BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard BR British Rail Crimson & Cream Crimson and Cream Crimson Cream Blood & Custard Blood Custard Blood and Custard

 

www.BloodandCustard.com

Southern Railway
4 SUB

(Nos. 41xx, 42xx, 43xx, 46xx & 47xx)

 

4 SUB unit no.4672 leaves Holmwood with a Horsham train on 9th May 1980
©John Atkinson

 

4 SUB Electric Multiple Units
(built on New and Recovered Underframes)

Unit nos.4101–4130, 4355–4387, 4277–4299, 4601–4607, 4617-4620 & 4621–4754

The Southern Railway’s existing suburban electric multiple unit fleet was made up of three-car motor units and two-coach trailer sets. To replace these, a ten-year program was drawn up to be implemented from 1939 for a new ‘second generation’ suburban fleet formed of four-car motor units; later known as the 4 SUB units (4-car SUBurban). The plan envisaged the construction of thirty new ‘all-steel’ vehicles in three batches of ten four-car multiple units and fifty-five trailer cars; the latter would be used to augment the electric 3-Car Motor Units built new about fifteen years earlier.

One hundred and twenty-five trailer sets would be withdrawn, one car of each of these sets being on a standard SR 62' 0" underframe, these underframes would be salvaged and used under later vehicles to be built. Later stages would include a further twenty-three completely new units and one hundred and seventy-nine trailers to augment the remaining three-car sets and finally further ‘new’ units would be constructed on underframes recovered from scrapped vehicles.

The final stage saw the withdrawal of the augmented three-car sets, the original vehicles for scrapping, and the ‘all-steel’ trailer to be used with further new motorcoaches to create further completely ‘new’ units. This plan had the advantages of getting large numbers of new trailers into service quickly without the need for new traction equipment. However, the effects of the second world war and later material and staff shortages saw it somewhat modified.

 

The highly distinctive ‘Bulleid’ profile of 4 SUB unit no.4618 awaiting ‘the road’ at Waterloo on Thursday, 1st May 1980.

© John Atkinson

 

All units were built at Eastleigh, those on new SR standard 62' 0" underframes having these fabricated at Lancing. Each unit was close-coupled within, using the standard suburban centre-buffer and three-link chain arrangement: this being bolted with shackles underneath the headstock (keeping the centre-buffer under compression). One corridor trailer had a centre buffer at both ends; the other trailer had a buffer at the one end with a rubbing plate at the other whilst both motorcoaches had rubbing plates.

On cab ends there was the usual central drawhook with side buffers, these being self-contained Spencer-Moulton ‘mainline-style’ buffers (as first used on the 6 PUL units). Besides lighting and control jumpers, there was also a 750v (line voltage) power jumper between units.

All the 4 SUB units could run in multiple with the 2 BIL /2 HAL /2 NOL /2 SL /2 WIM /3-Car Motor Units & 4 LAV units (up to twelve cars) but not with the 4 COR (etc) /5 BEL /6 CITY /6 PAN /6 PUL compatible range of units.

 

4 SUB vehicles ordered in the following batches

HO 1060

All vehicles for units nos.4101 – 4130 (despite a number of design changes between the three batches of ten units)
(120 cars).

HO 1094        

 

Augmentation trailer cars 10346 – 10400.
(55 cars)

This batch being split as:

 

                  1094A (10346 - 10375),

                  1094B (10376 - 10390),

                  1094C (10391 - 10400).

HO 3231

All vehicles for units nos.4355 – 4377
(92 cars)

HO 3351        

Augmentation trailer cars 10230 - 10344
(116 cars)

HO 3384        

 

All vehicles for units nos.4378 - 4385 and TS for 4386 & 4387
(34 cars)

HO 3385

MBS and TSO vehicles for units no.4386 & 4387
(6 cars)

HO 3386        

Augmentation trailer cars 10167 – 10169
(3 cars)

HO 3463        

Augmentation trailer cars 10170 – 10229
(60 cars)

HO 3464        

All vehicles for units nos.4277 – 4299
(92 cars)

HO 3504        

All vehicles for units nos.4621 – 4655
(140 cars)

HO 3505

All vehicles for units nos.4656 – 4659
(16 cars)

HO 3506        

All vehicles for units nos.4660 – 4667
(32 cars)

HO 3617

All ‘new’ vehicles for units nos.4667 - 4709
(129 cars)

HO 3618

MBS vehicles for units nos.4601 - 4607 and one spare
(15 cars).

