting of extra passenger communication valves at each end of trailer coaches, this also to assist staff when these coaches were being shunted with a blind end leading, and various other small alterations. These overhauls were again carried out at Lancing from 1959, though to avoid having to reduce train frequencies, coaches were dealt with in ones & twos, the complete fleet not being completed until December 1963; the last few overhauls becoming rather protracted because of a shortage of traincrews to work the stock from Waterloo to Lancing and back.

It was not possible to send one complete train at a time as had been done in the 1950 overhauls due to the increased service frequency. Motorcoach 58 and trailer 77 were sent to Lancing in May and June 1958 respectively as ‘pilot overhauls’ and various details of the new interior decor were tried out. Neither car was returned to the W&C until February 1959.

One motorcoach with one trailer were then worked as pairs to Lancing until all the motorcoaches were dealt with, this left four trailers outstanding, these were to be sent as pairs (meaning one train formation in service would have to have an intermediate motorcoach in the formation, this being cut‑out to avoid overloading the power supply), but in the event they all went singly.

Movements to and from Lancing were loco‑hauled with the two W&C coaches marshalled between match wagons and a goods brakevan at each end. The dates and identity of the first two pairs of cars sent to Lancing, also the final two pairs and the four individual trailers are known, however the dates and identities of pairs three to ten sent are unknown, though all went between October 1959 and January 1961.

Some of the ‘Southern Railway’ ventilator covers were replaced at various times, some having the word ‘Southern’ replaced by ‘British’, whilst others retained ‘Southern’ but had ‘Railway’ replaced by ‘Region’, and a few were replaced by plain slatted covers with no wording at all.

In common with other SR stock, the Waterloo & City stock was allocated electrical codes during the early 1960’s, the motorcoaches being CW, the trailers DAG.

 

 

1962 Change in Service Patterns

The decline in Saturday working led to the line closing from 14.00hrs on this day from the end of December 1962.

 

 

New Bogies

The problems with bogie fractures was still causing concern. Eastleigh designed a new type of motor and trailer bogie by early 1959, based on drawings supplied by LT of the new bogies which incorporated Metalastik rubber suspension components which had been provided for their ‘1956 stock’ prototype Piccadilly Line trains. The cost of providing a complete set of new bogies for all the Waterloo & City stock was estimated at around £88,000 and there was some reluctance to authorise this expenditure, but continued fatigue cracking of the existing bogies was still a safety concern and they were becoming more and more difficult to repair satisfactorily. The new Eastleigh bogies enabled the existing wheels and axles to be reused, also the existing brake gear.

New bogies were authorised on 6th February 1964 and manufactured at Ashford works. Altogether 58 bogies were made (two spare trailer bogies being provided, one set-up for use under trailer cars, the other with shoebeams fitted and different axleboxes, for use under the non-motored ends of motorcoaches). Initially it was proposed to fit the new bogies at Waterloo (W&C) depot, the underframes of each coach for fitment also requiring some modifications requiring them to be out of use for about one month. However problems with clearances for the lorries used to take the bogies to/from Ashford at the W&C depot led to the work of bogie changing being transferred to Stewarts Lane, this then entailing the cars being brought-up to the surface and loco‑hauled away via Clapham Jct. (reverse) and Longhedge Jct.

The first pair of cars were sent on 20th March (58 & 82) and did not return until 22nd May 1965. Thereafter a further seven pairs of motor/trailer were sent alternately, and then four cycles of motor, trailer, trailer, the last trailer (79) being sent away on 1st December. The last coaches received back at Waterloo with new bogies were 62 & 86 which arrived on 22nd December. Motor 58 was the first so modified and a three coach formation formed of 58 + 82 + 57 ran a trial trip on 19th May from Stewarts Lane to Horsham and back via East Putney and Epsom.

There were teething problems with the new bogies and some minor redesigning was required, particularly the shoebeam support brackets on motorbogies. During this programme, movements between Waterloo and Stewarts Lane usually took place on Saturday afternoons, and the order in which the cars were sent from Waterloo was as follows:- 58, 82, 57, 85, 59, 80, 53, 83, 54, 81, 56, 74, 60, 76, 51, 71, 52, 72, 73, 55, 75, 77, 61, 78, 84, 62, 86, 79.

One motor coach (possibly 62 noted at Winchester 9-67) was sent to Eastleigh in August 1966 in readiness for strain gauge testing of the body, however this had not been commenced in November and the coach was not able to be moved back to Waterloo for some time as the tube match trucks were all fully committed with movements of ex-LT tube stock for the Isle of Wight electrification scheme.

