BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard

© BloodandCustard

Southern Railway
6 PAN

(Nos. 3021-3037)

 

6 PAN unit no.3025 accompanied by 6 PUL unit no.3012 approach Hassocks form the 5.0pm London Bridge to Brighton evening peak hour service on Wednesday, 8th July 1964. Note the SR concrete ballast box in the foreground and ‘north end’ crossover & siding.

From the formation it is believed car 11067 is the leading motorcoach.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

Extension to Brighton Line Electrification

Following the successful introduction of electric trains on the main line to Brighton & West Worthing in January 1933, the Southern Railway pressed on with further expansion of the system, with a further extension of the suburban network from Bickley via Swanley to Sevenoaks and from Orpington to Sevenoaks, this scheme being completed in January 1935. Rolling stock authorised for this scheme was in the form of further three-coach motor and two-coach trailer units of the usual suburban type, once again with reconditioned steam stock bodies mounted onto standard underframes and converted to electric traction.

The momentum of main line electrification was also maintained, the next lines for conversion being those from Keymer Jct (near Haywards Heath) to Lewes, Eastbourne and Hastings, the branch lines from Lewes to Seaford, Haywards Heath to Horsted Keynes and the line from Brighton to Lewes. At Hastings, electrification was carried through to Ore (the first station on the Ashford line) where space existed for the erection of a four-road carriage shed; each road being capable of holding a twelve-coach train under cover.

 

Infrastructure Improvements

This scheme covered 133½ track miles at an estimated cost of £1,750,000 and involved track layout changes at Eastbourne where platforms were lengthened to 820', layout simplification at Polegate and easing of the sharp curve on the London platforms at Lewes to remove tight clearances whilst enabling platform extension works. Various other stations had platform extensions and were equipped with electric lighting, whilst some additional sidings were electrified in the London area at both Victoria and New Cross Gate to provide berthing space for further electric trains.

The power supply arrangements had worked well on the Brighton & Worthing scheme and this style of unattended substations overseen from a control room had been followed for the first time in the suburban area with the Sevenoaks scheme (and its control room at Swanley) was used again for this scheme. The control room at Three Bridges was expanded to control a further eleven substations covering the lines to Seaford & Eastbourne, whilst a new control room was opened at Ore and controlled five substations between there and Eastbourne. This Ore control room, located at one end of the electrified network was ideally placed for further expansion of the system when the lines to Ashford & Tonbridge (via Battle) were to be completed. However, due to the intervention of the war these schemes did not take place during the lifetime of the Southern Railway.

 

New Rolling Stock

Three different types of rolling stock were ordered for these lines in March 1934, H.O.805 for seventeen 6-car corridor units (6 PAN) numbered 2021 ‑ 2037 for the express trains, H.O.806 for ten 2-car corridor units (2 BIL) numbered 1891 ‑ 1900 for semi-fast trains and H.O.807 for thirty-two 2-car non‑gangwayed units (2 NOL) numbered 1824 ‑ 1855 for the stopping services.

The 2 BIL units were of a new design with two cars both with full-length side corridors giving lavatory access, whilst the 2 NOL units were identical to those provided for the Brighton to Worthing local trains in the 1933 scheme.

The 6 PAN express units (nos.2021-2037, later renumbered to 3021-3037) were similar in concept to the 6-car units provided for the Brighton /Worthing scheme but no Pullman car was provided, though a small pantry area in one of the trailers allowed provision of a limited refreshment service. From the outset of this scheme, the 6 PAN units were diagrammed to be mixed with the earlier 6 PUL units, working also to Brighton and Worthing (later Littlehampton) whilst Pullman car trains worked through to Eastbourne and Ore.

 

6 PAN motorcoach 11067 for unit no.3025 at the Metropolitan Cammell Carriage, Wagon & Finance Company Ltd (trading as Metro-Cammell) Washwood Heath works in February /March 1935. Note the lined-livery side-buffers, drawhook & coupling, although the standard-type gangway has yet to be fitted.

© Metro-Cammell

 

Unit Formation

The motorcoaches for the new units were built equally by BRCW (nos.11047 - 11063) and Metro-Cammell (nos.11064 - 11080), whilst the trailers were constructed at Eastleigh on underframes from Lancing. As in the 6 PUL units, the motorcoaches were again of all-steel construction and the trailers were steel panelled on a hardwood frame with timber and canvas roofs. The formation of the 6 PAN units differed from that of the 6 PUL units and comprised a motorcoach at each end of the unit flanking a trailer third, thence a Trailer First with a pantry section for the service of light refreshments (which replaced the Pullman car facilities of the earlier units adjacent to an ordinary trailer first).

Overall unit length was 392' 2" and weight was 243¼ tons (unit nos.2036 & 2037 weighed 246½ tons) and each seated seventy-two first-class and two hundred & forty third-class. The underframes for the trailers were to order No. HO 4441, the bodies being to order No.805. These units were fitted from new with conventional leaf sprung trailer bogies, not the equalising beam variety fitted to the 6 PUL and 5 BEL units, though pantry cars 12517 & 12518 had the equalising beam version until standardised in 1957. However, motorcoaches had identical equalising beam bogies to the older units, though some of these were rebuilt with leaf springs during the late 1950's.

Motor Coaches

The motorcoaches were identical in internal layout to those in the 6 PUL units being constructed on similar box girder underframes without any lower trussing and the electrical equipment was also the same except that the motors were Metro-Vick types, not BTH though similar Metro-Vick control gear was provided.

There were detail differences, principally that the sidelights were fixed and had sliding ‘Airstream’ ventilators above them (rather than the full-drop patent balancing type fitted to the 6 PUL vehicles) and were mounted in aluminium window pans. These cars again seated fifty-two third-class, weighed 59 tons, and were 66' 2¾" long over buffers and were to diagram No. 2107.

Smoking was permitted in the 3½ bay saloon adjacent to the guard's van.

Corridor Thirds

The Corridor Thirds (TTK) were also identical in internal layout to those in the 6 PUL units and seated sixty-eight third-class in 8½ compartments. However, at 31½ tons they weighed less and were 63' 6" long over bodies, again being 66' 2¾" long over buffers. They differed from the 6 PUL vehicles by only having one sliding door separating the compartment from the side corridor, also the 'dummy' doors found opposite alternate compartments (a feature also of Maunsell steam stock of this period) had a much taller fixed windows rather than a standard droplight as fitted to the 6 PUL trailers. These vehicles were to the same diagram No. 2010 as the 6 PUL TTK coaches.

Smoking was permitted in the coupe compartment and three adjacent compartments, also in the three at the opposite end of the coach.