HO 3638        

All ‘new’ vehicles for units nos.4710 - 4754
(135 cars).

 

Total cars ordered 955.

 

Details of 4 SUB vehicles ordered were as follows, with number range, units allocated, HO number, underframe LOT number (where known), building date, vehicle type, diagram number and later Southern Region electrical codes allocated in about 1963. Some vehicles survived long enough to be allocated much more complex design codes in a national BR system, these are also shown where applicable.

 

Vehicle Nos.

Unit
Nos.

HO
No.

Underframe Lot No.

Date
built

Vehicle
type

Diag.
No

SR
Code

BR
Code

8616-8653

4735-4753

3638

?

1951

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

8654-8655

4754

6163

?

1951

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

8901-8935

4621-4655

3504

?

1949

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

8936-8939

4656-4659

3505

?

1950

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

8940-8946

4660-4666

3506

?

1950

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

8947-8989

4667-4709

3617

?

1950

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

8990-9034

4710-4754

3638

?

1950-1951

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

10121-10143

4277-4299

3464

?

1948-1949

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

10144-10166

4277-4299

3464

?

1948-1949

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

10167-10169

Augmentation

3386

4796

1948

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

10170-10229

Augmentation1

3463

4796

1948

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

10190-10229

Augmentation2

3463

4983

1948

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

10230-10345

Augmentation

3351

4317

1946-1947

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

10346-10400

Augmentation

1094

?

1945-1946

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

EH2630A

10419-10428

4101-4110

1060

7618

1941-1945

10-Comp TT

2012

DG

-

10429-10438

4111-4120

1060

?

1946

10-Comp TT

2014

DK

-

10439-10448

4121-4130

1060

?

1946

(T-T) TT

2015

DM

EH2650A

10449-10471

4355-43773

3231

4101

1947

10-Comp TT

2014

DN

-

10472-10481

4378-4387

3384

4983

1948

10-Comp TT

2013

DN

-

10829-10838

4378-4382

3384

4795

1948

MBTO

2126

CK

-

10839-10844

4383-4385

3384

4795

1948

MBTO

2126

CL

-

10845-10848

4386-4387

3385

4795

1948

MBTO

2126

CL

-

10849-10894

4277-4299

3464

4982

1948-1949

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

10895-10940

4355-4377

3231

4100

1947-1948

8-Comp MBT

2119

CH

-

10941-10960

4101-4110

1060

7617

1941-1945

9-Comp MBT

2118

CE

-

10961-10980

4111-4120

1060

?

1946

8-Comp MBT

2119

CF

-

10981-11000

4121-4130

1060

?

1946

(T-T) MBT

2120

CG

-

11301-11370

4621-4655

3504

?

1949

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

11371-11378

4656-4659

3505

?

1950

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

11379-11385

4660-4663

3506

?

1950

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

11386-11392

4663-4666

3506

5430

1950

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

11448-11470

4355-43774

3231

4101

1947

9-Comp TT

2314

DP

-

11471-11480

4101-4110

1060

7618

1941-1945

10-Comp TT

2312

DF

-

11481-11500

4111-4130

1060

?

1946

9-Comp TT

2314

DL

-

12351-12358

4377-4385

3384

4983

1948

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

12359-12360

4386-4387

3385

?

1948

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

12361-12395

4621-4655

3504

?

1949

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

12396-12399

4656-4659

3505

?

1950

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

12400-12406

4660-4666

3506

?

1950

TTO

2018

DR

EH2660A

12650-12664

4601-46075

3618

5809

1950

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

12665-12750

4667-4709

3617

?

1950

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

12751-12800

4710-4734

3638

?

1950-1951

MBTO

2126

CM

EB2650A

 

Footnotes

1

Four used in units no.4365 - 4368.

2

Nineteen used in units no.4355 - 4364.

3

Fourteen used for augmentation, one vehicle (10463) experimental ‘saloon’ diagram 2018, code DR.

4

Nine used for augmentation.

5

One spare, used in pre-war unit no.4590.

 

 

On the heavily-canted Up Slow Line at Clapham Junction, unit no.4620 leans away from platform 10 whilst en-route to Waterloo from Chessington South (Thursday, 24th April 1980)

© John Atkinson

 

Summary Table
Years verses Unit numbers

Year

Unit nos.

