BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard

 

© BloodandCustard

Southern Railway

4 COR

(4 COR /4 RES /4 BUF /4 GRI /4 PUL /4 COR(N)

 

3149 3107 coming of the Cliftonville Spur Aug Sep 1963 copyright Ian Nolan.jpg

4 COR no. 3149 leading 3107 off the
Cliftonville Spur, Hove in August or September 1963

© Ian Nolan

 

Contents

Unit liveries

4 RES
3054-3072

4 BUF
3072-3085

4 COR
3101-3158

4 COR
3159-3168

4 GRI
3086-3088

4 PUL /4 COR(N)

 

Portsmouth Lines Corridor Stock

Electrification to Portsmouth

Following the success of the main line electrification of the Central Section lines, the Southern Railway pressed ahead with plans to extend the system on both the main routes to Portsmouth. These schemes came to fruition as follows:

1.

The Portsmouth No. 1 Electrification in July 1937 covering the lines from Hampton Court Jct. to Portsmouth Harbour via Woking and Guildford also the lines from Woking to Alton and from Weybridge to Staines.

2.

The Portsmouth No. 2 Electrification in July 1938 covering the lines from Dorking North to Havant, Three Bridges to Horsham, West Worthing to Ford and the branches to Littlehampton and Bognor Regis.

 

 

Portsmouth No.1 Electrification Scheme

The Portsmouth No. 1 scheme was estimated to cost about £3,000,000, covered 242 track miles and involved quite a number of other works to improve capacity and facilities. Major works (which commenced from October 1935) included the rebuilding of stations at Woking and Havant to provide platforms 820' in length in order to accommodate 12-car electric trains. Other stations also had platforms extended to this length, these being Guildford, Haslemere and both Portsmouth stations at Southsea (High Level) and Harbour.

Track layouts were altered at Haslemere (the Up line was made available to Down trains when required), Havant (new platforms were located outside of new centre Through lines) and the installation of a Down Relief line between Fratton and Portsmouth & Southsea. There were also numerous smaller changes at other stations.

To accommodate the new rolling stock, new carriage sheds were built at Wimbledon Park, whilst other sheds there were also enlarged, and at Farnham (5 roads) and Fratton (4 roads) all these sheds being capable of holding 12-coach trains except those at Fratton which only took 8-coaches. Carriage washing machines were also installed at Wimbledon and Fratton.

Resignalling work was also extensive with colour light signals being installed between Woking and Guildford (from 27th June 1937), at Haslemere (from 18th July 1937), from Havant to Farlington Jct. (from 27th June 1937) and between Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour (from 20th June 1937). Other sections were split with new intermediate signals installed (both semaphore and colour light).

Power was supplied for this extension taken from the CEGB at both Portsmouth and Woking, with electrical control rooms located at both Woking (controlling 19 substations) and Havant (controlling 7 substations). All the new substations followed the now standard pattern of unmanned rectifier substations; Guildford’s rotary converter being replaced. The capacity of the Durnsford Road Power Station was also increased to cope with extra demand in the suburban area.

Trial running of electric trains commenced as far as Woking from 1st November 1936, and between Weybridge and Virginia Water from 30th November, with the full service on this section starting from 3rd January 1937, with some electric trains also reaching Guildford and Farnham from this date. Through working to Portsmouth began on 11th April 1937 and the full service was inaugurated from 4th July 1937.

Like the previous main line extensions, the new train service was generous with two stopping trains each hour leaving Waterloo and running fast to Surbiton then calling at all stations, splitting at Woking into Portsmouth and Alton portions. Fast trains (most with restaurant cars) ran each hour calling only at Guildford, Haslemere and Portsmouth & Southsea. The Weybridge to Staines section was served half hourly by portions off the Waterloo to Windsor trains which divided at Staines. The usual business extra services operated during the rush hours, when the Weybridge - Staines line also had through services via Surbiton and the Alton line had some complete trains formed with the corridor stock.

 

Portsmouth No. 2 Electrification Scheme

Work on the Portsmouth No. 2 electrification scheme commenced before the completion of the Portsmouth No.1 electrification scheme. Estimated to cost about £2,750,000 it covered 165 track miles.

As part of this scheme a new station was provided at Horsham (with two 820' island platforms) whilst platforms were extended at Sutton, Dorking North, Pulborough, Arundel, Littlehampton, Barnham, Bognor Regis and Chichester. Platform extensions also took place at Shoreham-by-Sea and Worthing Central with the coastal Halts being lengthened to mostly accommodate 6-car trains as well as provision being made for them to be staffed.

Carriage sheds were provided at Littlehampton (3 roads) and Streatham Hill (8 roads, four for 12 coaches, the remainder for 8 coaches). Littlehampton also had a carriage washer installed. Extra electrified sidings were provided at New Cross Gate, Streatham Hill, Littlehampton, Barnham and Bognor Regis. A centre reversing siding was provided at West Worthing to allow reversal of local trains from Brighton clear of the running lines, and a Down Bay was provided at Chichester.

Signalling alterations were less extensive than the Portsmouth No.1 electrification scheme but colour light signals were installed controlled by new signalboxes at Dorking North (from 15th May 1938) and Horsham (from 24th April 1938); new boxes were also built at Arundel and Bognor.

Power for the new scheme was taken from three existing CEGB locations at Portsmouth, Leatherhead and Fishersgate; there were 20 rectifier substations all supervised by a much-extended control room at Havant. Existing rotary converter equipment was replaced at Leatherhead and Dorking with the recovered equipment being reused to uprate the power supply in the London area.

Trial running of electric stock began from 3rd April 1938 and the full service was introduced from 3rd July 1938. The first through electric train reached Portsmouth on 11th April 1938, whilst the first public trains ran on 19th May 1938 when an 8 COR was used as a relief train to 11 50am and 3 50pm from Waterloo and the 1 40pm and 7 57pm from Portsmouth Harbour.

As customary, the new services were an improvement of existing frequencies with regular interval interconnecting services. An hourly fast train ran from Victoria (most with buffet cars) calling at Sutton, Dorking North, Horsham, Pulborough, Arundel and Barnham where they divided for Portsmouth Harbour and Bognor, the Portsmouth portion calling at Chichester, Havant and Portsmouth & Southsea. However, a few trains ran via Three Bridges to Horsham calling at East Croydon, Redhill and Three Bridges, then forward as those via Sutton.

The existing Victoria to West Worthing fast trains were extended to Littlehampton. A half hourly stopping train ran from Three Bridges via Horsham to Littlehampton, alternate trains continuing to Bognor, whilst a shuttle from Arundel to Littlehampton connected out of the fast Victoria via Sutton trains.

Two trains each hour from Waterloo to Dorking were extended, one to Holmwood, the other to Horsham. Six trains each hour left Brighton westwards, ½ hourly all stations to West Worthing, ½ hourly to Portsmouth calling at Hove, Shoreham, Worthing, one then all stations to Portsmouth Harbour the other a semi-fast stopping only at Barnham, Chichester, Fratton and Portsmouth & Southsea, this train having a connection from Chichester calling at all stations to Portsmouth & Southsea.

The final pair from Brighton, again at ½ hourly intervals consisted of a further West Worthing local and a Brighton to Bognor via Littlehampton local. The usual business enhancements were also provided, with some trains running to London Bridge which was not served in slack hours.

 

 

The 1.50 pm Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour, made up of a 4 COR and a 4 RES passing through Weybridge. The leading 4 COR unit (no. 3101) was the very first of its type entering service in 30th January 1937.

Badly damaged by a V1 blast at Wimbledon Park on 29th June 1944, the leading motorcoach (no.11244) was a replacement from 4 BUF unit 3080 (which had also been damaged by enemy action early in 1944).

Unit no.3101 was withdrawn 1st January 1972 and moved to T. W. Ward Ltd (Beighton) for scrapping on 13th April 1972. On the left is an SR-designed 4 EPB unit waiting to depart to Staines via Addlestone. The photographer (Ben Booksbank) stated “I always took the bag at bottom right with me".

© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

 

Portsmouth Electrification Rolling Stock

The additional rolling stock for the stopping services was in the form of further 2 BIL stock, units 2011 ‑ 2048 being provided for the Portsmouth No. 1 electrification scheme, whilst 2049 ‑ 2116 followed for the Portsmouth No. 2 electrification scheme and further 2 NOL units 1883 ‑ 1890 were authorised for the No. 1 scheme to cover the Staines - Weybridge requirements. Some of the trains between Worthing and Littlehampton were covered by the existing Brighton line 6-car units, both 6 PUL and 6 PAN units being used, and a few 4 LAV units now ventured to Bognor along the coast.

For the express workings, three new types of unit were constructed at Eastleigh works on frames built at Lancing, though some vehicles were constructed by Metro‑Cammell and B.R.C.W. These were introduced in two batches, the first in 1937 for the Portsmouth No. 1 electrification scheme being nineteen four‑car corridor units with restaurant cars (4 RES) and twenty nine four-car corridor units (4 COR). The second batch in 1938 comprised thirteen four‑car corridor units with buffet car (4 BUF) and a further twenty-six 4 COR sets, these being intended for use on the lines electrified under the Portsmouth No.2 electrification scheme. However, some of these units also saw use on the Brighton line from the outset.

 

 

 

© Glen Woods collection

 

 

Unit Ordering

The following table shows details of the vehicles ordered for the COR/RES/BUF units.

 

Vehicle

Type

Weight

Seating

Builder

Date

Diag.

Elec.

Nos.

 

Tons

Cwt

1st

U

2nd

 

 

No.

Code

10055-10109

TTK

32

13

-

-

52

Eastleigh

1937/8

2009

BB

11081-11254

MBT

46

10

-

-

68

Eastleigh

1937/8

2114

A (Even)
A‑1A (Odd)

11791-11858

TCK

32

11

30

-

24

Eastleigh

1937/8

2309

BA

12232-12250

TFK

33

0

42

-

-

Met. Cammell

1937

2505

BD

12518-12530

Buffet

37

2

-

26

-

Eastleigh

1938

2601

BE

12601-12619

Dining

35

7

-

36

-

B.R.C.W.

1937

2571

BC

 

Orders were placed for these vehicles as follows:

(Note, only details for vehicles built by the SR are shown, separate contracts were let for the contractor built trailers in the 4 RES units).

                                        

1937 order (dated 14th May 1936)

Unit type

Vehicle type

Underframe
HO No.

Bodywork
order No.

4 RES

MBT

6173

924

4 COR

MBT

6173

924

 

TCK

6240

925

 

TTK

6240

926

 

1938 order (dated 6th November 1936)

Unit type

Vehicle type

Underframe
HO No.

Bodywork
order No.

4 BUF

MBT

6839

951

 

TCK

6840

951

 

Buffet

6840?

951

4 COR

MBT

6839

950

 

TCK

6840

950

 

TTK

6840

950

 

Two further HO numbers were issued to cover ‘finishing work’ at Eastleigh on the cars delivered from contractors, these, dated 9th June 1936, being HO 931 for Diner Firsts 12232 - 12250 and HO 932 for Kitchen Diner Thirds 12601 - 12619.

Each vehicle was 66' 3" long over buffers, 63' 6" over body with bogie centres at 44' 6" and were slightly wider than the standard width (9' 3") at 9' 4½". All units were 264' 6" long. Trailer bogies were 8' 0" wheelbase leaf sprung and weighed 5¾ tons whilst motorbogies were 9' 0" wheelbase and weighed 15 tons 17cwt complete with motors; these were to an improved ‘equalising beam’ type as fitted to the 6 PAN units.

Motorcoaches had only one power bogie (at the driving end) fitted with EE 163 motors, these being to an improved design with extra ribbing on the motor case to improve heat dissipation and were nominally rated at 250hp, though often quoted as 225hp as with the earlier ones in the 6-car sets. This resulted in the ‘Portsmouth’ stock having a lower power-to-weight ratio than the earlier 6-car sets.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Southern Railway’s Chief Mechanical Engineer Richard Maunsell may have sought to equip each motorcoach with two power bogies but was overridden by a cost-conscious General Manager (Herbert Walker).

During the war, no less than twenty-five cars were lost to enemy action and were replaced by newly built replacements to the original designs in 1945/6, though three dining cars were replaced as TTKs (nos. 10110 – 10112), two TFKs were replaced as TCKs (nos. 11859/60) and a damaged TFK (no. 12232) rebuilt as TCK 11861. Three of the 4 RES units were thus replaced as 4 COR units.

These replacement cars were ordered as follows:

Underframes for MBT vehicles HO 5734, for trailer vehicles HO 5736.

Bodywork numbers were MBT 3075, TTK 3078 and TCK 3079.

The replacement motor brake thirds were built at Eastleigh, and the trailers at Lancing. However, there is some doubt as the where the underframes were built.

 

 

 

 

3149 3109 Cliftonville Spur Aug Sep 1963 copyright Ian Nolan.jpg

4 COR no. 3107 being led by 3149 off the
Cliftonville Spur, Hove in August or September 1963

© Ian Nolan

 

Portsmouth Units into Service

Units delivered for the Portsmouth No. 1 electrification scheme were similarly equipped on cab ends to the PUL/PAN/BEL sets with only a control jumper at high level under the offside cab window, with low level air pipes. However, early in their lives a further power jumper was provided under the window on the driver’s side, this being done to facilitate coupling-up once the units began working on the Portsmouth No. 2 electrification scheme where regular splitting /joining of units took place at Barnham. The 4 BUF and second batch of 4 COR units were equipped with these from new. These units could run in multiple with the 6 car units.

Routine maintenance was undertaken at both Fratton and Wimbledon Park depots, with some also being dealt with at Lovers Walk, Brighton and Streatham Hill. Body overhauls were undertaken at Lancing until this works closed in 1963 when Eastleigh took over. Programmed electrical overhauls and bogie exchanges were done at Peckham Rye and occasionally at Slades Green (Slade Green from 21st September 1953); Selhurst taking over when Peckham Rye closed in 1963.

Third Class became Second Class from June 1956 and the vehicles were all reclassified at this time, a Motor Brake Third (MBT) becoming a Motor Brake Second (MBS).

As built, all MBTs were fitted with a motor generator and emergency batteries. However, following experience with the Kent Coast 4 CEP /4 BEP units, the ‘Portsmouth’ stock was modified from 1960 and one MBS had the MG removed; the other the emergency batteries reducing their overall weight. As a result, when electrical codes were allocated to these vehicles (around 1963) the MBSs were subdivided as type A or type A‑1A, normally with even numbered vehicles becoming type A and odd numbers becoming type A‑1A, though due to earlier reforms this did not apply in every case.

The extension of electrification into Kent allowed the units to expand their range on special workings, the first being a football special to Margate worked by 8 COR on 31st October 1959, though regular workings in this area were not scheduled. However regular special trains had worked at weekends between Portsmouth and Gillingham for naval requirements since before the war and 4 COR stock was used on some of these alongside 2 HAL units.

From March 1962 units began to be fitted with roller blind headcodes replacing the former stencil arrangement, this followed one cab of unit 3108 being fitted with this equipment in 1958 as an experiment. They also received air horns, starting bells and loudaphone equipment at this time and the heating in the cabs and guard’s vans was uprated. The 4 COR and 4 RES units were done first, the 4 BUFs being completed about late 1964.

Motor bogies were of the equalising beam type, (trailer bogies were standard leaf sprung) and a number of the motor bogies began to be replaced with leaf sprung bogies recovered from withdrawn PUL and PAN motorcoaches from about 1965 though many units were withdrawn still in original condition.