 

Third General Overhaul

By the time the next cycle of general overhauls became due in the early 1970s, Lancing works had closed and the work was transferred to Eastleigh, this time cars were outshopped in BR blue livery, though retaining the silver car ends. Six vehicles were dealt with at Eastleigh from 1970, car 54 early that year, and cars 62, 84, 59, 74 & 85 in that order in 1971 were overhauled there, car 54 being the first into blue livery c.Mar‑70 and cars 62 & 84 being outshopped 19‑Jun‑71, prior to the work being transferred to Selhurst Repair Shop where the remainder were done between January 1972 and July 1975, cars being taken to Selhurst singly, starting with 58. The usual route from Waterloo to Selhurst was via East Putney and St Helier. The last car dealt with at Selhurst , No. 83, took 23 months to overhaul and did not get back to Waterloo until May 1977.

 

1973 ASLEF Dispute

During an ASLEF dispute early in 1973, units not fitted with speedometers were ‘blacked’ for a while, as none of the Waterloo & City fleet were so equipped, the service was suspended from 2nd to 19th March 1973.

 

1975 Asbestos Removal

Motor coaches were taken to Selhurst from early 1975 for removal of asbestos fire shielding, Car No. 55 being the first dealt with, the others all following.

 

Incidents and Interest

There were few serious incidents involving damage to vehicles though a train hit the buffers in Waterloo Sidings 25‑10‑73 and trailer 78 was derailed leaving the sidings at Waterloo 14‑3‑75. A burst water main in Lower Marsh, near the W&C depot on Sunday 23rd November 1975 flooded the nearby depot and running tunnels to a depth of several feet. This caused severe damage to the rolling stock (all of which, except one vehicle, was berthed in the depot), and also badly affected the signalling and track. The line was closed completely until 12th January 1976 when a reduced ‘four train’ service was restored, the full ‘five train’ service resuming from 26th January. After this, one train was outberthed at Bank each night to avoid all the stock being in one place. Five of the motorcoaches were dried-out at Waterloo, but the remaining seven were taken to Wimbledon Park depot for this work in two batches on 3rd & 9th December. LT also assisted with drying-out some equipment at Acton. Sets of trailers were moved to the Bank for storage on 4th December and returned to Waterloo later in the month after the depot had been cleaned-up. Cars 51, 52, 54 & 58 moved to Wimbledon Park 3‑Dec‑73 and returned 29‑Dec‑73 whilst 56, 57 & 59 moved there 9‑Dec‑73, 57 & 59 being returned 31‑Dec‑73 and 56 24‑Jan‑74.

Motorcoach 58 was used for some special CM&EE brake tests between Farnham and Alton during September 1977, probably in connection with the planned fitting of speedometers in all the motor coach cabs, though these had to be quickly suspended and the car returned to Farnham Shed in the event of rain due to the lack of windscreen wipers.

Motorcoach 58 had earlier been moved to Wimbledon Park for test equipment to be fitted, and it moved to Farnham between match wagons 24‑Sep‑77. The test programme involved seven return trips between Farnham and Alton, running from 26‑Sep-77 to 30‑Sep-77 and again the following week 3‑Oct-77 to 7‑Oct-77. The car was slightly damaged when being formed-up with the match wagons on 7‑Oct‑77 but was moved back to Waterloo 12‑Oct‑77 and ran a series of overnight test trips on the Waterloo & City line until 22‑Oct‑77 when it was returned to Wimbledon Park for the test equipment to be removed. It finally returned to Waterloo again 5‑Nov‑77 and went back into traffic once more.

As the cars were only designed for underground use they were not very weatherproof and efforts were made to keep them under cover when on the surface to avoid water damage to equipment.

 

Into TOPS

The stock was included in the BR TOPS computer class numbering scheme, the whole fleet becoming Class 487 in 1975, though they were initially allocated Class 453 between 1972 and 1975.

 

Further Bogie Modifications

Problems with cracking of bogie frames continued, and twenty cars were taken to Wimbledon Park (in five batches of four) between January and October 1978 for bogie strengthening to be carried out. The bogies were taken by road from Wimbledon Park to Swindon for repairs. Another five motorcoaches had the same treatment at Waterloo during normal maintenance and three others were done whilst at Selhurst during their normal overhauls. Whilst these repairs were ongoing, the peak service was again reduced to a ‘four train’ operation.

Further bogie modifications were again required from late 1979 until June 1980, this led to the maximum number of trains on the line being reduced to four whilst these were dealt with. To assist Selhurst depot with this repair programme, some vehicles were dealt with at other workshops, both Stewarts Lane and Wimbledon Park.