Pantry First

The Pantry First consisted of a pantry compartment 13' 3" long, five 7' 1¾" wide first-class compartments each seating six and a lavatory. It had end doors and vestibules at the compartment end and a further wide (4' 6") vestibule with access doors each side between the compartments / pantry area, with no other doors to give access to each compartment. To diagram no. 2600, each coach weighed 31¾ tons, seating capacity was thirty first-class and the length was again 63' 6" long (66' 3" over buffers).

However, the last two cars built weighed 35 tons due to having equalising beam bogies as fitted to the 6 PUL stock trailers. These two cars were built on underframes /bogies ordered in 1931 as part of the experimental unit no.2001, though when formed this unit only had the two motorcoaches newly built; the three trailers used in it being converted steam hauled stock. The unused underframes and bogies were stored until used in the construction of the last two pantry cars.

The window layout in this coach also contrasted with the remaining trailers having large side windows to each compartment surmounted by sliding ventilators above, these having a sliding portion at each end which slid towards the centre of the window allowing an opening of about ¼ of the length. These windows were mirrored along the corridor-side of the coach; only that of the compartment nearest the pantry-end (also the fourth compartment along from it) had sliding ventilators at the top. There were also two similar windows each side in the pantry area (again with no sliding ventilators).

Smoking was allowed in the compartment at the lavatory end of the coach and in the two adjacent to the pantry.

Trailer First

The Corridor Trailer First (TFK) had a lavatory at each end and seven 7' 1¾" wide compartments each seating six, giving a total of forty-two first-class. To diagram no.2506 (the same as the TFK cars in the 6 CITY units) these weighed just under 30½ tons and were 59' 0" long over body (61' 8¾" over buffers).

Smoking was permitted in five of the seven compartments, three at one end of the coach and two at the other.

 

6 PAN unit no.3035 leaves East Croydon’s platform 3 in 1965. Note the centre sidings between platform 2 and platform 3.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

Liveries & Renumbering

The 6 PAN units were renumbered 3021 ‑ 3037 from January 1937.

Units were delivered in lined dark SR green livery, overhauls and repairs from 1941 were painted into the lighter malachite green, whilst from 1956 overhauled units were finished in a slightly darker ‘Southern Region’ green livery.

Units 3029 and 3037 were the first SR units with the ‘Lion & Wheel’ emblem (from about April 1950). Units nos.3024, 3033 and 3035 were fitted with experimental air horns mounted at solebar level in the latter part of 1951, these being similar to those fitted to the LMR diesel locomotives nos.10000 & 10001. However, these horns were later removed and their normal whistles restored.

It is believed there was little or no difference between post-War Malachite and early BR Green-livery (the SR typeface being amended during varnishing). However, later BR Green-livery (1956-on) was much darker. The details for some units still need to be located.

In terms of yellow warning panels on Southern Region multiple unit stock, these commenced at Lancing on 9th October 1963 (2 BIL unit no.2128) thence at Eastleigh on 1st November 1963 (4 LAV unit no.2929). Full-yellow ends started appearing from Eastleigh during February 1967 although some units in for varnish or repair still only acquired yellow warning panels. Eastleigh started applying Blue-livery in July 1967 (4 CIG unit no.7035) with Selhurst following on 12th December 1968 (2 HAP unit no.6009).

From the early nineteen-sixties units began gaining yellow ‘UIC’ cantrail markings to denote the location of first-class accommodation.

On 3rd June 1956, second-class was abolished and third-class was reclassified as second-class and the cars in the units re-designated as motor brake seconds (MBS) etc.

 

 

 

 

Unit

New

SR
Malachite

BR Green
(early)

BR Green
(darker)

Yellow Panel

3021

16-Mar-35

5-Jun-45

-

10-Jul-58

1-Apr-66

3022

22-Mar-35

18-Aug-43

23-Jun-50

21-Sep-59

No?

3023

29-Mar-35

12-May-44

26-Mar-54

No?

15-Jul-64

3024

29-Mar-35

22-Jul-44

2-Jul-54

No

N/K

3025

5-Apr-35

15-Nov-44

8-Jul-48?

No

No

3026

12-Apr-35

2-Jan-45

30-Aug-55

No

17-Feb-64

3027

13-Apr-35

12-Oct-44

9-Dec-54

No

No

3028

24-Apr-35

5-Apr-44

-

22-Oct-57

No

3029

25-Apr-35

20-Aug-47

-

20-Feb-59

No?

3030

7-May-35

8-Jan-46

17-Jun-53

19-Nov-62

No?

3031

3-May-35

22-May-43

15-May-53

No

No

3032

11-May-35

16-Feb-43?

9-Nov-53

No

No

3033

17-May-35

19-Jun-44

25-Jan-54

No

No

3034

21-May-35

28-Nov-47

7-Feb-56

No

No?

3035

24-May-35

-

27-Jul-51

17-Apr-61

28-Jan-66

3036

31-May-35

22-Oct-46

8-Mar-55

No

No?

3037

8-Jun-35

19-Feb-47

1-Jun-56

No

No?

 

 

Maintenance

Like the 6 PUL and 5 BEL units, these units lacked a nose end power jumper. However, if running in multiple with units of the 4 COR /4 RES /4 BUF family, their power jumpers could be coupled to the 'Shed' socket below the offside cab window. Units were given day-to-day routine maintenance at Lovers Walk depot (Brighton) whilst bogie and electrical overhauls took place at Peckham Rye or Slade Green Repair Shops. Body overhauls were dealt with at Lancing works. Heavier body repairs were undertaken at Eastleigh works and later in their lives some unscheduled repairs were also carried out at Selhurst Repair Shops. The Pantry Cars were staffed by Pullman Car Company staff based at Brighton, Eastbourne, Littlehampton and Victoria.

 

Wartime

During the war, the pantry facilities were taken out of use from 27th May 1942 until 7th January 1946 although the cars remained in traffic in the units. Unit no.3029 was quite badly damaged by bombing at Eastbourne in May 1942, whilst unit no.3030 was strafed by enemy gunfire in March 1943. Units nos.3022, 3028, 3030, 3032 and 3033 were damaged when Lovers Walk depot (Brighton) was hit in May 1943; unit no.3030 being very badly affected with one coach was destroyed, this being replaced by new construction after the war. For a while some units were steam-hauled at night for storage in Kemp Town tunnel to protect them from enemy bombing, indeed unit no.3034 was slightly damaged at Kemp Town in October 1943 whilst stored at the mouth of the tunnel. A further unit (which?) was damaged by a flying bomb blast at Streatham Hill in July 1944.