In January 1964, a review of the Southern Region catering requirements led to the first large scale alteration of the units’ duties, with the displacement of the 4 BUF units off the Victoria ‑ Bognor route by 4 BEP units; the displaced 4 BUFs moving to the Waterloo ‑ Portsmouth route, though a number still remained on the Central section for business trains.

Displaced 4 RES units had their restaurant cars withdrawn (except three converted to Griddle cars) and were reformed with 6 PUL/PAN trailers to create 4 PUL and 4 COR (N) units for use on Central Division services, mostly Victoria ‑ Littlehampton during the transition from 6 PUL/PAN to new 4 CIG/BIG stock (units then being based at Lovers Walk depot).

Once all the 4 CIG/BIG fleet was delivered to the Central section, these 4 PUL and 4 COR (N) units were further reformed as standard 4 COR units.

A further batch of 4 CIG/BIG stock was ordered for the Waterloo ‑ Portsmouth route and began to be delivered in 1970, the first entering traffic in June 1970 with the bulk displacing 4 COR/BUF/GRI units from October 1970 (a few lasted a short while longer). These new units were intended to be in use in time for the new timetable from 4th May 1970 when a ½ hourly fast service was introduced, but late delivery meant the 4 COR/BUF units had to be used instead, this more intensive use taking its toll with an increase in units suffering from hot axle-boxes and some other problems. Once the new units were in service, most of the 4 BUF units were withdrawn and displaced 4 COR units relegated to slow trains on the Portsmouth line and used to replace further 2 BIL/HAL units on the Waterloo ‑ Reading and ‘Coastway’ services between Portsmouth and Ore.

 

Into Withdrawal

The first undamaged 4 COR units were withdrawn in September 1971 and main‑line duties on the Brighton line ceased in October 1971; the last with catering facilities having gone in May 1971.

Further deliveries of new 4 VEP and 4 CIG units displaced the units from the Reading line from 3rd January 1972.

Units last worked on the West Coastway in August 1972 (though odd later trips did occur) and the final normal working by a 4 COR was on 30th September 1972, with a farewell railtour running 9th December 1972 using units 3116 /3123 /3142 retained specially after the others were withdrawn.

Withdrawn units were stored around the system and all worked to Selhurst for electrical stripping prior to sale and disposal to scrap dealers. During 1972 the 4 COR units were allocated Class No. 404/2 under the BR TOPS system though no unit ever carried it. Class 404/1 was intended for 4 BUF/GRI units but all had been withdrawn by this stage.

A number of vehicles had their bodywork scrapped and the underframes used as the basis of long‑welded‑rail carrying bogie flat wagons. These vehicles had their bodies removed at Hoo Jct. and were fitted out for their new roles at Stewarts Lane.

Back to top

 

 

 

Units nos.3141 & 3142 at Lewes in 1972

© Glen Woods collection

 

Unit Liveries

Early units appeared in the current SR green with yellow and black lining. However, the yellow subsequently appeared to have been changed for orange possibly at the time units were still being constructed. With Richard Maunsell’s retirement his post was filled by Oliver Bulleid who introduced the buffet cars in the thirteen BUF units in a very different livery to the rest of the units; this being covered in the section on the 4 BUF units.

It is believed there was little or no difference between post-War Malachite and early BR Green-livery (the SR typeface being amended during varnishing). However, later BR Green-livery (1956-on) was much darker. The details for some units still need to be located.

In terms of yellow warning panels on Southern Region multiple unit stock, these commenced at Lancing on 9th October 1963 (2 BIL unit no.2128) thence at Eastleigh on 1st November 1963 (4 LAV unit no.2929). Full-yellow ends started appearing from Eastleigh during February 1967 although some units in for varnish or repair still only acquired yellow warning panels. Eastleigh started applying Blue-livery in July 1967 (4 CIG unit no.7035) with Selhurst following on 12th December 1968 (2 HAP unit no.6009).

 

 

 

 

Livery Table 1

Southern Railway to Southern Region

 

Unit

New

SR
Malachite

BR Green
(early)

BR Green
(darker)

 

4 RES

 

3054

27-Apr-37

-

24-Apr-50

12-May-60

 

3055

Apr-37

?

?

4 PUL

 

3056

17-Apr-37

2-Jun-47

No

13-Apr-59

 

3057

27-Apr-37

?

?

4 PUL

 

3058

By May-37

EA

 

 

 

3059

5-May-37

-

1-Mar-55

4 PUL

 

3060

May-37

EA

 

 

 

3061

25-May-37

13-Nov-46

30-Jan-56

4 PUL

 

3062

Nay-37

EA

 

 

 

3063

4-Jun-37

EA

 

 

 

3064

8-Jun-37

9-Oct-46

24-Apr-56

4 COR(N)

 

3065

9-Jun-37

-

21-Dec-54

12-Apr-62

 

3066

Jun-37

?

?

4 COR(N)

 

3067

Jun-37

?

?

4 COR(N)

 

3068

15-Jun-37

31-May-46

-

10-Jul-61

 

3069

18-Jun-37

12-Apr-46

-

27-Nov-57

 

3070

22-Jun-37

-

11-Mar-49

20-Mar-58

 

3071

22-Jun-37

4-Feb-47

-

8-Oct-57

 

3072

Jun-37

-

26-Oct-50

16-Feb-60

 

4 BUF

 

3073

25-Jun-38

-

25-Oct-54

4-Oct-63

 

3074

25-Jun-38

-

1-Jun-49

1-Dec-59

 

3075

27-Jun-38

-

1-Jan-49

7-May-57

 

3076

27-Jun-38

22-Dec-47

19-Jun-56

30-Apr-65

 

3077

28-Jun-38

-

1-Feb-49

22-Dec-58

 

3078

28-Jun-38

-

8-Apr-49

16-Jun-59

 

3079

28-Jun-38

-

21-Mar-50

18-Mar-60

 

3080

1-Jul-38

-

13-Aprl-49

26-Jun-59

 

3081

1-Jul-38

-

18-Dec-48

14-Nov-57

 

3082

1-Jul-38

-

31-Jan-55

8-May-64

 

3083

8-Jul-38

-

22-Aug-49

28-Jan-60

 

3084

3-Jul-38

-

21-Dec-51

30-Nov-62

 

3085

7-Jul-38

-

10-Feb-60

13-Jun-60

 

4 GRI

 

3086

12-Jun-61

N/A

(see 3056)

 

 

3087

22-Mar-62

N/A

(see 3065)

12-Apr-62

 

3088

7-Dec-62

N/A

(see 3066)

 

 

4 COR

 

3101

21-Jan-37

18-Jun-47

7-Jun-56

-

 

3102

29-Jan-37

-

4-Sep-49

31-Dec-59

 

3103

29-Jan-37

-

28-Oct-48

6-Dec-57

 

3104

2-Feb-37

2-Dec-47

-

12-Feb-57

 

3105

4-Feb-37

-

2-Dec-49

2-Nov-57

 

3106

9-Feb-37

-

22-May-53

22-May-63

 

3107

11-Feb-37

12-Jun-46

31-Oct-55

1-May-64

 

3108

16-Feb-37

-

16-Feb-49

2-May-58

 

3109

19-Feb-37

-

23-Apr-54

7-May-62

 

3110

23-Feb-37

26-Jan-48

1-Nov-56

-

 

3111

26-Feb-37

8-Mar-46

-

19-Aug-64

 

3112

2-Mar-37

-

8-Jul-49

7-Nov-58

 

3113

4-Mar-37

-

26-May-49

12-Mar-59

 

3114

9-Mar-37

16-Dec-46

11-May-56

-

 

3115

11-Mar-37

14-Jun-46

16-Jan-56

28-Dec-64

 

3116

16-Mar-37

-

25-May-50

2-Apr-62

 

3117

1937

16-Nov-46

29-May-56

1-Oct-65

 

3118

23-Mar-37

-

24-Jun-54

5-Dec-63

 