All the motorcoaches had their motorbogies modified at Selhurst between November 1979 and April 1980 and most again visited Wimbledon Park between January and September 1980 for modifications to their trailer bogies and the fitting of speedometers. All the trailers were dealt with at Stewarts Lane between January and June 1980.

Repairs on Waterloo & City coaches often took longer than that of other stock owing to the specialist nature of some of the equipment and the lack of spares holdings meaning that components removed often required overhaul and then replacing on the stock rather than the more usual component exchange used with the ‘main line’ fleets. The costs per vehicle were also greater. Whilst the number of vehicles available was reduced, some unusual train formations were occasionally used to utilise those available, including some trains formed with three motorcoaches and two trailers.

 

Fourth General Overhaul

Another cycle of overhauls commenced at Selhurst during 1979, altogether 12 cars being done there. Some of these overhauls took up to 2½ years to complete. The first five emerged in the same livery, but the last seven, from 1980 had the doors, window frames, roofs and car ends, originally in aluminium colour now painted light grey, trailer 85 being the first dealt with, whilst internal panelling was also painted pale grey and the advertisement panels removed. Seating was reupholstered with ‘Bournemouth Blue’ moquette as used in much surface stock at this time.

Motor coach 59 followed and the remaining five vehicles were then steadily dealt with. During these overhauls, some asbestos material was removed from the cars in the asbestos shop at Selhurst. These cars were completed during 1982, and all then carried adhesive posters advertising Phoenix Assurance internally.

 

Signalling Alterations

From 9th August 1981, the signalling on the line was altered to conform with revised BR standards, the signals controlling entry to both platforms at Bank and the Down platform at Waterloo were modified to shown only a yellow aspect when the line was clear into these platforms.

 

New BR Design Codes

New BR design codes were allocated to the Waterloo & City stock by 1980, the motorcoaches becoming EH2.60.0A whilst the trailers were EB2.60.0A.

 

1982 Change in Service Patterns

Train frequencies were amended on the line from 16th January 1982 with trains every 15 minutes on Saturdays, the Saturday opening being slightly reduced with the first train at 07 15 from Waterloo, the last returning at 13 51 from Bank. Only one train was needed to maintain this service.

Economies were made on the Waterloo & City line from 4th October 1982 with a reduction in the peak hour frequency from 2½ to 3 minutes requiring one less train in operation. Train ‘E’ thus disappeared from the working timetables.

This resulted in the withdrawal of the first cars of the ‘1940 stock’, motor coach 52 and trailers 81, 82 & 86 being stored out of use in the North Sidings at Waterloo before being moved to undercover storage at Clapham Jct. All these cars were from the group which had not yet received their fourth overhauls. However cars 62, 79 & 85 were all damaged at Waterloo 7‑Dec‑82 resulting in trailers 81 & 86 being reinstated again and overhauled at Swindon late in 1984, whilst 79 & 85 were repaired.

 

Into Network South-East

The two trailers sent to Swindon for overhaul were then followed by a further motor coach and two more trailers (51, 73 & 78), both these trailers being outshopped in the new NSE red/white/blue livery. This livery as applied to the W&C stock had the new colours on the bodysides only, there were no upswept stripes at the coach ends and the doors, ends & roofs remained painted light grey, though the communicating doors on the coach ends were painted blue.

Another train was damaged following a buffer stop collision at Waterloo 13‑Oct‑86, motor coach 55 having a twisted body and was withdrawn, the remaining coaches (83 + 80 + 84 + 59) being repaired.

The line now came under the auspices of ‘Network South East’ and a major upgrade of the depot facilities at Waterloo were undertaken, these being officially opened on 26th September 1986. New pit roads were provided in sidings 2 and 3 at the depot and overhead cranes installed. As a result much more overhaul work could now be completed on-site avoiding the need to send cars away for overhaul. In the meantime, five more cars were sent to Eastleigh in late 1986/early 1987 for overhaul, (57, 61, 75, 76, 80), these overhauls taking from six to eight months to complete.

All cars were outshopped in NSE livery and motor coach 57 was fitted with fluorescent lighting and a PA system during overhaul, though this remained the only car so fitted. Trailers 71 & 79 were both stored during June 1987, 71 in the depot and 79 in North Sidings. Both these were eventually taken by rail to Wimbledon Park in November 1989 and subsequently moved by road to Vic Berry at Leicester in October 1990 for scrapping.

