BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard

 

© BloodandCustard

Southern Region

SWD Depots

South Western Division

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Ex-LSWR Drummond M7 class no. 30245 (built April 1897, withdrawn November 1962 but preserved in the National Collection at York) is seen in the yard of this large and famous Depot, which served the passenger trains from Waterloo and freight trains from Nine Elms Goods. It adjoined the latter to the south of the main lines, south of Vauxhall. In the 1950s the Depot had an allocation of nearly 100 steam locomotives of all types and it remained active until the end of steam working into Waterloo in July 1967, after which the New Covent Garden Market was built over the site.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Ex-LSWR Drummond M7 class no. 30245 (built April 1897, withdrawn November 1962 but preserved in the National Collection at York) is seen in the yard of this large and famous Depot, which served the passenger trains from Waterloo and freight trains from Nine Elms Goods. It adjoined the latter to the south of the main lines, south of Vauxhall. In the 1950s the Depot had an allocation of nearly 100 steam locomotives of all types and it remained active until the end of steam working into Waterloo in July 1967, after which the New Covent Garden Market was built over the site.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

Ben Brooksbank

In researching photographs for BloodandCustard webpages many excellent the photographs taken by the late Ben Brooksbank emerged of the Geograph website including these taken at South Westerm Division Depots of the Southern Region.

Ben granted permission to use these photographs under the Creative Commons licence. Sadly, those of us here at BloodandCustard never got to meet Ben (sadly he passed in 2018). However, this page is dedicated in gratitude towards both Ben and his foresight to take these photographs which form part of an important historical record.

 

 

Nine Elms

(70A)

1st March 1947

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Wintry scene in Nine Elms Locomotive Yard, with ex-LSWR Drummond L11 class no.437 (built December 1906, withdrawn April 1952) was latterly used for 'odd jobs' - local goods etc. 
Nine Elms Depot was hidden from the main lines out of Waterloo on the Down (east) side south of Vauxhall. It lasted until the End of Steam, being closed on 9the July 1967, then soon demolished and replaced by the New Covent Garden Market. But in 1946 it had an allocation of 107 steam locomotives - 10 off 4-6-2, 37 off 4-6-0, 17 off 4-4-0, 5 off 2-6-0, 5 off 0-6-0, 1 off 0-8-0T, 10 off 0-6-0T, 19 off 0-4-4T and 3 off 0-4-2T, a motley collection of 18 different classes.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Wintry scene in Nine Elms Locomotive Yard, with ex-LSWR Drummond L11 class no.437 (built December 1906, withdrawn April 1952) was latterly used for 'odd jobs' - local goods etc.

Nine Elms Depot was hidden from the main lines out of Waterloo on the Down (east) side south of Vauxhall. It lasted until the End of Steam, being closed on 9the July 1967, then soon demolished and replaced by the New Covent Garden Market. However, in 1946 it had an allocation of 107 steam locomotives - 10 off 4-6-2, 37 off 4-6-0, 17 off 4-4-0, 5 off 2-6-0, 5 off 0-6-0, 1 off 0-8-0T, 10 off 0-6-0T, 19 off 0-4-4T and 3 off 0-4-2T, a motley collection of 18 different classes.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Near the turntable, no.1696 is one of the few Chatham line (pre-1899) locomotives ex-SECR remaining on the SR after the Second World War and then for a short time after Nationalization. The Kirtley LCDR R1 class, no.696 being the first in November 1900, were all built after their designer retired following the 1899 amalgamation with the SECR; it duly became no.A696 after Grouping and no.1696 in 1931. However, was withdrawn under BR in March 1951 before receiving a BR number. From Nine Elms it worked the same duties as its few H and numerous M7 0-4-4T companions. 
“I took this rather inferior photograph with my first cheap camera in poor weather”.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Near the turntable, no.1696 is one of the few Chatham line (pre-1899) locomotives ex-SECR remaining on the SR after the Second World War and then for a short time after Nationalization. The Kirtley LCDR R1 class, no.696 being the first in November 1900, were all built after their designer retired following the 1899 amalgamation with the SECR; it duly became no.A696 after Grouping and no.1696 in 1931. However, was withdrawn under BR in March 1951 before receiving a BR number. From Nine Elms it worked the same duties as its few H and numerous M7 0-4-4T companions.

