BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard

 

© BloodandCustard

Southern Region

CED & SED Depots

Central & South Eastern Divisions

 

Down parcels train on Eastern No. 3 Down line, part of the unique 11-track stretch from London Bridge to Spa Road (31st May 1958). The locomotive is Wainwright /Maunsell D1-class 4-4-0 no. 31741 (built as a D in March 1902, rebuilt to D1 in February 1927, withdrawn September 1959).
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Down parcels train on Eastern No. 3 Down line, part of the unique 11-track stretch from London Bridge to Spa Road (31st May 1958). The locomotive is Wainwright /Maunsell D1-class 4-4-0 no. 31741 (built as a D in March 1902, rebuilt to D1 in February 1927, withdrawn September 1959).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Ben Brooksbank

In researching photographs for BloodandCustard webpages many excellent the photographs taken by the late Ben Brooksbank emerged of the Geograph website including these taken at Central and South Eastern Division Depots of the Southern Region.

Ben granted permission to use these photographs under the Creative Commons licence. Sadly, those of us here at BloodandCustard never got to meet Ben (sadly he passed in 2018). However, this page is dedicated in gratitude towards both Ben and his foresight to take these photographs which form part of an important historical record.

 

 

Hither Green

(73C)

12th March 1960

 

With loop line round to Lee visible on the right, ex-SE&C Wainwright class C-class 0-6-0 no. 31298 is fully coaled. Built in March 1908, this locomotive was withdrawn in November 1960.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

With loop line round to Lee visible on the right, ex-SE&C Wainwright class C-class 0-6-0 no. 31298 is fully coaled. Built in March 1908, this locomotive was withdrawn in November 1960.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Standing by the coaling stage is Maunsell N-class no. 31403 with its slope-sided tender. Built in August 1932, this locomotive was withdrawn in September 1963.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Photographed at Hither Green on Saturday 12th March 1960, no. 15202 was one of three pioneer 0-6-0 diesel-electric shunting locomotives built to Bulleid /English-Electric design for the Southern Railway in 1937. 
The basic design was used quite extensively on the LMSR, with also a few each on the LNER and GWR before and after the war: another 25 were built by the SR in 1949-52. They were the precursors to the fleet of 1,200 TOPS Class 08 locomotives built for BR up until 1962.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

No. 15202 was one of three pioneer 0-6-0 diesel-electric shunting locomotives built to Maunsell /English-Electric design for the Southern Railway in 1937. Note the two lower forward observation lights provided to improve the driver’s view during coupling /uncoupling.

The basic design was used quite extensively on the LMSR, with also a few each on the LNER and GWR before and after the war: another 25 were built by the SR under Bulleid in 1949-52. They were the precursors to the fleet of 1,200 TOPS Class 08 locomotives built for BR up until 1962.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

A train on the railway tracks

Description automatically generated

BR Standard 350 hp 0-6-0 diesel-electric shunter was a class built in large numbers from 1953-on, no. D3096 being outshopped in December 1954.

Just behind is an unidentified ex.SECR C-class steam locomotive.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Saturday 12th March 1960, Drewry 204hp 0-6-0 diesel-mechanical shunter no.1126 at Hither Green Depot; these being introduced in 1952-55. 
Just visible are two ex.SECR C-class steam locomotives.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Drewry 204hp 0-6-0 diesel-mechanical shunter no.1126 at Hither Green Depot; this class being introduced in 1952-55.

Just visible are two ex.SECR C-class steam locomotives.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

A train on the railway tracks

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Brand-new D6500 is the first of the BRCW (Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon) 1,550 hp Type 3 Bo-Bo's (later Class 33), is sparkling next to another (D6502) in Hither Green Shed.