 

Saturday 5th September 1953 and 6 PAN unit no.3036 leads a 6 PUL into Clapham Junction with a Littlehampton service.

Clapham Junction ‘A’ signal box is on the left, opened on 12th October 1952 the British Railways Southern Region Type 15 design ‘B’ box is on the right

Sir Winston Churchill was Prime Minister and ‘I Believe’ by Frankie Laine was number one in the music charts.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

Into Nationalisation

The pantry facilities fell out of use again in the early 1950's, partly due to their rather unsatisfactory design with no cooking equipment and requiring service down the train corridors (which often caused difficulties when trains were crowded) with passengers requiring refreshments then having to use the 6 PUL unit with which these units ran on most principle trains.

Units nos.3021, 3022 and 3023 all spent periods running as 6 PUL with a PUL unit Pullman car replacing the Pantry First whilst the donor 6 PUL unit was out of traffic. Unit no.3032 was withdrawn late in 1958 as a result of damage sustained in an accident at Eastbourne, some of its vehicles then being formed into 6 PUL units.

 

Withdrawal

The units all remained in service on the Central division express services until January 1964 when three were disbanded in connection with the formation of the 4 COR(N) units, the spare cars then being stored at Micheldever. They began to be replaced by new 4 CIG and 4 BIG units from March 1965 and the last units still running in their original form were withdrawn in February 1966, all still in their original green livery. However, many vehicles saw further service in 4 COR and 6 COR units and some trailers survived in service until 1972.

Following withdrawal, disbanded units were stored and split-up as some cars were re-used almost straight away. A number of other cars were stored for possible re-use in push-pull formations on the Oxted line (although this did not take place). Motorcoaches and pantry cars not used again were taken to Selhurst or Wimbledon Park for electrical stripping, some then returning to their storage locations, whilst others went direct to scrapyards.

 

6 PAN unit no.3028 at Eastbourne 12th August 1961

© Chris Wilson collection

 

Unit Formations

 

Unit

MBT

TTK

TFK

PF

TTK

MBT

Withdrawn

Diag. no.

2107

2010

2506

2600

2010

2107

 

3021

11047

10022

12260

12501
Grace

12501

10021

11048

Feb-66

3022

11049

10024

12261

12502
Elinor
12502

10023

11050

Feb-66

3023

11051

10026

12262

12503
Lorna
Naomi
12503
Ethel
12503

10025

11052

Oct-65

3024

11064

10028

12263

12504
12501
12504

10027

11065

Oct-65

3025

11067

10029

12264

12505

10030

11066
11054

Mar-65

3026

11054
11006 1

10032

12265

12506

10031

11053

4-Dec-65

3027

11068

10034

12266

12507

10033

11069

c.10-Jan-64

3028

11070

10036

12267

12508

10035

11071

Oct-65

3029

11055

10037

12268

12509

10038

11056
11066

8-Jan-66

3030

11072

10040

12269

12510

10039
10039 2

11073
11077

Nov-65

3031

11057

10042

12270

12511

10041

11058

28-Jan-64

3032

11074

10044

12271

12512

10043

11075

25-Oct-58

3033

11059

10046

12272

12513

10045

11060

27-Jan-64

3034

11076

10048

12273

12514

10047

11077
11073

Dec-65

3035

11061

10050

12274

12515

10049

11062

4-Dec-65

3036

11079

10051

12275

12516

10052

11078

Oct-65

3037

11063

10054

12276

12517

10053

11080

Jan-66

Notes

#1

6 PUL MBT diagram 2112.

 

#2

Post-war replacement of original vehicle, diagram 2009.

 

 

                                                    Individual Unit Notes

Unit

Details

3021

PF no.12501 replaced by Pullman Grace (ex.3003) in late 1952. As 6 PUL, unit was 397' 5" long, weighed 254½ tons and seated sixty first-class and two-hundred & first-six third-class. Displaced 12501 used in unit no.3024 at this time.

Unit disbanded Feb‑66 as follows:

10021 (TSK) & 12260 (TFK) removed and sent to Eastleigh 4‑Mar‑66 for overhaul and formed into 6 COR unit no.3043 Jun‑66.

11047 (MBS) withdrawn 14‑May‑66 and stripped at Wimbledon Park c.Jun-66 and sold for scrapping 21‑Jul‑66 to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) moving from Salisbury 28‑Jul‑66.

10022 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Hassocks, withdrawn 21-Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 30‑Mar‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving that day, arriving 13‑Apr‑68, cut-up 23‑Apr‑68.

12260 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR 3043 from May‑66.

12501 (PF) Withdrawn 23‑Jul‑66 and stored at Hove by Aug-66. Sold for scrapping 24‑Sep‑66 to A. King (Wymondham) moving from Hove.

10021 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3043 from May‑66.

11048 (MBS) withdrawn 14‑May‑66 and stripped at Wimbledon Park c.Jun‑66. Sold for scrapping 21‑Jul‑66 to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) moving from Salisbury 28‑Jul‑66.

Both MBS cars moved from Hassocks via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun‑66. Wimbledon Park to Salisbury 21‑Jul‑66 and forward to Morriston 28‑Jul‑66.

3022

PF no.12502 replaced by Pullman Elinor (ex.3004) date unknown, but reverted to normal by Feb‑53. As 6 PUL unit was 397' 5" long, weighed 254½ tons and seated sixty first-class and two-hundred & first-six third-class. MBS cars rebogied with leaf springs c.May‑57.

Unit disbanded 8‑Jan‑66 as follows:

10024 (TSK) and 12261 (TFK) removed and sent to Eastleigh 4‑Mar‑66 for overhaul and formed into 6 COR unit no.3050 May‑66.

11049 (MBS) withdrawn 8‑Jan‑66 and stored at Hassocks, stripped at Wimbledon Park c.Jun‑66. Moved for scrapping to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) from Salisbury 28‑Jul‑66.

10024 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3050 from May‑66.

12261 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3050 from May‑66.

12502 (PF) withdrawn 5‑Feb‑66 and stored at Hassocks, sold for scrapping 25‑Jun‑66 to A King (Norwich) moved from Hassocks 4‑Jun‑66?

10023 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Hassocks, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 30‑Mar‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving that day, arriving 13‑Apr‑68, cut-up 22‑Apr‑68.

11050 (MBS) withdrawn 5‑Feb‑66 and stored at Hassocks, stripped at Wimbledon Park c.Jun‑66 and sold for scrapping 10‑Sep‑66 to A. King (Wymondham) moving from Wimbledon Park? C.22‑Oct‑66.