“I took this rather inferior photograph with my first cheap camera in poor weather”.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
The turntable was at the far end of the Yard, the whole Depot being curiously arranged with 'its back towards' the main line from Waterloo. No.459 was a Drummond T14 class 'Paddlebox' 4-6-0 (built June 1912, withdrawn November 1948).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

The turntable was at the far end of the Yard, the whole Depot being curiously arranged with 'its back towards' the main line from Waterloo. No.459 was a Drummond T14 class 'Paddlebox' 4-6-0 (built June 1912, withdrawn November 1948).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

7th March 1951

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
A striking view of a Drummond L11 class in its declining years. No.30406 was built September 1906 and withdrawn May 1951 - two months after this.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

A striking view of a Drummond L11 class in its declining years. No.30406 was built September 1906 and withdrawn May 1951 - two months after this.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

15th February 1958

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Outside the main shed is SR Maunsell 'King Arthur' class N15 no.30763 'Sir Bors de Ganis'. This was the first of the Maunsell improvements of the Urie 'Arthurs' ordered from North British Locomotive Co. in 1925 and given the names of the lesser-known Knights of the Round Table.
The N15 locomotives became the principal class of 4-6-0s for SR express work between the Wars. No.30763 was built May 1925 and withdrawn October 1960.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Outside the main shed is SR Maunsell 'King Arthur' class N15 no.30763 'Sir Bors de Ganis'. This was the first of the Maunsell improvements of the Urie 'Arthurs' ordered from North British Locomotive Co. in 1925 and given the names of the lesser-known Knights of the Round Table.

The N15 locomotives became the principal class of 4-6-0s for SR express work between the Wars. No.30763 was built May 1925 and withdrawn October 1960.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Nine Elms Locomotive Depot Yard, south-east of the Shed. The LSWR Drummond T9 class 'Greyhounds' were principal express locomotives before World War I. However, remained active and useful on secondary services well into the 1950s. 
No.30338 was built October 1901, withdrawn April 1961.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Nine Elms Locomotive Depot Yard, south-east of the Shed. The LSWR Drummond T9 class 'Greyhounds' were principal express locomotives before World War I. However, remained active and useful on secondary services well into the 1950s.

No.30338 was built October 1901, withdrawn April 1961.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
SR rebuilt Bulleid 'Merchant Navy' Pacific no.35023 'Holland-Afrika Line' was built November 1948, rebuilt February 1957 and withdrawn July 1967.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

SR rebuilt Bulleid 'Merchant Navy' Pacific no.35023 'Holland-Afrika Line' was built November 1948, rebuilt February 1957 and withdrawn July 1967.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Feltham

(70B)

27th September 1947

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
On 27th September 1947 pre-Nationalisation portrait of Drummond M7 class no.25 (built February 1899, withdrawn as no. 30025 in May 1964). It was one of the few on the allocation of Feltham Depot, which was primarily for freight motive power.
In 1947 Feltham had an allocation of 96 locomotives comprising 37 off 4-6-0, 10 off 4-4-0, 5 off 2-8-0 (ex-WD), 35 off 0-6-0, 4 off 4-8-0T and 5 off 0-4-4T types.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

On 27th September 1947 pre-Nationalisation portrait of Drummond M7 class no.25 (built February 1899, withdrawn as no. 30025 in May 1964). It was one of the few on the allocation of Feltham Depot, which was primarily for freight motive power.

In 1947 Feltham had an allocation of 96 locomotives comprising 37 off 4-6-0, 10 off 4-4-0, 5 off 2-8-0 (ex-WD), 35 off 0-6-0, 4 off 4-8-0T and 5 off 0-4-4T types.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Outside the main Shed on 27th September 1947 are two of the later (Maunsell) S15 class locomotives, used for many of the main-line freight workings from Feltham Yard. The front one is no.834 (built November 1927, withdrawn November 1964), behind is no.837 (built January 1928, withdrawn September 1965).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Outside the main Shed on 27th September 1947 are two of the later (Maunsell) S15 class locomotives, used for many of the main-line freight workings from Feltham Yard. The front one is no.834 (built November 1927, withdrawn November 1964), behind is no.837 (built January 1928, withdrawn September 1965).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Southern Railway normally managed with much fewer 0-6-0 goods locomotives, the principal class on the South Western Section being the Drummond '700' class 0-6-0. Here, on 27th September 1947, is no.698 (built in April 1897, withdrawn May 1962).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Southern Railway normally managed with much fewer 0-6-0 goods locomotives, the principal class on the South Western Section being the Drummond '700' class 0-6-0. Here, on 27th September 1947, is no.698 (built in April 1897, withdrawn May 1962).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Drummond class K10 no.139 was designated 'mixed-traffic' but more often used for local goods (built Nine Elms October 1902, photographed 27th September 1947 and withdrawn September 1948). Nick-named ‘Small Hoppers’, the K10 boiler was interchangeable with the M7, 700 & C8 classes.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Drummond class K10 no.139 was designated 'mixed-traffic' but more often used for local goods (built Nine Elms October 1902, photographed 27th September 1947 and withdrawn September 1948). Nick-named ‘Small Hoppers’, the K10 boiler was interchangeable with the M7, 700 & C8 classes.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
On 27th September 1947, no.3167 was an ex-LSWR Adams '0395' class, built in May 1883 but lasting until December 1956 - latterly on light duties. Of a large class, it was one of the few not sent abroad during World War I.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