1941-1945

4101-4110

1946

4111-4120

1946

4121-4130

1947

4355-4377

1948

4378-4387

1948-1949

4277-4299

1949

4621-4655

1950

4656-4659

1950

4660-4666

1950

4601-4607

1950

4667-4709

1950-1951

4710-4754

1951

4735-4754

1969

4131 & 4132

 


 

4 SUB unit no.4103 at Surbiton; the composite trailer being the second coach. Note the extra compartment in each car, canvas roofs with curved rainstrips above the motorman’s & guard’s doors. Livery is early BR Green with ‘unicycling Lion’ crests.

The nearest motorcoach (10946) was written off in a collision with 4 EPB no.5115 at Norwood Junction on New Year’s Eve 1968 and replaced by a 2 HAL motorcoach.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

 

Prototype Units Nos.4101 – 4110
(‘Shebas’)

The prototype ‘second generation’ suburban unit appeared in September 1941. It was a four-car all‑compartment unit built at Eastleigh works on Lancing underframes to a new style with much welding and curved bodysides so that each compartment could seat six‑a‑side. The unit was numbered 4101 and comprised two 9-compartment motor brake thirds seating one-hundred & eight, a trailer third with 11- compartments seating one-hundred & thirty-two and a trailer composite with six first-class compartments flanked by two third-class at each end and seating sixty first and forty-eight third, giving a unit total of sixty first and three-hundred & ninety-six third. The unit was 257' 5" long and weighed 144 tons (motorcoaches 43 tons, trailers 29 tons) and painted in malachite green livery.

The motorman’s cab was entered by inwards opening doors, then followed the guard’s brake-van with a pair of outward opening doors on each side. The cab was 4’ 8¼” in depth, whilst the guard’s compartment was 7’ 5½” wide and there was a swing door on the offside into the cab. Then followed nine full compartments each seating 12 and 5’ 6” in width. The motorcoach was to diagram no.2118 and was equipped with EE electrical gear, DH25 compressors and EE339 motors, the motor bogies being of the ‘Central’ type. The compartments at the end of the motorcoaches adjacent to the guard's compartment were designated for ‘Ladies Only’.

The 11-compartment trailer third was to diagram no.2012, each compartment being 5’ 6¾” in width and the 10-compartment trailer composite was to diagram no.2312, with third-class compartments again 5’ 6¾” wide whilst the first-class compartments were 6’ 6” wide.

First-class was subsequently discontinued in suburban trains and with the abolition of Second-class on 3rd June 1956, Third-class was renamed Second-class. The composite car was thus altered to seat one-hundred & twenty before unit no.4101 entered service and the unit total was four-hundred & sixty-eight third. Trailer bogies were the SR standard 9’ 0” wheelbase bogie with oil axleboxes.

This unit (along with the next nine into service) differed from all later 4 SUB units in having the older style timber and canvas roofs and a squarer cab end design similar to the 2 HAL units with which they could run in multiple.

The sides of the cab on this batch were flat; the body then changing shape to the rounded sides of the remainder of the unit.

Nine further sets unit nos.4102 ‑ 4110 were produced between January and April 1945 to an identical design, but being third-class only from the outset seated four-hundred & sixty-eight. Internally the units were finished with plywood interior partitions and panelling covered in medium brown rexine with cream coloured cotton covering on the ceilings. Seating was the fixed bench type. All ten units were to order number HO 1060.

 

Eastleigh Body Pressings

Units nos.4101 - 4110 were the first produced using new jigs at Eastleigh works, these being used to produce large metal pressings, mostly with a ¼ light window opening at each end, the outer edges of each pressing forming the edges of the adjacent doorways. Smaller pressings incorporating only one ¼ light window were made for each end of the vehicle.

The pressings were curved from gutter to solebar, whilst steel doors to the same profile were fitted; these each having a droplight window above which was a small oval light. The droplights were frameless and mounted on a spring ‘lazy arm’ (allowing then to be opened variable amounts) with a spring ‘lift rail’ along the top of the droplight to control opening and keep the window closed by latching into clips at the top when required.

Vehicle ends were also formed of large metal pressings, these having some vertical ribbing to give added strength. As this batch still had timber and canvas roofs, they had their gutters in the conventional position at cantrail level, this was raised higher on later units with steel roofs.

 

Unit no.4108 approaches Manor Road Level Crossing (North Sheen) on a Hounslow Loop to Waterloo service (headcode 89).

This unit carries the BR carriage roundels on its motorcoaches and air-horns, so the photograph dates from after its 13th June 1963 repaint but prior to Lancing painting yellow panels on units from October 1963. This unit received its yellow panels on 28th February 1966 with its next varnish at Selhurst.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

Into Service

When new, unit no.4101 was put into service on the Victoria to Orpington route which at that time was one of the railways busiest. It was joined from April 1942 by the first ‘augmented’ unit no.4131 to make an eight-car train. However, these units worked throughout the suburban system with unit no.4109 being first used on the South Western lines in January 1946, mostly on the Guildford via Cobham route.