Both MBS cars moved from Hassocks via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun‑66. MBS no.11049 moved Wimbledon Park to Salisbury 21‑Jul‑66 and forward to Morriston 28‑Jul‑66. MBS no.11050 sold to A King (Wymondham) 10‑Sep‑66.

3023

PF no.12503 replaced by Pullman Lorna (ex.3008) during 1951 and early 1952, then by Naomi (ex.3011) until reverted to normal by May‑52. As 6 PUL unit was 397' 5" long, weighed 254½ tons and seated sixty first-class and two-hundred & first-six third-class. Unit again ran briefly as 6 PUL in Mar‑57 with Pullman car Ethel (ex.3018) whilst displaced PF 12503 was used in 6 PUL unit no.3012, and again in Dec‑57 with Pullman car Olive (ex.3002).

MBS no.11051 badly damaged in collision with 4 BUF unit no.3079 in New Cross Gate down sidings 27‑Sep‑62 and stored at Ford from 23‑Oct‑62 until c.Dec‑62 then to Lancing for bogie change and on to Eastleigh 14‑Jan‑63 for repairs, released 21‑May‑63 and back to Lancing for original bogie after repair.

Unit hit by no.2955 in Lovers Walk depot 13‑Nov‑63 and TFK 12262 badly damaged and TSK 10026 lesser damage. These two to Lancing for repair, remaining four cars of units stored at Hassocks.

Unit disbanded Oct‑65 and sent to Micheldever as follows:

12262 (TFK) and 10026 (TSK) both formed into no.3010 to become 6 COR no.3044

10025 (TSK) formed into no.3002 to become 6 COR unit no.3046.

11051 (MBS) stored at Micheldever then to Andover 14‑Dec‑65, stripped at Wimbledon Park from 5‑Jan‑66, withdrawn 14‑May‑66 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) Apr‑66.

10026 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3044 from Mar‑66.

12262 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3044 from Mar‑66.

12503 (PF) stored at Micheldever then Andover 14‑Dec‑65, stripped at Wimbledon Park, from 5‑Jan‑66, withdrawn 14‑May‑66 and moved to Salisbury 21‑Jul‑66 and sold for scrapping 21‑Jul‑66 to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) moving 28‑Jul-66.

10025 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3046 from Feb‑66.

11052 (MBS) stored at Micheldever then Andover 14‑Dec‑65, stripped at Wimbledon Park, from 5‑Jan‑66, withdrawn 14‑May‑66 and moved to Salisbury 21‑Jul‑66 and sold for scrapping 21‑Jul‑66 to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) moving 28‑Jul-66.

3024

Unit fitted with solebar level air horns in late 1951, these later being removed.

PF no.12504 temporarily replaced by no.12501 (ex.3021) in late 1952.

Unit damaged in collision with derailed 4 LAV no.2929 at Victoria 28‑Aug‑63 with TFK 12263 and TSK 10028 both damaged and to Micheldever 20‑Sep‑63, moving to Eastleigh for repairs 30‑Sep‑63; the first 6 PAN unit dealt with there for many years. Released 1‑Nov‑63.

Unit disbanded Oct‑65 and to Micheldever for reforming:

12263 (TFK) into 6 PUL unit no.3002, remaining five cars for store, all five visited Eastleigh briefly for wheelset changes then returned to Micheldever for store and disposal. PF 12504 remained at Micheldever but 11064 + 10027 + 10028 + 11065 went back to Lancing for a while, then to Cosham by Jun‑66 and on to Micheldever again 13‑Jun‑66.

11064 (MBS) withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, to Wimbledon Park for stripping 23‑Aug‑66 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) c.Oct‑66.

10028 (TSK) stored as loose stock, to Micheldever from 13‑Jun‑66, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 6‑Apr‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving 10‑Apr‑68 arriving 29‑May‑68, cut-up 12‑Jun‑68.

12263 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3046 from Feb‑66.

12504 (PF) withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, stored at Andover, moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) May‑66 from Clapham Yard?

10027 (TSK) stored as loose stock, to Micheldever from 13‑Jun-66, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and to Ashford works 4‑Oct‑68 where body broken‑up and underframe converted to a Crane Runner numbered DS 70278.

11065 (MBS) withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, to Wimbledon Park for stripping 23‑Aug‑66 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) c.Oct‑66.

3025

Unit involved in London Bridge collision 23‑Jan‑48 with MBT no.11067 pushed over the buffer stops onto the station concourse and damaged. MBT no.11066 to unit no.3029 and replaced by no.11054 (ex.3026).

The Seaford (and Ore) to London Bridge train was formed of a 6 PAN with 6 PUL unit no. 3014 at its rear (Ore portion; Pullman car ninth vehicle); the empty stock was formed of two 6 PAN units with no.3025 sitting at the buffer-stop end of platform 14.

The 6 PAN units in collision were nos.3026 & 3029.

The MoT report stated:

"The 8.5 a.m. electric passenger train Seaford to London Bridge, which had approached the station on the Up Through line, overran the Inner Home signal at Danger and collided at a speed of about 15 m.p.h. with an empty train standing at No. 14 platform, awaiting signals to leave for New Cross Gate.

I regret to report that the motorman of the incoming train was killed, together with a passed fireman who was in the cab with him, learning the route; an intending passenger received fatal injuries, when the rear of the stationary train was driven on to the concourse. Seventy-four passengers, two railway servants, one member of the Pullman car staff, and two employees at a railway bookstall, were injured or suffered from shock; of these, three were detained in hospital."

Unit disbanded Mar‑65 as follows:

11054 (MBS) withdrawn Mar‑65. Stored at Micheldever and moved for scrapping to Birds (Bynea) 2‑Jul‑65.

10030 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Hassocks, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 30‑Mar‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving that day, arriving 13‑Apr‑68, cut-up 21‑Apr‑68.

12264 (FK) stored as loose stock at Hassocks, withdrawn 21‑(Oct)‑67 and moved for scrapping to    Armytage (Sheepbridge) arriving 13‑Apr‑68, cut-up 24‑Apr‑68.

12505 (PF) withdrawn Mar‑65. stored at Hassocks, sold for scrap 25‑Jun‑66 to A King (Wymondham)? moved from Hassocks 4‑Jun‑66?

10029 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Hassocks, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 30‑Mar‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge( moving that day, arriving 13‑Apr‑68, cut-up 1‑May‑68.

11067 (MBS) withdrawn Mar‑65. Stored at Micheldever and moved for scrapping to Birds (Bynea) 2‑Jul‑65.