Outside can be seen an SR steam 2-6-0 to be supplanted.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Bricklayer’s Arms

(73B)

30th April 1959

 

This large Locomotive Depot in the Bricklayer's Arms complex of Goods stations and yards on the mile-long branch off the main lines at the North Kent Junctions in Bermondsey still had in 1959 a substantial complement of steam engines. No.32539 is a class C2X 0-6-0 built as an R. Billinton C2 in November 1900, rebuilt in June 1924 and withdrawn in November 1961.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

This large Locomotive Depot in the Bricklayer's Arms complex of Goods stations and yards on the mile-long branch off the main lines at the North Kent Junctions in Bermondsey still had in 1959 a substantial complement of steam engines. No.32539 is a class C2X 0-6-0 built as an R. Billinton C2 in November 1900, rebuilt in June 1924 and withdrawn in November 1961.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

The prominent 2-6-0 is ‘Woolwich’ Maunsell N class no.31851. Ex. works 19th January 1925 as no.A851, it is seen here with tender no.3040. The locomotive was withdrawn on 25th August 1963.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

The prominent 2-6-0 is ‘Woolwich’ Maunsell N class no.31851. Ex. works 19th January 1925 as no.A851, it is seen here with tender no.3040. The locomotive was withdrawn on 25th August 1963.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

L. Billinton class E2 0-6-0T no. 32107 seems to be abandoned but was not actually condemned until February 1961, Built by the LBSCR in March 1916, like most of the other nine in the class, it had worked on shunting and station pilot duties in the London area.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

L. Billinton class E2 0-6-0T no. 32107 seems to be abandoned but was not actually condemned until February 1961, Built by the LBSCR in March 1916, like most of the other nine in the class, it had worked on shunting and station pilot duties in the London area.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Outside the former SER Shed is one of many 'foreign' (LMS-design) locomotives employed by the SR during the 20-odd years after World War Two, No. 41301 (built March 1952, withdrawn September 1966). This one would be used mainly for empty stock work to Charing Cross etc.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Outside the former SER Shed is one of many 'foreign' (LMS-design) locomotives employed by the SR during the 20-odd years after World War Two, No. 41301 (built March 1952, withdrawn September 1966). This one would be used mainly for empty stock work to Charing Cross etc.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

The Wainwright C-class was the standard 0-6-0 of the Eastern Section of the SR, amounting to 109 examples. No. 31071 was built as No. 71 in July 1901 and was withdrawn in September 1959.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

The Wainwright C-class was the standard 0-6-0 of the Eastern Section of the SR, amounting to 109 examples. No. 31071 was built as No. 71 in July 1901 and was withdrawn in September 1959.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

In the depths of the complex depot is R. Billinton E6 class 0-6-2T No. 32415 (built October 1905 as no.415, withdrawn September 1961). Most of the E6s worked from Bricklayer's Arms, on shunting and trip work.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

In the depths of the complex depot is R. Billinton E6 class 0-6-2T No. 32415 (built October 1905 as no.415, withdrawn September 1961). Most of the E6s worked from Bricklayer's Arms, on shunting and trip work.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

1st July 1959

 

The most numerous of Robert Billinton's several varieties of 0-6-2Ts were his E4 class. On the turntable at Bricklayer's Arms Depot No. 473 was built August 1898 and withdrawn as 32473 in October 1962. 
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

The most numerous of Robert Billinton's several varieties of 0-6-2Ts were his E4 class. On the turntable at Bricklayer's Arms Depot No. 473 was built August 1898 and withdrawn as 32473 in October 1962.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

 

Bricklayer’s Arms Goods

30th April 1959

 

Bricklayer's Arms Goods Depot – interior view south-east of one of the several loading-banks of the extensive Goods Depot and Locomotive Shed complex that constituted one of London's largest Railway Depots. 
It was at the west end of a branch from Bricklayer's Arms Junction and was the original terminus of the South Eastern Railway from 1st May 1844 to just eight years later. It was closed to passengers in January 1852 and to Goods over 125 years later on 1st August 1977.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Bricklayer's Arms Goods Depot – interior view south-east of one of the several loading-banks of the extensive Goods Depot and Locomotive Shed complex that constituted one of London's largest Railway Depots.