3119

1937

2-Nov-46

-

28-Nov-56

 

3120

1-Apr-37

-

16-Nov-54

6-Jun-64

 

3121

6-Apr-37

-

18-Nov-49

29-Dec-58

 

3122

8-Apr-37

-

29-Dec-49

11-Dec-59

 

3123

13-Apr-37

-

23-Aug-51

7-Nov-62

 

3124

15-Apr-37

-

24-Mar-49

24-Mar-58

 

3125

27-Apr-37

4-Jun-47

-

18-Feb-58

 

3126

4-May-37

25-Jul-46

-

19-Feb-59

 

3127

7-May-37

-

14-Jan-49

6-May-59

 

3128

27-May-37

-

26-Feb-49

17-Jan-58

 

3129

8-Jun-37

19-Mar-47

-

11-Dec-56

 

3130

25-Jan-38

-

22-Jan-53

4-Jan-63

 

3131

25-Jan-38

-

9-May-50

24-Sep-62

 

3132

1-Feb-38

19-Oct-46

2-Feb-56

-

 

3133

1-Feb-38

-

23-Dec-48

6-Mar-58

 

3134

3-Feb-38

-

2-Jan-50

14-May-59

 

3135

8-Feb-38

-

7-Mar-50

5-Apr-60

 

3136

10-Feb-38

-

28-Jul-50

1-Jun-59

 

3137

29-Jul-46

(29-Jul-46)

7-Apr-54

17-Apr-64

 

3138

17-Feb-38

27-Feb-48

-

5-Mar-57

 

3139

17-Feb-38

-

11-Oct-50

29-Mar-60

 

3140

24-Feb-38

-

26-Sep-50

19-Oct-61

 

3141

24-Mar-38

-

20-Mar-53

25-Jan-62

 

3142

3-Mar-38

-

21-Feb-52

31-Aug-62

 

3143

3-Mar-38

-

12-Apr-50

28-Jun-60

 

3144

17-Sep-46

(17-Sep-46)

-

6-Feb-57

 

3145

15-Mar-38

-

20-Dec-50

27-Apr-60

 

3146

17-Mar-38

-

4-Apr-50

16-Jan-62

 

3147

22-Mar-38

-

13-Jul-50

6-Dec-61

 

3148

24-Mar-38

7-Apr-48

-

29-Oct-57

 

3149

29-Mar-38

-

11-Jan-52

3-Nov-61

 

3150

31-Mar-38

-

9-Apr-52

20-Feb-62

 

3151

12-May-38

-

22-Nov-50

19-Mar-59

 

3152

13-Apr-38

-

10-Sep-49

1-Aug-58

 

3153

14-Apr-38

-

20-Feb-50

5-Oct-59

 

3154

Apr-38

-

15-Oct-48

23-Jul-59

 

3155

28-Apr-38

-

8-Feb-52

11-Dec-62

 

3156

Jun-46
(see unit notes)

(Jun-46)

23-Feb-54

1-Nov-63

 

3157

Oct-46
(see unit notes)

(Oct-46)

-

21-Mar-57

 

3158

Jan-46
(see unit notes)

(ex.3063
28-Apr-45)

21-Jun-53

29-Jun-62

 

3159

Aug-65

-

-

(See notes)

 

3160

Jul-65

-

-

(See notes)

 

3161

31-May-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3162

Jun-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3163

Jun-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3164

May-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3165

Jun-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3166

May-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3167

8-Jul-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

3168

17-May-66

-

-

(See notes)

 

 

Notes

 

 

 

 

 

EA

Enemy Action (damaged & disbanded)

 

 

 

 

The 4 RES units nos.3054 to 3072, 4 PUL units nos.3054 to 3059 and 4 COR(N) units 3065 to 3071 never received blue livery (or green with full yellow ends) and are therefore not included in this table of liveries.

Some individual dates for the application of small yellow warning panels on 4 COR (etc.) units are currently unknown (most of the dates come from Eastleigh, Lancing and CM&EE Tooley Street records).

 

Livery Table 2

Yellow Warning Panels to Blue

 

Unit

BR(S) Green

BR corporate Blue-livery

 

 

Yellow warning panels

Full yellow
ends

Yellow warning panels

Full yellow
ends

 

4 BUF

 

3072

11-Aug-64

No

No

27-Mar-68

 

3073

22-Mar-66

No

No

2-May-69

 

3074

2-Jun-65?

No

No

8-Nov-67

 

3075

20-Dec-65

No

No

9-Aug-68

 

3076

26-Apr-65

No

No

12-Aug-69

 

3077

N/K

No

No

12-Nov-67

 

3078

21-Feb-64

No

9-Jun-66

28-May-69

 

3079

Withdrawn

 

 

 

 

3080

10-Jun- 66

No

No

24-Mar-69

 

3081

4-Nov-65

No

No

13-Nov-68

 

3082

11-Jun-64

No

No

24-Feb-69

 

3083

24-Apr-64

No

No

9-Feb-68

 

3084

21-Jun-65

No

No

22-Sep-68

 

3085

1-Mar-65

No

No

24-Jun-68

 

4 GRI

 

3086

23-Sep-66

No

No

26-Sep-69

 

3087

N/K

No

No

31-Mar-67

 

3088

17-Jan-67

No

No

30-Jan-69

 

4 COR

 

3101

4-Nov-65

No

No

15-May-68

 

3102

N/K

No

No

30-Nov-67

 

3103

4-Jun-64

No

4-Jan-67#1

9-Jun-70

 

3104

21-Apr-65

No

No

Jul-67

 

3105

30-Apr-66

No

No

9-Oct-67

 

3106

4-Jan-67

No

No

30-Jun-69

 

3107

Apr-64

No

No

By Oct-69

 

3108

28-Jul-64

No

27-Jan-67

24-Feb-69

 

3109

7-Aug-64

No

No

26-May-67

 

3110

25-May-64

No

27-Sep-66

17-Jun-69

 

3111

19-Aug-64

7-Jul-67

No

26-Aug-70

 

3112

20-Nov-63

No

No

24-Jun-69

 

3113

30-Oct-64

No

No

29-Aug-67

 

3114

20-Nov-63

No

21-Jan-67

11-Mar-70

 

3115

28-Feb-64

No

No

12-Sep-69

 

3116

14-Sep-64

12-Aug-67#2

No

27-Nov-70

 

3117

25-Sep-65

No

No

8-May-68

 

3118

11-Nov-66

No

No

25-Feb-70

 

3119

29-Mar-66

No

No

17-Sep-68

 

3120

6-Mar-64

No

No

27-Aug-68

 

3121

12-Nov-63

No

14.Sep-66

4-May-69

 

3122

3-Jan-64

No

No

5-Jun-67

 

3123

13-May-65

31-May-67

No

13-Oct-70

 

3124

3-Jan-64

No

12-Jun-66

25-Jul-68

 

3125

15-May-65

No

No

22-Feb-67

 

3126

9-May-66

No

No

27-Aug-68

 

3127

31-Aug-64

No

No

10-May-67

 

3128

6-Jun-66

No

No

c.Jan-69

 

3129

2-Aug-65

No

No

21-Nov-67

 

3130

28-Jan-66

No

No

8-Oct-68

 

3131

30-Apr-65

14-Apr-67

No

30-Oct-70

 

3132

15-Jan-64

No

20-Dec-66

29-Jan-69

 

3133

9-Oct-64

No

2-Nov-66

24-Apr-70

 

3134

4-May-66

No

c.Dec-66

4-Sep-68

 

3135

23-Sep-64

No

No

14-Jun-67

 

3136

18-Jun-64

No

No

28-Dec-67

 

3137

17-Apr-64

No

No

c.Jun-67

 

3138

24-Nov-65

No

No

3-Jul-68

 

3139

8-May-63

No

No

14-Jun-68

 

3140

13-May-64

No

No

10-Mar-67

 