3026

Unit involved in London Bridge collision 23‑Jan‑48 and MBT no.11053 telescoped with no.11056 (unit no.3029). No.11054 to unit no.3025 and replaced by 6 PUL MBT no.11006 (ex.3003), and unit back to traffic late 1949, the 6 PUL MBS being fitted at this time with experimental bogies with radial top bearings.

The Seaford (and Ore) to London Bridge train was formed of a 6 PAN with 6 PUL unit no. 3014 at its rear (Ore portion; Pullman car ninth vehicle); the empty stock was formed of two 6 PAN units with no.3025 sitting at the buffer-stop end of platform 14.

The 6 PAN units in collision were nos.3026 & 3029.

The MoT report stated:

"The 8.5 a.m. electric passenger train Seaford to London Bridge, which had approached the station on the Up Through line, overran the Inner Home signal at Danger and collided at a speed of about 15 m.p.h. with an empty train standing at No. 14 platform, awaiting signals to leave for New Cross Gate.

I regret to report that the motorman of the incoming train was killed, together with a passed fireman who was in the cab with him, learning the route; an intending passenger received fatal injuries, when the rear of the stationary train was driven on to the concourse. Seventy-four passengers, two railway servants, one member of the Pullman car staff, and two employees at a railway bookstall, were injured or suffered from shock; of these, three were detained in hospital."

Unit disbanded 4‑Dec‑65 and moved to Wimbledon Park for stripping where nos.10032 &12265 removed, remaining 4-cars to Andover for store 5‑Jan‑66, made-up to 6-car with Pullman Joyce and TSK 11760 (both ex.3015). TSK no.10032 and TFK no.12265 formed into unit no.3015 at Wimbledon Park and sent to Eastleigh for overhaul 6‑Jan‑66.

11006 (MBS) withdrawn Dec‑65. Sold for scrap 9‑May‑66 (location and date unknown, possibly to A King (Wymondham) from Clapham Yard May‑66).

10032 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3049 from Mar‑66.

12265 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3049 from Mar‑66.

12506 (PF) withdrawn Dec‑65 stored at Andover, moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) 5‑Jun‑66.

10031 (TSK) stored as loose stock, at Andover, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and moved to Basingstoke 25‑Mar‑68 and sold for scrapping 22‑Jun‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving 17‑Apr‑68 arriving 13‑May‑68, cut-up 23‑May‑68.

11053 (MBS) withdrawn Dec‑65. Sold for scrap 9‑May‑66 (location and date unknown, possibly to A King (Wymondham) from Clapham Yard May‑66).

3027

MBS 11069 slightly damaged in collision with 4 LAV unit no.2944 at New Cross Gate c.25‑Sep‑60.

Unit disbanded at Lovers Walk 10‑Jan‑64 by removal of both TSK cars and they were replaced temporarily by ex.4 RES kitchen cars nos.12604 (unit no.3066), 12616 (unit no.3062) and 12619 (unit no.3054) for movement to Micheldever 12‑Jan‑64 where TFK no.12266 slightly damaged on arrival in a derailment.

11068 (MBS) reformed temporarily into six-car pull-push test unit (retaining no.3027) from Jan‑64 to Oct‑64 then stored at Micheldever until withdrawn 19‑Dec‑64 and sold for scrap (location and date unknown, possibly to Birds (Bynea) c17‑Jul‑65).

10034 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR (N) unit no.3065 from 17‑Jan‑64.

12266 (TFK) reformed temporarily into six-car pull-push test unit (retaining no.3027) from Jan‑64 to Oct‑64 then stored at Micheldever, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67. To Ashford works 10‑Sep‑68 where body broken‑up and underframe converted to a Crane Runner numbered DS 70276.

12507 (PF) stored at Micheldever, used for a while as a ‘work study’ office at Brockenhurst, withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65. Stripped at Wimbledon Park c.Jun‑66 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) Oct‑66.

10033 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR (N) unit no.3066 from 17‑Jan‑64.

11069 (MBS) reformed temporarily into six-car pull-push test unit (retaining no.3027) from Jan‑64 to Oct‑64 then stored at Micheldever until withdrawn 19‑Dec‑64 and moved for scrapping to Birds (Bynea) Oct‑65

3028

Unit disbanded Oct‑65 (arrived Wimbledon Park by 17‑Sep‑65). TSK no.10036 and TFK no.12267 removed and sent to Micheldever for store, these later moving to Eastleigh 10‑Feb‑66 for overhaul and formed into 6 COR unit no.3048 from 24‑Mar‑66.

11070 (MBS) stripped at Wimbledon Park Sep‑65, withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, moved to Andover for store 14‑Dec‑65 and moved for scrapping to A King, Wymondham Apr‑66, possibly from Clapham Yard?

10036 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3048 from 24‑Mar‑66.

12267 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3048 from 24‑Mar‑66.

12508 (PF) stripped at Wimbledon Park Sep‑65, withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, moved to Andover for store 14‑Dec‑65 and moved for scrapping to A King, Wymondham 5‑Jun‑66.

10035 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3048 from Mar‑66.

11071 (MBS) stripped at Wimbledon Park Sep‑65, withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, moved to Andover for store 14‑Dec‑65 and moved for scrapping to A King, Wymondham Apr‑66, possibly from Clapham Yard?

3029

Unit damaged by enemy action at Eastbourne 4‑May‑42 and repaired at Lovers Walk by 1‑Sep‑42.

Unit involved in London Bridge collision 23‑Jan‑48 and MBT no.11056 telescoped with no.11053 (car no.3026). This coach repaired and to 6 PUL unit no.3003 in Jun‑49, being replaced by no.11066 (ex.3025).

The Seaford (and Ore) to London Bridge train was formed of a 6 PAN with 6 PUL unit no. 3014 at its rear (Ore portion; Pullman car ninth vehicle); the empty stock was formed of two 6 PAN units with no.3025 sitting at the buffer-stop end of platform 14.

The 6 PAN units in collision were nos.3026 & 3029.

The MoT report stated:

"The 8.5 a.m. electric passenger train Seaford to London Bridge, which had approached the station on the Up Through line, overran the Inner Home signal at Danger and collided at a speed of about 15 m.p.h. with an empty train standing at No. 14 platform, awaiting signals to leave for New Cross Gate.

I regret to report that the motorman of the incoming train was killed, together with a passed fireman who was in the cab with him, learning the route; an intending passenger received fatal injuries, when the rear of the stationary train was driven on to the concourse. Seventy-four passengers, two railway servants, one member of the Pullman car staff, and two employees at a railway bookstall, were injured or suffered from shock; of these, three were detained in hospital."