It was at the west end of a branch from Bricklayer's Arms Junction and was the original terminus of the South Eastern Railway from 1st May 1844 to just eight years later. It was closed to passengers in January 1852 and to Goods over 125 years later on 1st August 1977.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

In the days (1959) when the several Depots at Bricklayer's Arms were still very active, ex-LBSCR R. Billinton class E6 0-6-2T no.32418 (built December 1905, withdrawn December 1962) is shunting vans.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

In the days (1959) when the several Depots at Bricklayer's Arms were still very active, ex-LBSCR R. Billinton class E6 0-6-2T no.32418 (built December 1905, withdrawn December 1962) is shunting vans.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

North Kent West Junction

(Bricklayer’s Arms)

 

View westward, towards Bricklayer's Arms Depot; ex-SECR & LBSCR branch. The train is headed by SECR Maunsell N class 2-6-0 no. 1813 (built September 1920, withdrawn October 1963); here on 10th March 1948 it has not yet been renumbered 31813 but has 'British Railways' on the tender.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

View westward, towards Bricklayer's Arms Depot; ex-SECR & LBSCR branch. The train is headed by SECR Maunsell N class 2-6-0 no. 1813 (built September 1920, withdrawn October 1963); here on 10th March 1948 it has not yet been renumbered 31813 but has 'British Railways' on the tender.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

View north-east, no.77311 was another of the 900+ WD 2-8-0s built for the War Department and sent to Europe after the OVERLORD operation returning 2- 3 years after the Allies' victory. During the first few months after their return many worked briefly on the Southern.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

View north-east on 31st December 1948, no.77311 was one of the 900+ WD 2-8-0s built for the War Department and sent to Europe after the OVERLORD operation returning 2- 3 years after the Allies' victory. During the first few months after their return many worked briefly on the SR.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Ex-LBSCR R.J. Billinton E4 class 0-6-2T no. 473 'Birch Grove' shunting near North Kent West Junction during its BR days as no. 32473. Built in June 1898, after withdrawal in October 1962 it entered into preservation.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Ex-LBSCR R.J. Billinton E4 class 0-6-2T no. 473 'Birch Grove' shunting near North Kent West Junction during its BR days as no. 32473. Built in June 1898, after withdrawal in October 1962 it entered into preservation.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

A train on the railway tracks

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

On an unusually fine January day I was fortunate to be able to photograph Maunsell class V 'Schools' 4-4-0 No. 30925 in apparently fresh ex-Works condition near North Kent West Junction, running light off Bricklayers Arms Depot up to Charing Cross or Cannon Street to work a down express, probably to Hastings[29th January 1953].

Ex. works in April 1934, no.30923 ‘Cheltenham’ was outshopped in BR Green livery 23rd January 1960. After withdrawal in December 1962, it entered into preservation.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

No.32449 was an R. Billinton C2 class 0-6-0 built October 1894, rebuilt by Marsh as a C2x in January 1912 and withdrawn June 1961. It is standing on the Bricklayers Arms branch at North Kent West Junction.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

No.32449 was an R. Billinton C2 class 0-6-0 built October 1894, rebuilt by Marsh as a C2x in January 1912 and withdrawn June 1961. On 9th July 1958 it is standing on the Bricklayers Arms branch at North Kent West Junction.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Coming off the Bricklayer's Arms branch on 9th July 1958 is rebuilt Bulleid light Pacific no. 34004 'Yeovil' (built July 1945 as No. 21C104 'Yeovil', renumbered May 1948, rebuilt February 1958 & withdrawn October 1966). The bridge behind carries the South London line.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Coming off the Bricklayer's Arms branch on 9th July 1958 is rebuilt Bulleid light Pacific no. 34004 'Yeovil' (built July 1945 as No. 21C104 'Yeovil', renumbered May 1948, rebuilt February 1958 & withdrawn October 1966). The bridge behind carries the South London line.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

On 9th July 1958 ex-LBSCR L. Billinton K class 2-6-0 no. 32348 (built December 1920, withdrawn November 1962) has come from North Kent West Junction under the bridges carrying the South London line and the main line up from Norwood Junction, Croydon and the Coast.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