The 16 cars still remaining in blue livery were all repainted into NSE livery at Waterloo from 1987, the 23 cars then remaining in traffic now enabling four 5-car trains to be formed along with two spare motorcoaches and one spare trailer.

 

Waterloo International

Major redevelopment of Waterloo Station to include a new terminal for Channel Tunnel trains was planned to commence in 1990. The site of the new International Platforms was to be on the north side of the existing station, replacing the former ‘Windsor Line’ station and all of the area occupied by the North Sidings.

As part of this the Armstrong Hoist would have to be demolished, this took place in April 1990, thereby trapping the 23 surviving coaches on the Waterloo & City line. It was also announced during early 1990 that new rolling stock was to be provided for the line enabling all the ‘1940 stock’ to be scrapped. The new stock was proposed to be introduced in August 1992, but this slipped and the old trains eventually had to continue in service until 28th May 1993.

A further motor coach, 58, was withdrawn from 28‑Sep‑92 following collision damage sustained at Waterloo 10‑Apr‑91, leaving only one spare motorcoach and one trailer available. Further modifications were made at the depot to allow the old cars to be lifted out by heavy road cranes and the replacement ones to be lowered in. This situation remained static until trailer 81 was withdrawn 22‑Feb‑93, and train ‘C’ was taken out of service the following day due to defects. On this day the formation of the trains was as follows: (Bank End motorcoach shown first)

 

Train ‘A’

54+78+73+72+53

Train ‘B’

51+75+80+85+61

Train ‘D’

57+74+76+77+59

Spare

62, also 56+86 ex Train ‘C’

Defective

83+84+60 ex Train ‘C’

Withdrawn

58, 81

       

The withdrawal of train ‘C’ caused the peak hour service to be reduced from 23‑Feb‑93, and a 2-car formation using 56+62 was used on occasions off‑peak. Some items of equipment were then transferred between cars to enable the three defective ones to be put back into service from 26‑Apr‑93 and train ‘C’ was restored to use formed 60+84+86+83+56, spare car 62 now being out of use and withdrawn from 30‑Apr‑93.

For the last weeks of operation these formations then remained unchanged as:

 

Train ‘A’

54+78+73+72+53

Train ‘B’

51+80+75+85+61

Train ‘D’

60+84+86+83+56

Train ‘C’

57+76+74+77+59

       

Some of the trailers had swapped positions so that each train had coaches with the Network SouthEast logos on the second and fourth coaches (the centremost coaches carried no logos). These had paper labels affixed over them with the wording “On 28 May we say Goodbye to the City” in large capitals, with much smaller wording saying “New trains from 10 July”. However, the NSE logos on the motorcoaches were still visible.

 

Final Day of Service

On the final day of service all four trains operated their full normal schedules, the first out of service being Train ‘D’ arriving Waterloo at 18.37, followed at 19.52 by Train ‘A’ and Train ‘B’ at 20.25. Train ‘C’ then operated the final journey from Waterloo at 20.30 carrying paper labels on both cab ends saying “Transforming the Waterloo & City line - The very last old train 28 May 1993”. This train arrived at Bank at 20.34 and departed again at 20.36 arriving back at Waterloo at 20.40 where it was shunted to the departure platform and motorcoach 56 detached and taken into the depot. After that, the traction current was switched off and all the ‘1940’ stock was then withdrawn for removal from the line in the next few weeks. The Waterloo & City line then remained closed until 19th July (one week longer than planned) before reopening equipped with 10 new Class 482 4-car trains.

The old stock was craned out of the depot as follows (in order cars were removed):

 

Saturday 29 May

56, 54, 59, 57, 76, 74, 77 & 78

Sunday 30 May

72, 73, 53, 83, 86, 84 & 60

Saturday 12 June

80, 75, 85, 51 & 61

 

 

Car 61, the last to leave was brought-up without its bogies and handled more carefully than the others as this car was destined for preservation at the National Railway Museum in York.

 

English Electric Works Numbers

When built, the cars were allocated an English Electric ‘works number’, these being:

Motor coaches

51   1141

in sequence until

62   1152

 

Trailers

71   1153

in sequence until

86   1168

 

Match Wagons

Match Wagons used for Waterloo & City car stock movements.

In use 1970 - 1980

DB459046     ‘Grampus’ type open wagon.

DB461123     ‘Grampus’ type open wagon.

 

 

In use by 1980.

Converted from ‘lowfits’ all built at Shildon.

TOPS code - ZSW.

ADB452339  Flat ‘match’ wagon, built 1957, LOT 2461

ADB452732  Flat ‘match’ wagon, built 1957, LOT 2729.