Unit disbanded 8‑Jan‑66 and TSK no.10037 and TFK no.12268 removed and sent to Hove, remainder of unit to Hassocks for store. TSK no.10037 and TFK no.12268 later moved to Eastleigh for overhaul arriving 4‑Mar‑66 and formed into 6 COR unit no.3042 Jun‑66.

11055 (MBS) withdrawn 8‑Jun‑66 and stored at Hassocks, moved via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun-66, moved to Salisbury for store 21‑Jul‑66 and on for scrapping to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) 28‑Jul‑66.

10037 (TSK) stored at Hove then moved to Lovers Walk 8‑Jun‑66 and reformed into 6 COR unit no.3042 from Jun‑66.

12268 (TFK) stored at Hove then moved to Lovers Walk 8‑Jun‑66 and reformed into 6 COR unit no.3042 from Jun‑66.

12509 (PF) withdrawn 8‑Jan‑66. stored at Hassocks, moved via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun-66, moved to Salisbury for store 21‑Jul‑66 and on for scrapping to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) 28‑Jul‑66.

10038 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Hassocks, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and moved for scrapping to Armytage (Sheepbridge) arriving 13‑Apr‑68, cut-up 24‑Apr‑68.

11066 (MBS) withdrawn 8‑Jan‑66 and stored at Hassocks, moved via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun‑66, moved to Salisbury for store 21‑Jul‑66 and on for scrapping to G Cohen Ltd (Morriston) 28‑Jul‑66.

3030

Unit hit by enemy machine gun fire near West Worthing 9‑Mar‑43 and roofs of no.11072 and no.12269 damaged.

Unit damaged again by enemy action at Brighton 25‑May‑43 and MBT no.11073 and pantry no.12510 both badly damaged; TTK no.10039 destroyed and remains scrapped 23‑Jun‑43. Nos.11073 & 12510 both repaired at Lancing by Aug‑43. Nos.11073 & 10040 both used in 4 COR unit no.3128 ‘in 1944’.

No.11073 to unit no.3034 in 1946 and replaced by no.11077 (ex.3034).

A new 10039 constructed in 1947 to replace original, the underframe order for this coach being HO 5736 body HO 3078, the unit running as a 5-car in the meantime. The new coach was to the 4 COR design with slight detail differences to the original, diagram No. 2009.

PF no.12510 replaced by 6 PUL TSK no.11782 (ex.3010) 1‑Nov‑65 and unit to Eastleigh for overhaul 2‑Nov‑65 and released 19‑Nov‑65 as 6 COR unit no.3045. PF 12510 also visited Eastleigh briefly (wheelset changes?) then returned to Micheldever for store and disposal.

Unit disbanded Oct‑65:

11072 (MBS) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3045 from Nov‑65.

10040 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3045 from Nov ‑65.

12269 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3045 from Nov ‑65.

12510 (PF) withdrawn 4‑Dec‑65 stored at Andover and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) 5‑Jun‑66.

10039 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3045 from Nov ‑65.

11077 (MBS) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3045 from Nov‑65.

3031

Unit ran briefly in early 1960 with Pullman Car Ida (ex.3005) replacing TFK 12270.

Unit disbanded at Lovers Walk 28‑Jan‑64:

11057 (MBS) stored at Micheldever, then to Selhurst Feb‑64 for use in push-pull trials from Jun‑64.

10042 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR (N) unit no.3069 from 28‑Jan‑64.

12270 (TFK) stored at Micheldever for ‘Set 305’ but not used, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67. To Ashford works 10‑Sep‑68 where body broken‑up and underframe converted to a Crane Runner numbered DS 70279.

12511 (PF) stored at Micheldever, moved to Chart Leacon by Jul‑65 in use as a ‘work study’ office, then to Bricklayers Arms, and withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65, moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) c.Oct‑66.

10041 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR (N) unit no.3070 from 28‑Jan‑64.

11058 (MBS) stored at Micheldever, then to Selhurst Feb‑64 for use in push-pull trials from Jun‑64.

11057 and 11058 used for further tests on conductor rail clearances on the Bournemouth line during 1967 (both being at Wimbledon Park by Jul‑65) and condemned from 12‑Aug‑67 when converted to departmental coaches DS70258 and DS70259.

These coaches survived in departmental service until Dec‑69, then withdrawn and stored at Coulsdon North and Micheldever. Both moved to Stewarts Lane Jul‑71 and on to Selhurst depot for stripping Jul‑71 before returning to Micheldever Oct‑71 then on to Weymouth. Both moved for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) 24‑Jan‑72.

3032

Unit involved in Eastbourne collision (with 6 PUL unit no.3014 leading) on 25‑Aug‑58 and withdrawn 25‑Oct‑58; the sleeper train being in collision with the 6 PUL unit - 6 PAN unit no.3032 being at the rear of the 12-car formation.

The MoT report stated:

"The 7.45 pm. car-sleeper express steam train from Glasgow ran past the home signal at Eastbourne at danger, and collided at a speed of about 25 m.p.h. with the 6.47 am. multiple-unit. 12-coach. Electric passenger train from Ore to London Bridge, which was about to start from No. 4 platform under clear signals. This train reverses at Eastbourne which is a terminus station. The impact was heavy, and the steam engine ploughed into the leading coach of the electric train which was telescoped into the one behind it. Both vehicles were forced into the air and turned on to their sides on the platform as the train was pushed back over the short distance to the buffer stops. The leading coach struck and dislodged a heavy signal gantry above it as it rose in the air, but the gantry fortunately fell clear of the capsized coaches.

The electric train was not heavily loaded and there were few passengers in the first 2 coaches; I regret to report, however, that 3 passengers and the motorman were killed, and a fourth passenger died in hospital from his injuries a few hours later. Twenty-two more passengers required treatment in hospital, though it was only necessary to detain five of them. and eighteen others were treated for minor injuries at the station. The damage to the passenger coaches of the steam train was slight and only one passenger received minor injuries."

Bodywork of TSK 10043 broken-up on site and the underframe used to repair TCK no.11758 (ex.3014) at Lancing during repairs to that coach by May‑59, Pantry no.12512 and TFK no.12271 both spare and stored at Micheldever until 30‑Jan‑61 when moved to Strawberry Hill for stripping prior to being taken to Newhaven for scrapping 27‑Apr‑61.