3141

5-Dec-66

No

No

13-Jan-70

 

3142

1-Apr-65

18-May-67

No

13-Jul-70

 

3143

8-Apr-65

No

No

9-May-68

 

3144

17-Aug-65

No

No

29-Feb-68

 

3145

7-Jul-65

No

No

27-Feb-68

 

3146

18-Nov-66

No

No

14-Apr-69

 

3147

23-Apr-64

No

1-Nov-66

2-Feb-70

 

3148

7-Dec-65

No

No

3-Dec-68

 

3149

20-Oct-64

17-Mar-67

No

Nov-69

 

3150

26-Jan-67

No

No

Aug-69

 

3151

20-Mar-64

No

No

By Oct-69

 

3152

25-Oct-63

No

18-Aug-66

30-Sep-69

 

3153

N/K

No

No

16-Jun-67

 

3154

16-Jul-64

No

No

8-Nov-67

 

3155

23-Dec-66

No

No

4-Aug-69

 

3156

12-Aug-66

No

No

12-Mar-68

 

3157

4-Nov-65

No

No

1-Apr-68

 

3158

19-Dec-66

No

No

29-May-69

 

3159

15-Oct-65

No

No

28-Feb-69

 

3160

(16-Jul-64)

No

No

30-Apr-68

 

3161

31-May-66

No

No

30-Jul-69

 

3162

8-Jan-65?

No

No

9-Apr-69

 

3163

19-May-64

No

No

28-Mar-69

 

3164

20-May-64

No

No

10-Jan-69

 

3165

30-Jul-64

No

No

6-Nov-68

 

3166

18-Jun-64

No

No

6-Nov-68

 

3167

17-May-66

No

No

7-May-69

 

3168

18-May-66

No

No

12-May-69

 

 

Notes

 

 

 

 

 

#1

Last blue liveried unit with small yellow warning panel

 

 

#2

Last unit in green with full yellow ends.

 

 

 

Back to top

 

 

 

4 COR 3132 at Portsmouth Harbour copyright BloodandCustard.JPG

4 COR no. 3132 at Portsmouth Harbour (between 1969 and 1972)

© BloodandCustard

 

4 RES
(Units nos.3054 – 3072)

Numbered 3054 – 3072, the nineteen 4 RES units were delivered in 1937 between April and July when they were introduced into service.  These units comprised two Motor Brake Thirds, a Dining First and a Kitchen Third. All the third-class accommodation was subsequently reclassified as second. The motorcoaches were built at Eastleigh works on Lancing frames, the Dining Firsts were built by Metro-Cammell and the Kitchen Thirds by BRCW.

Overall length of the 4 RES units was 264' 6" and the weight was 161 tons 7cwt. They seated 30 first and 104 third, with a further 12 first and 36 third in the dining areas.

 

Motor Brake Third
(diag. no. 2114)

The Motor Brake Thirds weighed 46½ tons and were to diagram no. 2114. Originally designated as motor brake thirds these consisted of a motorman’s compartment accessed by inward opening doors on each side of the coach. Each unit had a corridor connection at the front to enable passengers from the adjacent unit access to the restaurant car. As a consequence, the motorman’s driving position could be internally closed off from the passenger gangway by a swing door.

The headcode frame was located on the offside of the corridor connection giving the units a rather one-eyed appearance, which in view of their association with routes to Portsmouth led to the nickname of ‘Nelsons’ for all the 4 COR, 4 BUF and 4 RES stock.

Behind the driving cab was the guard's brake. This was 10' 7" long and had a pair of outward opening doors to each side of the coach; these doors being located at the cab end of the van. From the guard’s brake there was a door opening forwards into the driving cab and another into the passenger vestibule to enable through passenger access between coupled units; both these doors being on the offside of the van when the driving cab was leading.

Then came an entrance vestibule with outward opening doors each side of the car and a central internal sliding door leading into a six-and-a-half bay saloon with seating for 52, seating being two aside each side of the central gangway. There was a partition at the centre of the saloon with sliding door dividing it into 3 and 3½ bays and finally another entrance vestibule and with central sliding door access. The odd half-bay in the saloon was adjacent to the vestibule at the guard’s end of the coach. Smoking was permitted in this larger saloon.

Large sidelight windows topped by a two-piece sliding ventilator were provided in the passenger saloon; that at the coupe end being smaller than the remainder.

Two 250hp English Electric 163 motors were fitted to the motor bogie which was located beneath the guard’s brake. The unit’s electrical equipment was also by English Electric. These units were able to be coupled to the earlier 6 PUL, 6 PAN, 6 CITY and 5 BEL units but were not compatible with the 2 BIL, 2 HAL, 2 NOL, 4 LAV and suburban units.

 

Dining First

The dining firsts consisted of a lavatory, five first-class compartments (each seating six joined by a side corridor), another lavatory and a dining saloon with twelve first-class seats and an entrance vestibule. Each compartment had an access door whilst there were three doors located on the corridor side opposite the partition of the first /second, the sliding door of the third and the partition of the fourth/fifth compartments. Beyond the intermediate lavatory a full-width partition (with sliding door) gave access to the two-bay dining saloon. This saloon had tables with loose chairs arranged with two aside seats on the compartment side and a single seat on the corridor side. As a consequence, the central gangway was off-centre (towards the same side as the corridor). A further sliding door gave access to the entrance vestibule at the end of the coach, which had access doors on each side.

The dining saloon area had large sidelight windows with sliding ventilators above, these contrasting with ¼ light /droplight arrangement of the compartment section on the non-corridor side of the coach. Smoking was permitted in all the compartments except that adjacent to the centre lavatory.

The dining first cars weighed 33 tons and were marshalled with the compartment end against the motor coach. They were built to diagram No. 2505 by Metro‑Cammell at Washwood Heath.

 

Kitchen Third

The kitchen third had a pantry, kitchen and servery as well as a five-bay dining saloon with 36 seats, a lavatory and an entrance vestibule. The dining saloon featured tables with loose chairs, the central gangway allowing two aside seating each side so there were four chairs at each table. The bay at the vestibule end had the lavatory compartment to one side with a single table for four opposite. Large sidelight windows were again fitted.

The kitchen equipment was all-electric with boilers and ovens using line voltage whilst grills, hotplates and refrigerators operated at 220 volts supplied by a dynamotor mounted below the underframe. This car weighed 35 tons 7cwt and was to diagram No. 2571 being constructed by BRCW at Saltley. It was marshalled with the kitchen end at the centre of the unit.

 

4 RES in service

The units were put to work as intended on the Waterloo ‑ Portsmouth via Guildford route from 1937, a few 4 RES MBTs being run-in coupled to 4 COR trailers prior to the commencement of the full electric service. Three units were withdrawn during the war after enemy action damage and another was converted to 4 BUF in 1956. The remaining fifteen units continued in service until January 1964, although three units had their restaurant cars converted to griddle cars in 1962. From about 1963, electrical codes were allocated to each vehicle, these are shown below.

From 4th January 1964, a stock reshuffle brought nine 4 BUF units to the Waterloo ‑ Portsmouth route to replace the surviving 4 RES units, although the three griddle car units, now reclassified 4 GRI, remained on this route. The twelve remaining 4 RES units were sent for short‑term storage (three at Ford, three at Peckham Rye and six at Haywards Heath) before working to Lovers Walk where their kitchen cars were removed and withdrawn; being replaced by a former 6 PUL Pullman car (5 units) or a former 6 PAN trailer second (7 units). These units were then reclassified as 4 PUL or 4 COR(N) and were used on Victoria ‑ Littlehampton services. They only had short lives in this form and from 1965 they were further reformed to standard 4 COR formations using further ex. 6 PUL and 6 PAN vehicles, and were reclassified as 4 COR and renumbered as units 3159 ‑ 3168. The withdrawn kitchen cars were worked to Strawberry Hill where their motor generator sets were recovered for subsequent use in new 4 BIG buffet cars, prior to disposal.