On 9th July 1958 ex-LBSCR L. Billinton K class 2-6-0 no. 32348 (built December 1920, withdrawn November 1962) has come from North Kent West Junction under the bridges carrying the South London line and the main line up from Norwood Junction, Croydon and the Coast.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Rotherhithe Road

(North Kent West Junction)

 

View northward near North Kent West Junction and Rotherhithe Road Carriage Sidings on 9th July 1958. No.34012 'Launceston' was built October 1945 as no. 21C112, rebuilt January 1958 & withdrawn December 1966.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

View northward near North Kent West Junction and Rotherhithe Road Carriage Sidings on 9th July 1958. No.34012 'Launceston' was built October 1945 as no. 21C112, rebuilt January 1958 & withdrawn December 1966.

Today this location of this photograph is unrecognisable.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Stewarts Lane Depot

(73A)

 

The unique 0-6-0T Shed pilot at Stewarts Lane Locomotive Depot on 7th April 1951. Ex-Plymouth, Devonport & SW Junction no.756 'A.S.Harris' was built by Hawthorn, Leslie in December 1907. After its home line was absorbed into the LSWR in 1922 it spent most of its life as a shed-pilot all over the SR system until withdrawn in October 1951. 
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

The unique 0-6-0T Shed pilot at Stewarts Lane Locomotive Depot on 7th April 1951. Ex-Plymouth, Devonport & SW Junction no.756 'A.S.Harris' was built by Hawthorn, Leslie in December 1907. After its home line was absorbed into the LSWR in 1922 it spent most of its life as a shed-pilot all over the SR system until withdrawn in October 1951.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

One of three ex-Plymouth, Devonport & SW Junction Railway 0-6-2Ts, No. 756 is under the coaling plant at the large Stewarts Lane motive-power depot on 7th April 1951. One of just three built in December 1907 for working the Bere Alston - Callington branch of the PDSWJ until 1926-29 (long after the PDSWJR was acquired by the LSWR and then the SR). 
In June 1929 'A.S.Harris' was replaced by O2-class 0-4-4Ts. It was sent east for mundane duties, being switched from depot to depot throughout the SR system as odd-job engine at many different places: Stewarts Lane was the last and from there it was sent to Eastleigh in August 1951 & scrapped.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

One of three ex-Plymouth, Devonport & SW Junction Railway 0-6-2Ts, no.756 is under the coaling plant at the large Stewarts Lane motive-power depot on 7th April 1951. One of just three built in December 1907 for working the Bere Alston - Callington branch of the PDSWJ until 1926-29 (long after the PDSWJR was acquired by the LSWR and then the SR).

In June 1929 'A.S.Harris' was replaced by O2-class 0-4-4Ts. It was sent east for mundane duties, being switched from depot to depot throughout the SR system as odd-job engine at many different places: Stewarts Lane was the last and from there it was sent to Eastleigh in August 1951 & scrapped.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Stewarts Lane 7th April 1951 view of No. 756 'A.S. Harris' at the coaling stage.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Another 7th April 1951 view of No. 756 'A.S. Harris' at the coaling stage.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Ex-SECR P-class on the milk shunt at Stewarts Lane Depot 7th April 1951. No.31558 was built June 1910, withdrawn February 1960. “There hardly seems room for two men in the cab - one of whom is waving to me”.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Ex-SECR P-class on the milk shunt at Stewarts Lane Depot 7th April 1951. No.31558 was built June 1910, withdrawn February 1960. “There hardly seems room for two men in the cab - one of whom is waving to me”.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

15th February 1958 and Maunsell W-class 2-6-4T no. 31921 (built October 1935, withdrawn June 1963) was one of a class of fifteen used almost exclusively on freight workings between London Yards.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

15th February 1958 and Maunsell W-class 2-6-4T no. 31921 (built October 1935, withdrawn June 1963) was one of a class of fifteen used almost exclusively on freight workings between London Yards.