MBS no.11075 used in temporary unit no.3014 from Dec‑58 which became permanent. TSK no.10044 to 6 PUL unit no.3014 from May‑59 (both officially in unit no.3014 from 10‑Oct‑58). MBS no.11074 stored as a spare coach mostly at Hassocks until sent to Newhaven for scrapping Jan/Feb-61.

Following this mishap, a further two 4 CEP units (nos.7203 & 7204) were ordered on 13th October 1959.

3033

Unit fitted with solebar level air horns in late 1951, these later being removed.

Unit disbanded at Lovers Walk 27‑Jan‑64. Both MBSs stripped at Wimbledon Park by May-64 and hauled to Micheldever c.18‑May‑65.

11059 (MBS) stored at Micheldever for ‘Set 304’ but not used, withdrawn 15‑May‑65 and moved for scrapping to Birds (Bynea) 2‑Jul‑65.

10046 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR (N) unit no.3067 from 27‑Jan‑64.

12272 (TFK) stored at Micheldever for ’Set 303’ but not used, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 6‑Apr‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving 10‑Apr‑68, arriving 24‑Apr‑68, cut-up 29‑Apr‑68.

12513 (PF) stored at Micheldever, withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65 and moved to Andover 14‑Dec‑65 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) 5‑Jun‑66.

10045 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR (N) unit no.3068 from 27‑Jan‑64.

11060 (MBS) stored at Micheldever then formed into 6-car set of vehicles from units nos.3004 /3014 /3018 for ‘push-pull’ tests and stored at Farnham. Returned to Lovers Walk Sep‑64 until moved to Hassocks Oct‑64, later back to Micheldever for ‘Set 303’ but not used, withdrawn 15‑May‑65 and moved for scrapping to Birds (Bynea) 2‑Jul‑65.

3034

Unit damaged in collision with a goods train at Polegate 28‑Nov‑41.

MBT no.11077 damaged by enemy action (where, possibly at Streatham Hill 1-Jul-44?) and to unit no.3030 in 1946 after repairs. Replaced by no.11073 (ex.3030).

Unit (also 6 PUL unit no.3016) fitted with experimental EP brakes in c.Sep‑47, this equipment then removed c.Jun‑49 for re-use in the 4 DD units.

Unit disbanded Dec‑65 and unit to Wimbledon Park for stripping. TSK no.10048 and TFK no.12273 removed and 4-cars sent to Andover for store 5‑Jan‑66. TSK no.10048 and TFK no.12273 moved to Eastleigh 4‑Mar‑66 for overhaul and formed into 6 COR from Jun‑66.

11076 (MBS) withdrawn Dec‑65, moved for scrapping May‑66 (probably to A King (Wymondham) from Clapham Yard).

10048 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3041 from Jun‑66.

12273 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3041 from Jun‑66.

12514 (TFK) withdrawn Dec‑65 stored at Andover and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) 5‑Jun‑66.

10047 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Andover, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 then to Basingstoke 29‑Mar‑68 and sold for scrapping 22‑Jun‑68! to Armytage (Sheepbridge) moving 17‑Apr‑68 arriving 13‑May‑68, cut-up 23‑May‑68.

11073 (MBS) withdrawn Dec‑65, moved for scrapping May‑66 (probably to A King (Wymondham) from Clapham Yard).

3035

Unit fitted with solebar level air horns in late 1951, these later being removed.

Unit disbanded 4‑Dec‑65. Unit to Micheldever for reforming Nov‑65 and PF no.12515 removed and replaced by 6 PUL TSK no.11753 (ex.3002) and unit to Eastleigh 3‑Jan‑66 for overhaul and released 28‑Jan‑66 as 6 COR unit no.3047. PF no.12515 also visited Eastleigh briefly for wheelset changes then returned to Micheldever for store and disposal.

11061 (MBS) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3047 from Jan-66.

10050 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3047 from Jan-66.

12274 (TFK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3047 from Jan-66.

12515 (PF) withdrawn 4‑Dec‑65, stored at Andover and sold for scrap at A King (Wymondham) 5‑Jun‑66.

10049 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3047 from Jan-66.

11062 (TSK) reformed into 6 COR unit no.3047 from Jan-66.

3036

Equalising beam bogies fitted to PF no.12516 replaced with leaf sprung bogies in Oct-56.

Unit hit open wagon door on passing goods train on Quarry Line 9‑Nov‑61 and MBS no.11078 damaged and sent to Lancing for repair.

Unit disbanded Oct‑65 and initially stored at Lancing, then moved to Micheldever.

11078 (MBS) withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65 and moved from Micheldever to Andover 14‑Dec‑65, thence to Wimbledon Park 5‑Jan‑66 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) Apr‑66.

10052 (TSK) stored as loose stock at Micheldever, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 6‑Apr‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) 17‑Apr‑68 arriving 17‑May‑68, cut-up 24‑May‑68.

12275 (TFK) stored as loose stock at Micheldever, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67. To Ashford 10‑Sep‑68 where body broken‑up and underframe converted to a Crane Runner numbered DS 70277.

12516 (PF) withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65 and moved from Micheldever to Andover 14‑Dec‑65, moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) 5‑Jun‑66.

10051 (TSK) stored as loose stock, at Cosham by Jun‑66, and moved from Eastleigh to Micheldever 13‑Jun‑66, withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and sold for scrapping 6‑Apr‑68 to Armytage (Sheepbridge) 10‑Apr‑68 arriving 29‑May‑68, cut-up 11‑Jun‑68.

11079 (MBS) withdrawn 30‑Oct‑65 and moved from Micheldever to Andover 14‑Dec‑65, thence to Wimbledon Park 5‑Jan‑66 and moved for scrapping to A King (Wymondham) Apr‑66.

3037

Equalising beam bogies fitted to PF no.12517 replaced with leaf sprung bogies in Nov-55.

Unit disbanded Jan‑66; initial store at Balcombe. TSK no.10053 formed into 4 PUL unit no.3055 and TSK no.10054 formed into 4 PUL unit no.3057 at Lovers Walk, both these units then sent to Eastleigh 5‑Nay‑66 for overhaul and renumbering as 4 COR units nos.3162 & 3163 respectively.

11080 (MBS) withdrawn 12‑Feb‑66, stored at Hassocks then via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun‑66, sold for scrapping 27‑Aug‑66 to Birds (Bynea) arr. C.Sep‑66.

10054 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR unit no.3163 from Mar‑66.

12276 (TFK) reformed temporarily into 4 PUL 3057 from 2‑66 until 3‑66 then stored as loose stock at Andover. Withdrawn 21‑Oct‑67 and moved for scrapping to Armytage (Sheepbridge) c.May‑68.