ADB453241  Flat ‘match’ wagon, built 1957, LOT 2998.

ADB453255  Flat ‘match’ wagon, built 1957, LOT 2998.

 


INDIVIDUAL CAR NOTES

MOTOR CARS

51           Delivered to SR 7‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 7‑7‑50, returned to Waterloo 31‑8‑50. Car damaged at Waterloo 9‑12‑52 and to Lancing for repairs 29‑12‑52. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c9‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst during 1974, released 24‑8‑74 in blue/silver livery. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 3‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 29‑12‑75. Bogie strengthening work carried out at Waterloo during first half of 1978. Fourth overhaul at Swindon between 17‑12‑84 and c12‑2‑85. Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 12‑6‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 25‑6‑93 and cut‑up 28‑6‑93.

52           Delivered to SR 7‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 7‑7‑50, returned to Waterloo 31‑8‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c10‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst about August 1971 when painted blue/silver. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 3‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 29‑12‑75. Bogie strengthening work carried out at Waterloo during first half of 1978. This car did not receive a fourth overhaul and was withdrawn in October 1982, being brought-up 1‑10‑82 and stored at Clapham Jct. It was later sent to Mayer Newman, Snailwell for scrapping on a Warwell wagon 26‑5‑88, arriving there 30‑8‑88 and burnt 7‑9‑88.

53           Delivered to SR 14‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 14‑9‑50, returned to Waterloo 26‑10‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 26‑1‑61, returned to Waterloo 20‑3‑61. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c7‑65. To Selhurst for third overhaul 20‑5‑72, released 5‑8‑72 and painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 24‑5‑78 and released 23‑6‑78. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst and released 4‑6‑82 with grey car ends. To Clapham Yard 8‑6‑85 and on to Wimbledon Park 5‑8‑85 for wheel lathe, returned to Waterloo 15‑8‑85. To Selhurst for repairs 21‑3‑86 and returned to Waterloo 29‑4‑86. At Selhurst once again for painting into NSE livery and released 15‑3‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 3‑6‑93 and cut‑up 4‑6‑93.

54           Delivered to SR 14‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 14‑9‑50, returned to Waterloo 26‑10‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c8‑65. To Eastleigh for third overhaul early in 1970 and was first W&C car outshopped in BR blue livery with unpainted aluminium car ends 12‑3‑70. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 3‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 29‑12‑75. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst in first half of 1978, bogie strengthening work undertaken whilst there, and car also sent to Strawberry Hill 9‑10‑79 for asbestos stripping, returning to Selhurst 5‑11‑79 thence back to Waterloo 8‑11‑79. To Selhurst for repairs 28‑4‑86 returning to Waterloo 23‑6‑86. Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo 8‑2‑87. Car to Eastleigh for emergency rewire 28‑3‑89 and returned 21‑4‑89. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 12‑7‑93 and cut‑up 27‑7‑93.

55           Delivered to SR 29‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 9‑11‑50, returned to Waterloo 14‑12‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 27‑3‑61, returned to Waterloo 23‑6‑61. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c10‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst in 1975 and outshopped in blue/silver livery. Bogie strengthening work carried out at Waterloo during first half of 1978. Car damaged in a buffer stop collision at Waterloo 13‑10‑86 and body frame twisted resulting in car being withdrawn, officially from 21‑9‑89. It was then stored in the North Sidings at Waterloo until scrapped by contractors from Vic Berry, Leicester on site during January and February 1990.

56           Delivered to SR 29‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 9‑11‑50, returned to Waterloo 14‑12‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul mid‑1960, returned to Waterloo 19‑11‑60. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c8‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst from 21‑8‑72 and released 27‑1‑73 when painted blue/silver. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 9‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 24‑1‑76. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑1‑78, returning to Waterloo 8‑2‑78, and visited Wimbledon Park again 8‑80 for trailer bogie repairs. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst c1980, released with grey car ends. Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 13‑7‑93 and cut‑up 27‑7‑93.

57           Delivered to SR 17‑5‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 5‑1‑50, returned to Waterloo 2‑3‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 11‑8‑59 and returned to Waterloo 23‑9‑59. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c5‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst between 1972 & 1975 and painted blue/silver. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 9‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 31‑12‑75. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 13-4-78, returning to Waterloo 14‑5‑78. Visited Selhurst in early 1980 and released 12‑4‑80. Fourth overhaul at Eastleigh from 25‑3‑86, and fitted with fluorescent lighting and released in NSE livery 23‑10‑86. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 25‑6‑93 and cut‑up 29‑6‑93.