 

4 RES Demise and Withdrawal

Following withdrawal from 25th January 1964 at Lovers Walk, all the kitchen cars were worked to Strawberry Hill for stripping and the motor generator sets were required for the new buffet cars being built for 4 BIG units. They were then stored; some at Micheldever (12603/07/11/12/14/18), the others remaining at Strawberry Hill (12601/04/08/10/16/19). They were held for a while as consideration was made of possible conversion to open saloon seating vehicles for the Oxted line ‘Push-Pull’ project but this was not proceeded with due to the expense. Further stripping of these cars was carried out at Durnsford Road prior to disposal. The train from Micheldever was partly stripped at Strawberry Hill in September 1964 then hauled to Durnsford Road 28-Sep-64 for further stripping.

All were subsequently moved to Newhaven during August and October 1964 for scrapping, but as breaking was about to cease there the Micheldever train was later moved to Hassocks during November 1964. Final disposal to South Wales scrap dealers was from Micheldever. The body of 12607 was broken-up at Newhaven although the underframe returned to Micheldever. The bogies of those scrapped at Newhaven were retained as spares.

Back to top

 


Formation of 4 RES Units
(nos.3054 to 3072)

 

Unit no.

Diag. no.

MBT

2114

TRT

2571

TFK

2505

MBT

2114

Reclassified as

See unit

Notes

Code

A-1A

BC

BD

A

 

 

 

3054

11139

11177

12619

Clara

12248

11140

4 PUL

3054

 

3055

11142

12610

Gwladys

12246

11141

4 PUL

3055

 

3056

11143

12609

12605

12245

11828 1

11245

11144

4 GRI

3086

1 Diagram 2309, Code BA (4 COR TCK).

3057

11145

12611

Elinor

12247

11146

4 PUL

3057

 

3058

11147

12606

12234

11148

Withdrawn

 

War damage

3059

11149

12612

Enid

12250

12242

11172

4 PUL

3059

 

3060

11151

12615

12249

11152

Withdrawn

 

War damage

3061

11153

12607

Ethel

12233

11154

4 PUL

3056

 

3062

11155

12616

10034

12235

11156

4 COR(N)

3065

 

3063

11157

12617

12232

11158

Withdrawn

 

War damage

3064

11159

12601

10045

12236

11160

4 COR(N)

3066

 

3065

11161

11202

12605

12602

12237

11163

 

4 GRI

3087

 

3066

11163

12604

10033

12238

11164

4 COR(N)

3066

 

3067

11165

12608

10046

12239

11166

4 COR(N)

3067

 

3068

11167

12602

12609

12240

11168

4 GRI

3088

 

3069

11169

12603

12602

12603

10042

12241

11170

4 COR(N)

3069

 

3070

11171

12614

10041

12242

12250

11172

11229

4 COR(N)

3070

 

3071

11173

12618

10044

12243

11174

11175

11174

4 COR(N)

3071

 

3072

11175

12613

12244

11176

4 BUF

 

See 4 BUF notes

 

Back to top

 

 

Individual Unit Notes
(units nos.3054 – 3072)

3054

MBTs new from Eastleigh 20-Apr-37, trailers ready 27-Apr-37. Unit commenced service 1-May-37.

Unit believed damaged about Dec-45 and MBT 11139 exchanged with damaged and unit repaired at Eastleigh between 4-Feb-46 and 18-Mar-46.

Unit damaged about January 1957 (details unknown) and to Lancing for repairs between 14-Jan-57 and 12-Feb-57.

TRS 12619 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and formed into 6 PAN 3027 for movement to Micheldever 12-Jan-64, then to Strawberry Hill for stripping, to Newhaven 8-Aug‑64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65.

12619 replaced by Pullman car Clara (ex. 3020) and unit reclassified as 4 PUL at Lovers Walk 17-Jan-64.

3055

MBTs new from Eastleigh 20-Apr-37 and unit ready that month. Unit commenced service 27-Apr-37.

TRS 12610 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and to Strawberry Hill for stripping, moved to Newhaven Aug‑64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65.

12610 replaced by Pullman car Gwladys (ex. 3017) and unit reclassified as 4 PUL from 27-Jan-64.

3056

Unit new from Eastleigh 27-Apr-37. Unit commenced service 1-May-37.

Unit stored at Ford as 3-car by 25-Jan-61 with TRS 12609 removed (possible at Lancing for assessment) TRS 12609 to Eastleigh 22-Feb-61 and extensively modified as a prototype Griddle Car and to 3068 when released 11-Dec-61. Remainder of unit stored out of use then overhauled at Lancing between 2-Mar-61 and 8-May-61 then as three-car at Gatwick from 11-May-61, although used in traffic as a six-car train with similarly reduced 3068 from Oct‑61.

Unit in converging collision with unit no.3138 at Wimbledon Park 29-Nov-61 and MBS 11143 damaged and TFK 12245 slightly damaged. Unit then made up to 4-car with damaged TCK 11828 (ex. 3138) and to Micheldever for store pending repairs to three cars at Eastleigh from 14-Dec-61. It was released as 3-car again with MBS 11143 fitted with air horns 4-Jun-62. Griddle 12605 (ex. 3065) completed 7-Dec‑62 and TCK 11828 repaired and returned to 3138 and unit restored to 4 RES formation. Unit reclassified as 4 GRI from 4‑Jan‑64 and renumbered 3086.

3057

MBTs new from Eastleigh 27-Apr-37 and unit ready soon after. Unit commenced service 4-May-37.

TRS 12611 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and after stripping at Strawberry Hill moved to Newhaven Jul-64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65. 12611 replaced by Pullman car Elinor (ex. 3004) and unit reclassified as 4 PUL 4-Feb-64.

3058

Unit commenced service 25-May-37.

Unit damaged by fire due to enemy action at Hampton Court 8‑Dec‑40 and withdrawn 25‑Dec‑40 and TFK 12234 and TRT 12606 both withdrawn and bodies scrapped. Both MBTs damaged but repaired, 11147 to 3116 released 5-May-41, 11148 to 3073 released 8-Aug-41 and unit deleted.

Underframe of TRT 12606 used as basis of Viaduct Inspection vehicle DS3188 from 4-Nov‑50, work authorised under HO 3688 dated 1-Aug-50. Underframe of TFK 12234 used as basis of ship's gangway carrying vehicle 080335 at Southampton Docks from May‑54.

3059

Unit commenced service 5-May-37.

Unit damaged by fire due to enemy action at Hampton Court 8‑Dec‑40 and to Eastleigh for repair from 11-Dec-40. MBT 11150 to 3116 from 5-May‑41. TFK 12250 to 3070 from 18-Feb-41. Replaced by 11172 and 12242 (both ex. 3070) from 29-Jan-41.

Minor damage when leading bogie of MBS 11149 derailed outside Waterloo 22-Mar-61.

TRS 12612 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and after stripping at Strawberry Hill moved to Newhaven Jul-64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65. 12612 replaced by Pullman car Enid (ex. 3014) and unit reclassified as 4 PUL from 4-Feb-64.

3060

Unit commenced service 28-May-37.

Unit destroyed by enemy incendiaries at Portsmouth Harbour 10‑Jan‑41 and all cars withdrawn 26‑Mar‑41 when remains scrapped.

The underframes of 11152 and 12249 were salvaged and taken to Lancing but later cut-up there, that of 12249 7-May-41, that of 11152 surviving until w/e 8-Nov-47. Some parts of the underframe of 12249 were salvaged for future re-use. Both MBTs replaced by new construction Oct‑46, 11151 and 11152 both to ‘new’ unit 3157.

3061

Unit commenced service 28-May-37.

Unit at Eastleigh for unspecified repair between 22-Mar-41 and 12-Oct-41 (possible enemy action damage?)

Unit at Lancing for damage repair from 16-Feb-62 until 9-Mar-62 (details unknown).