On 27th September 1947, no.3167 was an ex-LSWR Adams '0395' class, built in May 1883 but lasting until December 1956 - latterly on light duties. Of a large class, it was one of the few not sent abroad during World War I.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
In the Locomotive Yard at Feltham, one of the variety of locomotives was a modern (wartime) example of Bulleid's SR Q1 no.C37, built December 1942 and photographed on 27th September 1947. After nationalization it became the more conventionally (BR) numbered no.30037 and survived until October 1963.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

In the Locomotive Yard at Feltham, one of the variety of locomotives was a modern (wartime) example of Bulleid's SR Q1 no.C37, built December 1942 and photographed on 27th September 1947. After nationalization it became the more conventionally (BR) numbered no.30037 and survived until October 1963.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

11th May 1959

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Photographed 11th May 1959, ex-LSWR Drummond '700' class no.30355 was built June 1897 and withdrawn February 1961.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Photographed 11th May 1959, ex-LSWR Drummond '700' class no.30355 was built June 1897 and withdrawn February 1961.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Ex-LBSCR R. Billinton C2X class no.32438 (built as a C2 April 1893, rebuilt as C2X February 1924, withdrawn December 1961) rests in the Feltham Locomotive Depot yard on 11th May 1959.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Ex-LBSCR R. Billinton C2X class no.32438 (built as a C2 April 1893, rebuilt as C2X February 1924, withdrawn December 1961) rests in the Feltham Locomotive Depot yard on 11th May 1959.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Ex-LSWR Adams class O2 no.30179 was built March 1890 and withdrawn December 1959. Normally employed on branch lines (notably in the Isle of Wight) this one at Feltham was used just for 'odd jobs', no doubt (11th May 1959).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Ex-LSWR Adams class O2 no.30179 was built March 1890 and withdrawn December 1959. Normally employed on branch lines (notably in the Isle of Wight) this one at Feltham was used just for 'odd jobs', no doubt (11th May 1959).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Adams '395' class no.30567 at Feltham Locomotive Depot on 11th May 1959, which was built as no.154 in March 1883, later Duplicate no.0154, SR no.3154, then BR no.30567 and survived until September 1959.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Adams '395' class no.30567 at Feltham Locomotive Depot on 11th May 1959, which was built as no.154 in March 1883, later Duplicate no.0154, SR no.3154, then BR no.30567 and survived until September 1959.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
11th May 1959 and no.33016 is one of the strange-looking but powerful Q1 class locomotives introduced by Bulleid in 1942 under wartime austerity for freight traffic, being built as no.C16 in November 1942 and lasting until August 1963.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

11th May 1959 and no.33016 is one of the strange-looking but powerful Q1 class locomotives introduced by Bulleid in 1942 under wartime austerity for freight traffic, being built as no.C16 in November 1942 and lasting until August 1963.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Feltham

(Marshalling Yard)

1958 & 1959

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Feltham Marshalling Yard looking east along the 'Windsor Lines’ towards Clapham Junction. One of the largest marshalling yards in the country, Feltham was purpose-built by the LSWR in 1921-22 to handle almost all the freight traffic to and through London on the Southern Railway Western Section - about 5,500 wagons per day. 
On 1st April 1958 locomotive no.30493 (built July 1921, withdrawn December 1959), was one of the Urie G16 class of four 4-8-0Ts specially built for shunting over the humps of the Feltham Up and Down Yards: it is working the Down Yard and passing Feltham East Box, the main line being on the left and the Up Reception lines next to it. All this was completely swept away by January 1969 and is now a Nature Reserve.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Feltham Marshalling Yard looking east along the 'Windsor Lines’ towards Clapham Junction. One of the largest marshalling yards in the country, Feltham was purpose-built by the LSWR in 1921-22 to handle almost all the freight traffic to and through London on the Southern Railway Western Section - about 5,500 wagons per day.