After Battersea Park (ex-LBSCR) Depot was closed in 1934, the major ex-LCDR Depot at Stewarts Lane served main-line passenger services from both Eastern and Central sections at Victoria, as well as freight traffic on lines radiating from London to Kent and Sussex.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Normally employed as a Station Pilot at Victoria, on 7th April 1951 L.B. Billinton’s E2-class no.32104 is out of use at the back of the shed at Stewarts Lance. Built in January 1914 it was withdrawn in April 1963.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Normally employed as a Station Pilot at Victoria, on 7th April 1951 L.B. Billinton’s E2-class no.32104 is out of use at the back of the shed at Stewarts Lance. Built in January 1914 it was withdrawn in April 1963.

In 1951 (BR code 73A) Stewarts Lane allocation was still large (99 locomotives) and varied, comprising: 22 4-6-2, 12 4-6-0, 5 4-4-0, 21 2-6-0, 13 0-6-0, 5 2-6-4T (2 SR, 3 LMS-type), 10 0-6-0T & 11 0-4-4T.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Photographed at Stewarts Lane on 7th April 1951, no.31905 is a Maunsell U1-class (three-cylinder) built August 1931 and withdrawn December 1962. The U1s were a more powerful version of the U-class, normally employed on general passenger work (including Specials).
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Photographed at Stewarts Lane on 7th April 1951, no.31905 is a Maunsell U1-class (three-cylinder) built August 1931 and withdrawn December 1962. The U1s were a more powerful version of the U-class, normally employed on general passenger work (including Specials).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Tuesday, 25th February 1958 RCTS visit to Stewarts Lane Locomotive Depot and ex-SECR Wainwright H-class no. 31265 (built May 1905, withdrawn August 1960) is beside another of the same class (employed mainly on empty stock work to Victoria). Beyond is a BR Standard 4MT.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Saturday, 15th February 1958 RCTS visit to Stewarts Lane Locomotive Depot and ex-SECR Wainwright H-class no. 31265 (built May 1905, withdrawn August 1960) is beside another of the same class (employed mainly on empty stock work to Victoria). Beyond is a BR Standard 4MT.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Line-up of locomotives at Stewarts Lane Locomotive Depot for an RCTS visit on Saturday, 15th February 1958 
Looking north out of the main 16-road terminal Shed on the left is Maunsell V-class 'Schools' no.30919 'Harrow' (built June 1933, fitted with Lemaitre chimney February 1941, withdrawn January 1961).
In the centre is air-smoothed Bulleid Light Pacific no. 34091 'Weymouth' (built September 1949, withdrawn September 1964) and far right is no. 34097 'Holsworthy' (built November 1949, rebuilt later – March 1961, withdrawn April 1967).
In between the Southern locomotives are two BR Standard 5MT no.73088 (built September 1955, withdrawn October 1966) and 73083 (built July 1955, withdrawn September 1966).
Subsequently (in 1959-61) these respectively acquired names 'Joyous Gard' and 'Pendragon' from former Urie 'King Arthur' N15-class locomotives.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Line-up of locomotives at Stewarts Lane Locomotive Depot for an RCTS visit on Saturday, 15th February 1958

Looking north out of the main 16-road terminal Shed on the left is Maunsell V-class 'Schools' no.30919 'Harrow' (built June 1933, fitted with Lemaitre chimney February 1941, withdrawn January 1961).

In the centre is air-smoothed Bulleid Light Pacific no. 34091 'Weymouth' (built September 1949, withdrawn September 1964) and far right is no. 34097 'Holsworthy' (built November 1949, rebuilt later – March 1961, withdrawn April 1967).

In between the Southern locomotives are two BR Standard 5MT no.73088 (built September 1955, withdrawn October 1966) and 73083 (built July 1955, withdrawn September 1966).