58           Delivered to SR 17‑5‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 5‑1‑50, returned to Waterloo 2‑3‑50. To Lancing as ‘pilot’ for second overhauls 16‑5‑58 and returned to Waterloo 13‑2‑59. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 4‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst from 22nd January 1972, being released in April in blue/silver, the first to be dealt with there. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 3‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 29‑12‑75. Bogie strengthening work carried out at Waterloo during first half of 1978. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst c1979. Moved to Clapham Yard 8‑10‑85 and back to Waterloo 13‑12‑85. Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Car damaged in a buffer stop collision at Waterloo 10‑4‑91 and withdrawn 28‑9‑92. Car removed from W&C by crane 8‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 10‑5‑93 and cut‑up 13‑5‑93.

59           Delivered to SR 20‑6‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 16‑3‑50, returned to Waterloo 27‑4‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c6‑65. To Eastleigh for third overhaul in October 1971 and released in blue/silver livery. Taken to Wimbledon Park for flood damage repairs 9‑12‑75, back to Waterloo 31‑12‑75. Bogie strengthening work carried out at Waterloo during first half of 1978. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst about 9‑80, released with grey car ends 21‑1‑81. Moved to Clapham Yard 14‑8‑85 and back to Waterloo 2‑10‑85. Painted into NSE livery at Selhurst 25‑1‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 25-6‑93 and cut‑up 28‑6‑93.

60           Delivered to SR 20‑6‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 16‑3‑50, returned to Waterloo 27‑4‑50. Car damaged at Waterloo 6‑8‑57 and to Lancing for repairs 19‑8‑57, returning to Waterloo 29‑8‑57. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c9‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst about November 1974 and painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 28‑2‑78, returning to Waterloo 5‑4‑78. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst and released 14‑11‑84 with grey car ends. Moved to Wimbledon Park 17‑1‑85, then on to Selhurst, returning to Waterloo after repairs and NSE repaint 7‑7‑86. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 2-6‑93 and cut‑up 3‑6‑93.

61           Delivered to SR 2‑7‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 11‑5‑50, returned to Waterloo 22‑6‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c11‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst during 1974 and painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 10‑12‑77. To Wimbledon Park once again for bogie repairs 6‑7‑78 and released 20‑8‑78. To Selhurst for repair 15‑2‑84 and returned 6‑3‑84. Fourth overhaul at Eastleigh from 22‑12‑86, released in NSE livery. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 12‑6‑93 (without bogies). Car then taken to the National Railway Museum at York arriving there 23‑6‑93. It was first put on public display from mid‑July. It was moved to the LT Museum outstation at Acton by road 6‑4‑06.

62           Delivered to SR 2‑7‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 11‑5‑50, returned to Waterloo 22‑6‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 12‑65. Also visited Eastleigh during autumn 1967, noted in Winchester Yard during September en route back to Waterloo Visited Selhurst in Spring 1968 (noted at Sutton en route there 6‑4‑68 and returned 18‑6‑68) for repairs. To Eastleigh for third overhaul during March 1971 and painted blue/silver, returned to Waterloo 19‑6‑71. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst early in 1978, bogie strengthening work undertaken whilst there and released 10‑3‑78. Slightly damaged in buffer stop collision at Waterloo 7‑12‑82. Car back to Selhurst for repairs 16‑12‑85, and was sent from Waterloo to Eastleigh for an emergency rewire 28‑3‑89, returning to Waterloo 17‑4‑89. It was painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Car withdrawn 30‑4‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 8‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 10‑5‑93 and cut‑up 16‑5‑93.


TRAILER CARS

71           Delivered to SR 7‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 14‑9‑50, returned to Waterloo 26‑10‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 18‑10‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst between 1972 & 1975 and painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑7‑78, returning to Waterloo 20‑8‑78. To Selhurst for repair 25‑1‑84 and released 16‑2‑84. This car did not receive a fourth overhaul and was withdrawn 6‑87 and stored in the North Sidings at Waterloo. It was later moved to Wimbledon Park 16‑11‑89 and taken from there by road to Vic Berry, Leicester for scrapping 13‑10‑90.

72           Delivered to SR 7‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 14‑9‑50, returned to Waterloo 26‑10‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul mid‑1960, returned to Waterloo 19‑11‑60. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c10‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst by3‑72, being released 8‑7‑72 painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 24‑5‑78, returning to Waterloo 23‑6‑78. Car sent to Stewarts Lane for bogie repairs 3‑80. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst in 1981, released with grey car ends 26‑11‑81. Car at Selhurst again for repainted into NSE livery 8‑3‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 16-6‑93 and cut‑up the same day.