On 1st April 1958 locomotive no.30493 (built July 1921, withdrawn December 1959), was one of the Urie G16 class of four 4-8-0Ts specially built for shunting over the humps of the Feltham Up and Down Yards: it is working the Down Yard and passing Feltham East Box, the main line being on the left and the Up Reception lines next to it. All this was completely swept away by January 1969 and is now a Nature Reserve.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Up freight approaching Feltham Marshalling Yard on 1st April 1958, having passed through Feltham station on the ‘Windsor Lines’ to Clapham Junction. The locomotive is Maunsell class S15 no.30839 (built May 1936, withdrawn September 1965).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Up freight approaching Feltham Marshalling Yard on 1st April 1958, having passed through Feltham station on the ‘Windsor Lines’ to Clapham Junction. The locomotive is Maunsell class S15 no.30839 (built May 1936, withdrawn September 1965).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Seen somewhere in this great Marshalling Yard (built 1922, swept away 1969) on 11th May 1959 no. 30494 (built August 1921, withdrawn December 1962) is one just four Urie G16 class 4-8-0Ts designed especially for this Yard. 
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Seen somewhere in this great Marshalling Yard (built 1922, swept away 1969) on 11th May 1959 no. 30494 (built August 1921, withdrawn December 1962) is one just four Urie G16 class 4-8-0Ts designed especially for this Yard.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Woking

(Yard)

30th July 1955

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Shunting in the extensive yards west of Woking station, ex-LSWR Adams no.30580 was built as no.506 in December 1885, becoming no.0506 then SR no.3506 and finally BR no.30580, to be withdrawn in April 1957.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Shunting in the extensive yards west of Woking station, ex-LSWR Adams no.30580 was built as no.506 in December 1885, becoming no.0506 then SR no.3506 and finally BR no.30580, to be withdrawn in April 1957.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Guildford

(70C)

8th June 1964

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Seen from the south end of Guildford station Maunsell S15 class no.30838 was built May 1936 and withdrawn September 1965.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Seen from the south end of Guildford station Maunsell S15 class no.30838 was built May 1936 and withdrawn September 1965.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

5th June 1965

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
From the Farnham Road bridge (with Chalk Tunnel being off to the left) the cramped, unusual roundhouse has few occupants on Saturday, 5th June 1965. 
The locomotive on the centre right is SR (ex-SECR) Maunsell N class no.31816 (built December 1921, withdrawn January 1966).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

From the Farnham Road bridge (with Chalk Tunnel being off to the left) the cramped, unusual roundhouse has few occupants on Saturday, 5th June 1965.

The locomotive on the centre right is SR (ex-SECR) Maunsell N class no.31816 (built December 1921, withdrawn January 1966).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Guildford

(Station)

1st April 1958

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
From the Farnham Road bridge of the southern end of Guildford station. In the foreground is ex-LSWR Drummond '700' class no.30700 (built May 1897, withdrawn November 1962); in the centre is a 1938-built 4 COR electric multiple unit at the rear of an Up Portsmouth - Waterloo service; beyond is SR Bulleid wartime Q1 class no.33019 (built May 1942 as no.C19, withdrawn December 1963).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

From the Farnham Road bridge of the southern end of Guildford station. In the foreground is ex-LSWR Drummond '700' class no.30700 (built May 1897, withdrawn November 1962); in the centre is a 1938-built 4 COR electric multiple unit at the rear of an Up Portsmouth - Waterloo service; beyond is SR Bulleid wartime Q1 class no.33019 (built May 1942 as no.C19, withdrawn December 1963).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

8th June 1964

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Against platforms 6 & 7 the 12.35pm Redhill - Reading South is headed by SR Maunsell N class no.31862 (built May 1925, withdrawn April 1965.
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Against platforms 6 & 7 the 12.35pm Redhill - Reading South is headed by SR Maunsell N class no.31862 (built May 1925, withdrawn April 1965.

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Ex-GW locomotives were not unusual at Guildford, working from Reading (South) on the ex-SECR line. No.7808 'Cookham Manor' on a stopping train from Redhill to Reading waits against platform 8 for mail to be loaded (built March 1938, withdrawn December 1965 and preserved).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Ex-GW locomotives were not unusual at Guildford, working from Reading (South) on the ex-SECR line. No.7808 'Cookham Manor' on a stopping train from Redhill to Reading waits against platform 8 for mail to be loaded (built March 1938, withdrawn December 1965 and preserved).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

5th June 1965

 

www.BloodandCustard.com
Waiting to depart from platform 2  for Horsham via Shalford Junction & Christ's Hospital this train is being worked by a ‘modern’ LMS-type 2MT ‘Ivatt’ tank engine no.41294 (built October 1951, withdrawn September 1966).
© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

Waiting to depart from platform 2  for Horsham via Shalford Junction & Christ's Hospital this train is being worked by a ‘modern’ LMS-type 2MT ‘Ivatt’ tank engine no.41294 (built October 1951, withdrawn September 1966).

© Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

 

 

Copyright Bloodandcustard

Photographic copyright Ben Brooksbank (CC-by-SA/2.0)

 

 

Home

 

Contact