Subsequently (in 1959-61) these respectively acquired names 'Joyous Gard' and 'Pendragon' from former Urie 'King Arthur' N15-class locomotives.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Transfer freight from Battersea Yard to Brent Sidings (Cricklewood) passing Stewarts Lane (alongside the big Harrods furniture repository) on 15th February 1958. The freight is hauled by an LMS-type Ivatt 4MT no.43121 (built August 1951, withdrawn November 1967); on the right is an unidentified ex-SECR C-class locomotive.
View is northward, from Stewarts Lane Locomotive Yard (the Depot is behind photographer) in the complex of SR lines near Queens Road (Battersea) station. The bridge carries the South London line (Victoria - London Bridge), Wandsworth Road being the next station off to the right.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Transfer freight from Battersea Yard to Brent Sidings (Cricklewood) passing Stewarts Lane (alongside the big Harrods furniture repository) on 15th February 1958. The freight is hauled by an LMS-type Ivatt 4MT no.43121 (built August 1951, withdrawn November 1967); on the right is an unidentified ex-SECR C-class locomotive.

View is northward, from Stewarts Lane Locomotive Yard (the Depot is behind photographer) in the complex of SR lines near Queens Road (Battersea) station. The bridge carries the South London line (Victoria - London Bridge), Wandsworth Road being the next station off to the right.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Norwood Locomotive Depot

(75C)

 

Serving Norwood Marshalling Yard, Norwood Depot was situated on the east side of the main line north of Norwood Junction station, with the single-track Down Crystal Palace Spur from Clapham Junction (via Crystal Palace and Bromley Junction) curving round on the right. 
In November 1954 the depot (BR code 75C) had an allocation of 33 steam locomotives (17 0-6-0, 4 2-6-4T, 12 0-6-2T) and 14 Diesels (1 main-line, 13 shunters), most of which remained in early 1960. The 'civilians' wandering around are on an RCTS visit on Saturday, 12th March 1960.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Serving Norwood Marshalling Yard, Norwood Depot was situated on the east side of the main line north of Norwood Junction station, with the single-track Down Crystal Palace Spur from Clapham Junction (via Crystal Palace and Bromley Junction) curving round on the right.

In November 1954 the depot (BR code 75C) had an allocation of 33 steam locomotives (17 0-6-0, 4 2-6-4T, 12 0-6-2T) and 14 Diesels (1 main-line, 13 shunters), most of which remained in early 1960. The 'civilians' wandering around are on an RCTS visit on Saturday, 12th March 1960.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Maunsell's W-class of fifteen 2-6-4T locomotives were designed specifically for the heavy freight in London between the SR Goods Yards and those of the other three (GWR, LMSR and LNER); they very rarely went further afield. On 12th March 1960 no.31918 (built June 1935, withdrawn August 1963) was one of Norwood Depot's allocation of five.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Maunsell's W-class of fifteen 2-6-4T locomotives were designed specifically for the heavy freight in London between the SR Goods Yards and those of the other three (GWR, LMSR and LNER); they very rarely went further afield. On 12th March 1960 no.31918 (built June 1935, withdrawn August 1963) was one of Norwood Depot's allocation of five.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Maunsell Q-class no.30537 as fitted with Lemaitre blast-pipe and chimney c.1946-9. Outshopped from Eastleigh Works as no.537 in October 1938 this locomotive was withdrawn in January 1962.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

On 12th March 1960 Maunsell Q-class no.30537 as fitted with Lemaitre blast-pipe and chimney c.1946-9. Outshopped from Eastleigh Works as no.537 in October 1938 this locomotive was withdrawn in January 1962.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

On 12th March 1960 cautiously moves northwards towards W-class no.31918. R. Billinton’s no.32547 was one of the few C2X-class that did not have a double-dome boiler. Built as C2 No. 547 in January 1902, rebuilt October 1908, it survived until November 1961.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

On 12th March 1960 cautiously moves northwards towards W-class no.31918. R. Billinton’s no.32547 was one of the few C2X-class that did not have a double-dome boiler. Built as C2 No. 547 in January 1902, rebuilt October 1908, it survived until November 1961.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