12517 (PF) withdrawn 12‑Feb‑66, stored at Hove then Chichester and sold for scrapping 25‑Jun‑66 to Birds (Bynea).

10053 (TSK) reformed into 4 COR unit no.3162 from Mar‑66.

11063 (NBS) withdrawn 12‑Feb‑66, stored at Hassocks then via Redhill and on to Wimbledon Park for stripping 13‑Jun‑66, sold for scrapping 27‑Aug‑66 to Birds (Bynea) arr. C.Sep‑66.

Note: MBS 11063 & 11080 also reported as moving to King’s (Norwich) 14‑Aug‑66.

 

 

Push-Pull Test Trials
Six-Car Test Unit no.3027

A scratch six-car test unit was formed by April 1964 at Micheldever for push-pull trials on the SED in connection with the Bournemouth electrification scheme. Devoid of catering vehicles, it did not run in passenger service and was numbered 3027 (these numbers being already carried on the ex.6 PAN MBS cars upon its formation).

The shoebeams were removed and the unit used for some starting tests on Sole Street Bank. On completion of testing the 6-car test unit was stored at Blackheath, arriving there 30th June 1964. It was moved to Wimbledon Park about 22nd August 1964.

Push-Pull Test Unit no.3027

Unit

MBS

TSK

TFK

TCK

TSK

MBS

Disbanded

Diag. no.

2107

2010

2506

2309

2010

2107

 

3027

11068

10014

12266

11768

10009

11069

Oct-64

Apr-64

(3027)

(3020)

(3027)

(3017)

(3017)

(3027)

 

 

When testing was completed, six-car test unit no.3027 was sent to Micheldever for store (arriving there by 4th October 1964). TSK cars 10009 and 10014 also TCK 11768 were taken to Eastleigh 11th January 1965 for conversion and overhaul for use in 6 TC unit no.601.

The other three vehicles, MBS cars 11068 and 11069 with TFK 12266 remained at Micheldever. All three had been earmarked for use in the proposed Oxted line push‑pull sets; cars 11069 & 12266 for ‘Set 301’, and 11068 for ‘Set 302’ but none were so used. MBS 11068 disposal unknown (probably to Bird Group, Bynea circa October 1965), MBS 11069 scrapped by Bird Group, Bynea October 1965, moved from Basingstoke 16th October 1965. TFK 12266 stored as loose vehicle until withdrawn 21st October 1967 when underframe used for crane‑runner DS70276.

 

Proposed Push-Pull Sets

During early 1964 plans were drawn-up to utilise some recently withdrawn PUL & PAN coaches, suitably modified and formed into 3-car ‘half sets’ which would run in pairs as six-coach trains on the ‘Oxted’ line services in push-pull configuration with modified BRCW type 3 diesel locomotives.

The Oxted lines had recently had nineteen new 3-car DEMU units put into service (3D ‘East Sussex’) but there were insufficient of these to cover all the peak-hour trains and some steam loco operated services remained. At this stage there were also no suitable electrically heated loco-hauled carriages available so the option of using withdrawn EMU stock as a stop-gap measure was seen as a quick temporary solution to speed-up the elimination of remaining steam worked trains, and would also provide a possible contingency resource in the event of delays in providing new stock for the Bournemouth line electrification, which also entailed the provision of a large number of electrically heated stock converted from existing Mark 1 coaches at York.

Plans were far enough advanced for the allocation of vehicles to sets to be worked-out, in a few cases requiring the re-trim of some TCK cars which would be used as TSK vehicles in these sets. Former MBS cars would be de-motored and now classified as trailer second brake (TSB), and presumably modified with ETH (electric train heating) receptacles low down on the cab ends to allow the supply of heating current from the locomotive hauling or propelling the train. Seating totals are shown, with half sets 301 + 302 together, 303 + 304 together, similarly 305 + 306 and 307 + 308, again presumably the sets would be semi-permanently coupled. Seating capacity of the four trains thus formed varied slightly and sets nos.305 - 308 all included a 64 seat TSK which was a former TCK downgraded to all second and retrimmed with the first- class compartments now regarded as seating four-aside (eight seats).

Coaches earmarked for use in this project were all taken from the 6 PUL and 6 PAN units withdrawn at Lovers Walk in January 1964 and moved to Micheldever for storage. Overhaul and modification work on them for conversion would have probably been done at nearby Eastleigh works had the project continued, but no work was actually done and some coaches were then used for other projects, several going into 6 COR units and two of the MBSs onto a temporary 8-car formation of two 4 COR units with the ex. 6 PUL MBS marshalled on the outer ends. Of those not used, they remained in store at Micheldever until the MBS cars were taken to Wimbledon /Selhurst for electrical stripping prior to disposal during 1965, whilst the trailer cars were all condemned on 21st October 1967 and sent for scrapping, mostly to Armytage at Sheepbridge, though two were dealt with on the SR and their underframes re-used for crane runner wagons.

Proposed formations of these sets were as follows:

 

Set No.

Coach

Ex.unit

Type

Seats

Total Seats


301

11069
12266
10014

3027
3027
3020

TSB
TFK
TSK

-
42F
-

52S
-
68S


42F


120S


302

10009
11768
11068

3017
3017
3027

TSK
TFK
TSB

-
30F
-

68S
24S
52S


30F


144S

 

 

 

 

Train

total

72F

264S

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


303

11060
12272
10012

3033
3033
3018

TSB
TFK
TSK

-
42F
-

52S
-
68S


42F


120S


304

10006
11777
11059

3004
3020
3033

TSK
TCK
TSB

-
30F
-

68S
24S
52S


30F


144S

 

 

 

 

Train

total

72F

264S

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


305

11039
12270
11773

3020
3031
3018

TSB
TFK
TCK

-
42F
*

52S
-
64S


42F


116S


306

11774
11767
11034

3018
3017
3017

TCK
TCK
TSB

*
30F
-

64S
24S
52S


30F


140S

 

 

 

 

Train

total

72F

256S

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


307

11035
11757
11758

3018
3014
3014

TSB
TCK
TCK

-
30F
*

52S
24S
64S


30F


140S


308

11761
11762
11036

3004
3004
3018

TCK
TCK
TSB

*
30F
-

64S
24S
52S


30F


140S

 

 

 

 

Train

total

60F

280S

 

Notes

 

*

Coach reclassified from TCK (30F/24S) to TSK (64S) with downgraded compartments retrimmed and altered to seat four-aside.

 

      

Thanks go to research author John Atkinson, webpage author, and additional research from C.Watts along with the many photographers listed below their images.

 

Home

ALL TEXT PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Contact