TRS 12607 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and after stripping at Strawberry Hill moved to Newhaven where bodywork broken-up w/e 19-Dec-64. Underframe stored for possible departmental use at Micheldever though not so used, sold for disposal to Birds Ltd, Risca 12-Jul-68. Replaced by Pullman car Ethel (ex. 3018) and unit reclassified as 4 PUL and renumbered 3056 from 28-Jan-64.

3062

MBTs new from Eastleigh 28-May-37, trailers ready 4-Jun-37. Unit commenced service 8-Jun-37.

Unit damaged late in 1955 (details unknown, possibly at Woking 23-Dec-55) and at Lancing for repairs from 5-Jan-56 until 9-May-56.

TRS 12616 formed into 6 PAN 3027 for movement to Micheldever 12-Jan-64 and withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and. stripped at Strawberry Hill, moved to Newhaven Aug-64 and broken-up there w/e 28-Nov-64. 12616 replaced by 6 PAN TSK 10034 (ex. 3027) and unit reclassified as 4 COR(N) and renumbered 3065 at Lovers Walk 17-Jan-64.

3063

Unit commenced service 8-Jun-37.

Unit badly damaged by V1 blast at Wimbledon Park 29‑June‑44 and deleted 5‑Aug‑44. MBT 11157 and body of TRT 12617 scrapped, MBT 11158 repaired also TFK 12232 rebuilt as composite and renumbered 11861 and these two released 28-Apr-45, both these vehicles to ‘new’ unit 3158 from Jan-46. MBT 11157 replaced by new construction Sep‑46 and to unit 3144. Underframe of TRT 12617 used as basis of Viaduct Inspection vehicle DS3187 from 4-Nov‑50, work authorised under HO 3688 dated 1-Aug-50.

3064

Unit commenced service 11-Jun-37.

Unit damaged about July 1959 (details unknown) and to Lancing for repair and overhaul between 22-Jul-59 and released 31-Aug-59. TRS 12601 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and stripped at Strawberry Hill, moved to Newhaven Aug‑64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65. Replaced by 6 PAN TSK 10045 (ex. 3033) from 27‑Jan‑64 and unit reclassified as 4 COR(N) and renumbered 3068.

3065

Unit commenced service 11‑Jun‑37.

Unit damaged in collision with 3142 at Durnsford Road Jan‑44 and MBT 11161 to 3142 and unit for repairs at Eastleigh between 22-Jan-44, not released until 14-Jun-45 now with MBT 11202 (ex. 3142).

TRS 12605 to Eastleigh 22-Mar-62 and extensively modified as Griddle Car and to 3056 when released 7-Dec‑62. Remaining cars of 3065 overhauled at Lancing between 6-Mar-62 and 12-Apr-62 then stored at Gatwick. TRS 12605 then replaced by similarly modified 12602 (ex. 3068 via 3069) from 26-Apr‑62.

Unit reclassified as 4 GRI from 4‑Jan‑64 and renumbered 3087.

3066

Three cars completed at Eastleigh 11-Jun-37 and unit commenced service 15-Jun-37.

TRS 12604 formed into 6 PAN 3027 for movement to Micheldever 12-Jan-64 and withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and stripped at Strawberry Hill, moved to Newhaven Aug‑64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65. Replaced by 6 PAN TSK 10033 (ex. 3027) and unit reclassified as 4 COR(N) Jan-64.

3067

Three cars completed at Eastleigh 11-Jun-37 and unit commenced service 18-Jun-37.

MBS 11165 derailed passing Witley 23-Dec-62 due to locked motor wheel, minor damage to cab end of body during re-railing operations.

TRS 12608 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and stripped at Strawberry Hill, moved to Newhaven Aug‑64 and broken-up there w/e 2-Jan-65. Replaced by 6 PAN TSK 10046 (ex. 3033) and unit reclassified as 4 COR(N) 27-Jan-64.

3068

Unit commenced service 18-Jun-37.

Unit to Lancing for overhaul 26-Apr‑61 and TRS 12602 removed and to Eastleigh 12-Jun-61 and extensively modified as Griddle Car and to 3069 briefly when released 6-Mar‑62 though then to intended unit 3065 Apr‑62. Remaining three cars of 3068 released from overhaul 10-Jul-61 then stored at Gatwick from 23‑Jul‑61, though used briefly in traffic with similarly reduced 3056 in Oct‑61. TRS 12602 replaced by similarly modified 12609 (ex. 3056) from 23-Jan‑62.

Unit reclassified as 4 GRI from 4‑Jan‑64 and renumbered 3088.

3069

Unit commenced service 22-Jun-37.

TRS 12603 temporarily replaced by newly converted Griddle car 12602 (ex. 3068) from 6-Mar‑62 until 26-Apr‑62 when 12602 to intended unit 3065 and 12603 back to formation.

TRS 12603 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and after stripping at Strawberry Hill, stored at Micheldever before moving to Newhaven Aug‑64 and taken to Hassocks by Nov‑64. Car then moved to Andover but spent a period back at Micheldever c.Aug‑65 before returning to Andover by Jul‑66. Moved to Salisbury 21‑Jul‑66 and taken for scrapping to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) from there 28‑Jul‑66. TRS 12603 replaced by 6 PAN TSK 10042 (ex. 3031) and unit reclassified as 4 COR(N) from 28-Jan-64.

3070

Unit commenced service 25-Jun-37.

MBT 11171 and TRT 12614 both damaged in buffer stop collision at Waterloo 26‑Aug‑39.

Unit under repair at Brighton between 9-Feb-40 and 3-May-40 (possible enemy action damage?).

Unit damaged by fire due to enemy action at Hampton Court 8‑Dec‑40 and to Eastleigh for repairs from 11-Dec-40. MBT 11172 and TFK 12242 both to 3059 from 29-Jan-41 after repairs. Replaced from 18-Feb-41 by MBT 11229 (ex. 3073) and TFK 12250 (ex. 3059).

TRS 12614 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and after stripping at Strawberry Hill moved to Newhaven Jul-64 and broken-up there w/e 6-Feb-65. TRS 12614 replaced by 6 PAN TSK 10041 (ex. 3031) and unit reclassified as 4 COR(N) from 28-Jan-64.

3071

Unit commenced service 25-Jun-37.

MBT 11174 damaged (where?) Jul‑55 and temporarily replaced by 11175 (ex. 3072) until Oct‑55 whilst 11174 repaired at Lancing between 20-Jul-55 and 31-Aug-55.

TRS 12618 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑64 and after stripping at Strawberry Hill, stored at Hassocks and Micheldever thence Internal User as an office at Hither Green MPD May‑65, eventually condemned 14-May-66 and sold for scrapping 24-Sep-66 to G. Cohen Ltd. (Morriston). TRS 12618 replaced by 6 PUL TSK 10044 (ex. 3014). This was an original 6 PAN vehicle ex. 3032. Unit reclassified as 4 COR(N).

3072

Unit commenced service 1-Jul-37.

TRT 12613 badly damaged by fire at Fratton early Feb‑54 and unit to Eastleigh 16-Feb-54 where reduced to a three car until 12613 repaired and replaced in unit from 14‑Jan‑56, these repairs being authorised under HO 4194 dated 29-Apr-55 and completed 5-Nov-55. Remaining 3 cars of unit moved to Lancing for repair 19-Mar-54 and released 17-May-54.

Unit out of use Jul‑54 to Aug‑54 and TFK 12244 used in 6 PUL 3007 at this time whilst MBT 11176 was released 27-Apr-54 and temporarily used in 4 BUF 3076 until early June 1954. Unit again out of use from Jul‑55 to Oct‑55 when MBT 11175 used in unit 3071. The three-car unit was varnished at Selhurst between 14-Sep-55 and 22-Sep-55.