With the branch from Crystal Palace (Low Level) just visible behind the locomotive, on 2nd April 1958 no. 32413 (R. Billinton E6 class, built July 1905 as 'Fenchurch') looks in good condition even though it was withdrawn in November 1958.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

With the branch from Crystal Palace (Low Level) just visible behind the locomotive, on 2nd April 1958 no. 32413 (R. Billinton E6 class, built July 1905 as 'Fenchurch') looks in good condition even though it was withdrawn in November 1958.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Norwood Locomotive Depot was located just beyond Goathouse Road skew bridge in the distance. On 2nd April 1958 Maunsell N-class no.31825 (built December 1923, withdrawn October 1963) hauls a coal train on the Down Slow line through Norwood Junction station. The disc-code indicates that it had come from Hither Green Sidings (which was a long way round)!
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Norwood Locomotive Depot was located just beyond Goathouse Road skew bridge in the distance. On 2nd April 1958 Maunsell N-class no.31825 (built December 1923, withdrawn October 1963) hauls a coal train on the Down Slow line through Norwood Junction station. The disc-code indicates that it had come from Hither Green Sidings (which was a long way round)!

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

View South from Tennyson Road bridge on 2nd April 1958. The Down and Up Norwood marshalling yards are on each side and the Norwood Loop round to Selhurst is on the right behind the Up goods train, which is headed by E6 no. 32413.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

View South from Tennyson Road bridge on 2nd April 1958. The Down and Up Norwood marshalling yards are on each side and the Norwood Loop round to Selhurst is on the right behind the Up goods train, which is headed by E6 no. 32413.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Three Bridges Depot

(75E)

 

With ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ on its sides ex-LBSCR R. Billinton E5-class no.32585 (Three Bridges 11th December 1948) was built as no.585 'Crowborough' in November 1903 and withdrawn in May 1954.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

With ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ on its sides ex-LBSCR R. Billinton E5-class no.32585 (Three Bridges 11th December 1948) was built as no.585 'Crowborough' in November 1903 and withdrawn in May 1954.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

'Large Vulcan' C2X no.32532 at Three Bridges on 11th December 1948.
Distinguished by their double domes and built by the Vulcan Foundry, the ex.LBSCR C2X-class were reboilered R. Billinton C2-class. No.32532 was built as C2 no. 532 October 1900, rebuilt July 1911, withdrawn May 1960. 
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

'Large Vulcan' C2X no.32532 at Three Bridges on 11th December 1948.

Distinguished by their double domes and built by the Vulcan Foundry, the ex.LBSCR C2X-class were reboilered R. Billinton C2-class. No.32532 was built as C2 no. 532 October 1900, rebuilt July 1911, withdrawn May 1960.

After electrification of the main lines, Three Bridges Depot remained primarily for freight traffic and in 1949 had an allocation of thirty-four locomotives comprising: 6 2-6-0, 13 0-6-0, 5 4-4-2T and 10 0-6-2T.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Three Bridges Locomotive Depot on a wintry Saturday, 11th December 1948   afternoon with ex-LBSCR Marsh C3-class no.32303 (built June 1906, withdrawn September 1951).
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Three Bridges Locomotive Depot on a wintry Saturday, 11th December 1948 afternoon with ex-LBSCR Marsh C3-class no.32303 (built June 1906, withdrawn September 1951).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

With ‘SOUTHERN’ on its tender at Three Bridges on 11th December 1948, no.2436 was almost the last LB&SC L. Billinton C2-class not rebuilt to C2X. Built May 1893 it was withdrawn as no.32436 in January 1950.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

With ‘SOUTHERN’ on its tender at Three Bridges on 11th December 1948, no.2436 was almost the last LB&SC L. Billinton C2-class not rebuilt to C2X. Built May 1893 it was withdrawn as no.32436 in January 1950.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Newhaven Depot

(Sub-shed of 75A)

 

No.32670 at Newhaven Locomotive Depot on Sunday, 7th October 1962.
Fitted with a spark-arrestor for work in the Docks, No. 32670 the last of the celebrated 'Terriers', had a long history. Built by Stroudley as A1 class no. 70 'Bodiam' in December 1872, it was sold to the Kent & East Sussex Railway in 1901 to become their no.3. 
Withdrawn in 1931 it returned to service on the SR in 1933, rebuilt to A1X in 1943, withdrawn by BR in November 1963 as 32670 only to be acquired by the ‘new’ Kent & East Sussex Railway as no. 3 'Bodiam'.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

No.32670 at Newhaven Locomotive Depot on Sunday, 7th October 1962.