73           Delivered to SR 7‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 14‑9‑50, returned to Waterloo 26‑10‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 2‑11‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst from 25‑5‑74 and painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑7‑78, returning to Waterloo 20‑8‑78. Car to Selhurst for asbestos repair 16‑12‑83 and released 15‑1‑84. Fourth overhaul at Swindon from 3‑10‑85, released in NSE livery 25‑9‑86 and back to Waterloo c1‑10‑86. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 7-6‑93 and cut‑up 10‑6‑93.

74           Delivered to SR 14‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 7‑7‑50, returned to Waterloo 31‑8‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 26‑1‑61, returned to Waterloo 20‑3‑61. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c8‑65. To Eastleigh for third overhaul c8-71, released 10‑71 in blue/silver. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst from late 1978, bogie strengthening work undertaken whilst there and released 9‑2‑79. Car back at Selhurst for NSE livery repaint 15‑2‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M..C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 16-6‑93 and cut‑up 17‑6‑93.

75           Delivered to SR 14‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 7‑7‑50, returned to Waterloo 31‑8‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 27‑3‑61, returned to Waterloo 23‑6‑61. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c11‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst about September 1973 when painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑1‑78, returning to Waterloo 8‑2‑78. To Selhurst for repairs 4‑7‑83 and returned to Waterloo 25‑7‑83 but sent back again 2‑8‑83 and back to Waterloo once more 15‑8‑83. Fourth overhaul at Eastleigh from 9‑10‑86 and released in NSE livery. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 12‑6‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 16-6‑93 and cut‑up the same day.

76           Delivered to SR 14‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 7‑7‑50, returned to Waterloo 31‑8‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 5‑11‑63, returned to Waterloo 12‑63. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 11‑10‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst in 1974, released 8‑11‑74 in blue/silver livery. Derailed on lift siding points 25‑11‑74. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑1‑78, returning to Waterloo 8‑2‑78. Fourth overhaul at Eastleigh from 15‑4‑87, released in NSE livery 15‑12‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 5-6‑93 and cut‑up 7‑6‑93.

77           Delivered to SR 29‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 9‑11‑50, returned to Waterloo 14‑12‑50. To Lancing as 'pilot' for second overhauls 23‑6‑58 and returned to Waterloo 13‑2‑59. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 6‑12‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst in 1973, outshopped 25‑8‑73 in blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 13‑4‑78, returning to Waterloo 14‑5‑78. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst mid 1983, released with grey car ends 5‑12‑83. Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 4-6‑93 and cut‑up 6‑6‑93.

78           Delivered to SR 29‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 5‑1‑50, returned to Waterloo 2‑3‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul 11‑8‑59 and returned to Waterloo 23‑9‑59. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c11‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst during 1975 when painted blue/silver. Car slightly damaged in derailment at Waterloo Depot Sidings 14‑3‑75. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 13‑4‑78, returning to Waterloo 14‑5‑78. To Selhurst for repairs 22‑9‑83, returning 3‑10‑83. Fourth overhaul at Swindon from 24‑10‑85, released in NSE livery 28‑10‑86. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 29‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 2-6‑93 and cut‑up 6‑6‑93.

79           Delivered to SR 29‑3‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 5‑1‑50, returned to Waterloo 2‑3‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 6‑12‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst from 8‑9‑73 and released 25‑5‑74 in blue/silver livery. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 13‑4‑78, returned to Waterloo 14‑5‑78. Slightly damaged in buffer stop collision at Waterloo 7‑12‑82. This car did not receive a fourth overhaul and was withdrawn 6‑87 and stored in the North Sidings at Waterloo. It was officially withdrawn from 21‑9‑89 and later moved to Wimbledon Park 16‑11‑89 and taken from there by road to Vic Berry, Leicester for scrapping 13‑10‑90.

80           Delivered to SR 17‑5‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 5‑1‑50, returned to Waterloo 2‑3‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 9‑7‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst 20‑7‑74, released 21‑9‑74 in blue/silver livery. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑1‑78, returned to Waterloo 8‑2‑78. Fourth overhaul at Eastleigh by May 1987, released in NSE livery 29‑5‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 12‑6‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 18-6‑93 and cut‑up 20‑6‑93.