When restored to unit, TRT 12613 now converted to a 36-seat cafeteria car with the former kitchen end unchanged and the dining saloon altered to a 5½ bay area with loose chairs at tables arranged two-aside each side of the central gangway with the odd ½ bay at the inner end of the coach, and unit reclassified as 4 BUF from Mar‑56 although it was non-standard in layout and seating capacity. The diagram No. of 12613 was amended to 2602 following rebuilding.

[See also 4 BUF section].

 

Back to top

 

 

 

4 BUF Units nos.3072 ‑ 3085

Numbered 3073 ‑ 3085, the thirteen 4 BUF units were delivered in 1938 between May and July when they were introduced into service.  These units comprised two motor brake thirds (identical to those in the 4 RES and 4 COR units) a buffet car (seating unclassified) and a trailer composite.

Each 4 BUF unit was 264' 6" long and weighed 162¾ tons and had a total seating capacity of 30 first and 128 third plus 26 unclassified seats in the buffet car. The units were constructed at Eastleigh works and released to traffic from May 1938, units 3073 ‑ 3079 dated May 1938 and 3080 ‑ 3085 dated June 1938.

 

Buffet Cars

The buffet car consisted of a vestibule with outward opening doors each side, kitchen area, bar area with ten column mounted stools arranged along a counter, a dining saloon with sixteen chairs (arranged as four chairs around four specially shaped tables) a partition with double swing doors leading to a further vestibule again with entrance doors each side and two lavatories (one either side of a central corridor). The car had no windows in the bar area, only a small sliding ventilator behind the counter area, and weighed 37 tons 2cwt. It was to diagram No. 2601.

The buffet car was marshalled with the kitchen end against the motorcoachand the corridor past the kitchen was to the nearside when that motorcoachwas leading in direction of travel. A swing door was located in the corridor past the kitchen area. Ten stools along the bar were located against an arc in the bar counter so each customer had their own arc. The tables were similarly shaped with four arcs in each with the chairs suitably located, each table being located against a large sidelight window and provided with a table lamp.

There were four large sidelight windows along the corridor side of the coach, unevenly spaced with two along the corridor past the kitchen, the other two by the tables in the dining saloon. Only one of these originally had a two piece sliding vent above, this being the one nearest the kitchen area. Later the two at the saloon end were modified with BR style sliding ventilators. Partitions and decorative wall mouldings in the car replicated the ‘arc’ theme of the tables and bar counter. Power for the kitchen equipment was provided by a motor generator set mounted below the underframe.

The buffet cars were staffed by crews from the Pullman Car Company Limited with stores loaded at Bognor and Victoria. Due to wartime restrictions, the buffet cars were removed from all units for the period from 22nd May 1942 until 7th January 1946 when all refreshment facilities were suspended, and the units operated as three-car sets. The buffet cars were stored on the Crystal Palace (High Level) branch for some time, all being taken to Selhurst about April 1943 for a repaint (in all-over grey including windows?) then back to store, prior to moving to Lancing in mid-1945 pending overhaul and restoration to traffic towards the end of the year.

 

Trailer Composite

The trailer composite was to the same internal layout as those in the 6 PUL units with a side corridor joining five 7' 1¾" wide first and three 6' 3" wide third class compartments with a lavatory at each end; seating 30 first and 24 third class passengers. It weighed 32½ tons and was to diagram No. 2309.

Each compartment had its own access door on the non-corridor side, whilst there were five doors along the corridor side. These were located unevenly along the coach; one opposite the partition of the first and second first-class compartments, one opposite the doorway of the centremost compartment and one opposite the partition of the fourth /fifth first-class compartments (three in total) as well as two more doors opposite each of the partitions of the third-class compartments. A swing door in the corridor separated the first and third-class sections of the coach. Smoking in first-class was allowed in the first compartment at the end of the car and the two at the other end of the group of five compartments, whilst only the centremost of the three third-class compartments was non-smoking.

 

4 BUF Unit no.3072

After conversion from a 4 RES unit in 1956, unit 3072 now reclassified as a 4 BUF remained non‑standard with the other units as the cafeteria car seated 36 in unclassified seats and the former dining first now seated 42 first-class as the original dining area was now regarded as ordinary first-class seating. The unit therefore seated 42 first, 104 second and 36 buffet. The buffet car weighed 35 tons so 3072 weighed 160¾ tons overall. It remained working on the Waterloo ‑ Portsmouth route.

 

4 BUF Liveries

When delivered the buffet cars were painted in the lighter ‘Malachite’ green livery, the remaining three cars being the normal darker olive green colour and a large ‘Southern’ legend at sliding vent height, with ‘Buffet Car’ below at waist height were painted on the windowless area of the coach. However, the buffet cars were later painted olive green to match the remainder of the unit. Dates for these repaints are sought!

Units were painted green when new, repaints from January 1964 having a small yellow warning panel added on the corridor end, but from January 1967 were repainted into all-over blue with full yellow ends, unit 3078 receiving the intermediate livery of blue ends with small yellow panel, though it was painted blue again and became standard in May 1969. Unit 3076 was the last in green livery, being painted blue in August 1969.

 

4 BUF Demise and Withdrawal

The units remained in service on the Mid-Sussex line route to Portsmouth and saw lesser use on the main Brighton line, units receiving their routine maintenance at Streatham Hill, but from 4th January 1964 nine units (3073‑78/80‑82) were displaced by 4 BEP units and transferred to the Waterloo ‑ Portsmouth route displacing the twelve surviving 4 RES units, though working alongside the three 4 GRI units and non‑standard cafeteria car unit 3072. They remained in service on this line until withdrawal and replacement by new 4 BIG units in 1970‑1, now being based at Fratton depot for maintenance although some work was also undertaken at Wimbledon Park.

However, three units (3083‑85) remained on the Central Division for use in business trains. Eight units were withdrawn in November 1970 upon introduction of new 4 BIG units though 3082/3 were out of use by 10th October 1970, and 3072 and the three 4 GRI units then moved to the Central division. The four surviving Central units (3075/7/80/5) moved to the South Western where they remained in traffic as non-buffet units on the Reading line until the end of January 1971 when all were stored at Wimbledon Park until withdrawal in March 1971. The last catering services using ‘Portsmouth’ stock ceased on 30th April 1971 and 3072 was then stored at Gatwick along with 4 GRI units 3086‑8. These four were withdrawn officially from 20th November 1971. Withdrawn units were stripped of equipment at Selhurst Repair Shop prior to disposal.

Back to top

 

Formation of 4 BUF Units nos.3054 to 3072

 

Unit no.

MBT

TRB

TCK

MBT

Withdrawn

Notes

Diag no.

2114

2602

2505

2114

 

 

Code

A

BC-1A

BD

A-1A

 

Codes allocated from c.1963

3072

11175

12613

12244 *

11176

20-Nov-71

Ex 4 RES in 1956

* TFK

Code

A-1A

BE

BA

A

 

Codes allocated from c.1963

3073

11120

11121

12518

12519

11846

11229

11148

11122

21-Nov-70

 

Code

A

BE

BA

A-1A

 

Codes allocated from c.1963

3074

11232

11213

11172

12519

100712

12518

11847

11231

21-Nov-70

2 Diagram 2009, Code BB (4 COR TSK).

3075

11234

12520

11848

11233

13-Mar-71

 

3076

11236

12521

11849

11235

21-Nov-70

 

3077

11238

12522

11850

11237

13-Mar-71

 

3078

11240

12523

11851

11856

11239

11249

11145

21-Nov-70

 

3079

11242

12524

11852

11241

30-Nov-63

 

3080

11244

11250

12525

11853

11243

13-Mar-71

 

3081

11246

11177

12526

11854

11245

21-Nov-70

 

3082

11248

12527

11855

11247

11206

21-Nov-70

 

3083

11250

11112

11205

12528

11856

11851

11249

11191

21-Nov-70

 

3084

11252

12529

11857

11251

21-Nov-70

 

3085

11254

12530