Fitted with a spark-arrestor for work in the Docks, No. 32670 the last of the celebrated 'Terriers', had a long history. Built by Stroudley as A1 class no. 70 'Bodiam' in December 1872, it was sold to the Kent & East Sussex Railway in 1901 to become their no.3.

Withdrawn in 1931 it returned to service on the SR in 1933, rebuilt to A1X in 1943, withdrawn by BR in November 1963 as 32670 only to be acquired by the ‘new’ Kent & East Sussex Railway as no. 3 'Bodiam'.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Newhaven Locomotive Depot Sunday, 7th October 1962.
“Enthusiasts off the RCTS Sussex Rail Tour mill round the Locomotive Yard and watch the two ex-LBSCR engines which worked our Special from Lewes to Seaford and back to Brighton”.
No. 32636, a Marsh A1X rebuild (1913) of Stroudley A1 class Terrier no.72 'Fenchurch' of September 1872, which belonged to the Newhaven Harbour Co. 1898-1926, thence SR no.B636, 2636 and BR no.32636. Withdrawn in November 1963 it is preserved by the Bluebell Railway as no. 72 'Fenchurch'.
Behind is R. Billinton E6 class no.32418, built December 1905, withdrawn December 1962. 
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Newhaven Locomotive Depot Sunday, 7th October 1962.

Enthusiasts off the RCTS Sussex Rail Tour mill round the Locomotive Yard and watch the two ex-LBSCR engines which worked our Special from Lewes to Seaford and back to Brighton”.

No. 32636, a Marsh A1X rebuild (1913) of Stroudley A1 class Terrier no.72 'Fenchurch' of September 1872, which belonged to the Newhaven Harbour Co. 1898-1926, thence SR no.B636, 2636 and BR no.32636. Withdrawn in November 1963 it is preserved by the Bluebell Railway as no. 72 'Fenchurch'.

Behind is R. Billinton E6 class no.32418, built December 1905, withdrawn December 1962.

Newhaven Locomotive Depot was a sub-depot of Brighton (BR code 75A) and (in November 1954) had an allocation of thirteen locomotives comprising: 3 4-4-2, 2 0-6-0, 5 0-6-2T and 3 0-6-0T.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Sunday, 7th October 1962 at Newhaven Locomotive Depot with ex-LBSCR is R. Billinton E4-class no.32503. Built as no. 503 'Buckland' in August 1900 it was withdrawn in April 1963.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Sunday, 7th October 1962 at Newhaven Locomotive Depot with ex-LBSCR is R. Billinton E4-class no.32503. Built as no. 503 'Buckland' in August 1900 it was withdrawn in April 1963.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Sunday, 7th October 1962 and The Railway Correspondence & Travel Society 'Sussex Rail Tour' train, with its A1X no. 32636 & E6 no.32418 hauling ex-’Man of Kent’ Mk1 set 279, is pulling into Newhaven Town station to pick up the tour passengers after they had visited the Shed.
© Ben Brooksbank (Geograph/CC-by-SA)

Sunday, 7th October 1962 and The Railway Correspondence & Travel Society 'Sussex Rail Tour' train, with its A1X no. 32636 & E6 no.32418 hauling ex-’Man of Kent’ Mk1 set 279, is pulling into Newhaven Town station to pick up the tour passengers after they had visited the Shed.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

 

Copyright Bloodandcustard

Photographic copyright Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Home

 

Contact