81           Delivered to SR 17‑5‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 16‑3‑50, returned to Waterloo 27‑4‑50. Car damaged at Waterloo 9‑12‑52 and to Lancing for repairs, returned to Waterloo 23‑12‑52. To Lancing for second overhaul 14‑8‑61, returned to Waterloo 5‑3‑62. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c8‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst between 1972 & 1975 and painted blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 28‑2‑78, returned to Waterloo 5‑4‑78. Car withdrawn 2‑10‑82 but reinstated briefly 10‑12‑82 to cover damaged stock, and sent to Clapham Yard 15‑5‑84 for undercover storage. It was then reinstated in October 1984 and sent for its fourth overhaul at Swindon 2‑10‑84, being released 1‑10‑85. Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Car withdrawn 22‑2‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 8‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 10‑5‑93 and cut‑up 14‑5‑93.

82           Delivered to SR 17‑5‑40. Slightly damaged by enemy action at Waterloo 23‑6‑44 and taken to Clapham Jct. for repairs. To Lancing for overhaul 16‑3‑50, returned to Waterloo 27‑4‑50. Car damaged at Waterloo 9‑12‑52 and to Lancing for repairs, returned to Waterloo 23‑12‑52. To Lancing for second overhaul 30‑3‑62, returned to Waterloo 30‑10‑62. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 4‑65, first coach to run in traffic so fitted 27‑5‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst from 29‑7‑72 and released 18‑11‑72 in blue/silver livery. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 28‑2‑78, returned to Waterloo 5‑4‑78. This car did not receive a fourth overhaul and was withdrawn in 2‑10‑82 and stored at Clapham Yard. It was later sent to Mayer Newman, Snailwell for scrapping 26‑5‑88 on a Warwell wagon, arriving there 30‑8‑88 and burnt 6‑9‑88.

83           Delivered to SR 20‑6‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 16‑3‑50, returned to Waterloo 27‑4‑50. Car damaged at Waterloo 9‑12‑52 and to Lancing for repairs 29‑12‑52. To Lancing for second overhaul 25‑3‑63, returned to Waterloo c10‑63. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 30‑7‑65. To Selhurst for third overhaul 6‑75, though not returned to Waterloo until 14‑5‑77 now blue/silver. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 28‑2‑78, returned to Waterloo 5‑4‑78. No fourth overhaul, but painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 18-6‑93 and cut‑up 21‑6‑93.

84           Delivered to SR 20‑6‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 11‑5‑50, returned to Waterloo 22‑6‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 12‑65. To Eastleigh for third overhaul during May 1971, returned to Waterloo 19‑6‑71 in blue/silver livery. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst and released 4‑12‑77. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 6‑7‑78, returned to Waterloo 20‑8‑78. Painted into NSE livery at Selhurst 15‑2‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 18-6‑93 and cut‑up 22‑6‑93.

85           Delivered to SR 20‑6‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 11‑5‑50, returned to Waterloo 22‑6‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane c6‑65. To Eastleigh for third overhaul 17‑11‑71 and released 4‑1‑72 in blue/silver livery. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 24‑5‑78, returned to Waterloo 23‑6‑78. Fourth overhaul at Selhurst during 1979 and sent on to Strawberry Hill for asbestos strip 9‑10‑79, returning to Selhurst 5‑11‑79, released with grey car ends 12‑7‑80. Slightly damaged in buffer stop collision at Waterloo 7‑12‑82. Back at Selhurst for NSE repaint 25‑1‑87. Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 12‑6‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 18-6‑93 and cut‑up 20‑6‑93.

86           Delivered to SR 2‑7‑40. To Lancing for overhaul 11‑5‑50, returned to Waterloo 22‑6‑50. To Lancing for second overhaul late 1959/1960. New bogies fitted at Stewarts Lane 12‑65. Third overhaul at Selhurst and released 3‑73 in blue/silver livery. To Wimbledon Park for bogie strengthening work 24‑5‑78, returned to Waterloo 23‑6‑78. Car withdrawn 2‑10‑82 but reinstated briefly 10‑12‑82 to cover damaged stock and sent to Clapham Yard for undercover storage 16‑5‑84. It was then reinstated in late 1984 and sent for its fourth overhaul at Swindon 2‑10‑84, being released 22‑10‑85. Sent to Selhurst for repairs 16‑12‑85 Painted into NSE livery at Waterloo (date?). Withdrawn 28‑5‑93 and removed from W&C by crane 30‑5‑93 and sent to M.C. Metals, Glasgow for scrapping, arriving there 18-6‑93 and cut‑up 20‑6‑93.

 

Thanks go to author John Atkinson with assistance from C. Watts

 

 

 

Home

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Contact

 

 

 

 

 

 

Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk Blood and Custard Blood & Custard Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Plum and Spilt Milk