During their first overhauls the rexine was replaced by dark brown or maroon and the cotton ceilings painted custard with toffee brown fittings. With third-class being re-designated as second-class from 3rd June 1956 the cars were reclassified from MBT to MBS and TT to TS respectively.

From November 1962 units began to be fitted with two-tone air horns mounted on the cab roof replacing the whistle, unit no.4101 being done at Lancing and also gained small yellow warning panels on the cab front, unit no.4110 being one of the first SR units so treated in January 1964.

These units all remained in service until early 1972, two being reformed as a result of accident damage. Most received all-blue livery but three units (nos.4104 /4105 & 4109) were withdrawn in the all‑over green which they had carried since new, although all had full yellow ends applied between July 1967 and October 1968.

Unit no.4102 was the last 4 SUB unit to be repainted blue in February 1971. Four units, no.4103 and the three remaining green units (nos.4104 /4105 & 4109) were used for Xmas mails traffic in December 1971 prior to withdrawal. These units received the class number 405/1 under the BR TOPS classification system just prior to withdrawal.

Unit formations, ‘paint dates’, and withdrawal date and scrapping details also vehicle electrical codes were as below:

 

Unit No.

Date

MBT

11C TT

10C TT

MBT

Wdn date

Scrap

Diag. No

 

2118

2012

2312

2118

 

 

Code

 

CE

DG

DF

CE

 

 

4101

29-Oct-41

10941

10419

11471

10942

13-May-72

Nov-72 C

4102

19-Dec-44

10944

10420

11472

10943

13-May-72

Jan-73 C

4103

11-Jan-45

10946
107626

10421

11473

10945

1-Jan-72

Jul-72 C

4104

22-Jan-45

10948

10422

11474

10947

1-Jan-72

Jun-72 J

4105

7-Feb-45

 

10950

10423

11475

10949

1-Jan-72

Jul-72 C

4106

20-Feb-45

10952
108967

10424

11476

10951

18-Mar-72

Feb-73 B

4107

10 Mar-45

10954

10425

11477

10953

13-May-72

Nov-72 C

4108

20 Mar-45

10956

10426

11478
103568

10955

13-May-72

Nov-72 C

4109

11 Apr-45

10958

10427

11479

10957

1-Jan-72

Jul-72 C

4110

7 May-45

10960

10428

11480

10959

13-May-72

Apr-73 A

 

Footnotes

6

2 HAL MBS, diagram 2116, code CD.

7

8 Compt. MBS, diagram 2119, code CH.

8

Augmentation trailer, diagram 2013, code DN.

 

Key Letter Code for Scrap Dealers

A

 Marple & Gillott (Attercliffe).

B

 Bird Group (Long Marston).

C

 J. Cashmore Ltd (Newport).

J

 J. McWilliams Ltd (Shettleston).

 

 

Hybrid unit no.4103 with its replacement 2 HAL motorcoach (ex.2644) working a Coulsdon North to London Bridge service at Purley on the Up Local (now the Up Fast) c.May /June 1969.

Right over in platforms 5 & 6 two SR-designed EPB units can just be seen on Caterham /Tattenham Corner services.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

 

Individual Unit Notes nos.4101 - 4110

Unit

 

4101

Unit commenced service 9-Nov-41.

Unit to Eastleigh for unspecified repair between 27-Aug-42 and 24-Dec-42 (possible damage?).

Unit slightly damaged about February 1946 and repaired at Lancing during overhaul between 20-Feb-46 and 18-Apr-46.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Epsom Downs, moving to Horsham in June. After stripping at Selhurst moved to Chichester 23-Oct-72. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. Newport 13-Nov-72.

4102

Unit commenced service 1-Jan-45.

MBT 10943 and both trailers damaged in derailment and sidescrape (with 2 HAL?) near London Bridge 11-Nov-54 repaired at Eastleigh between 17-Dec-54 and 11-May-55.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and after withdrawal initially stored at Crystal Palace, then moved from Selhurst to Reigate 12-Jun-72. Unit back to Selhurst for stripping 4-Dec-72 prior to movement to Micheldever. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. Newport 8‑Jan‑73.

4103

Unit commenced service 22-Jan-45.

Unit in collision with unit no.5115 at Norwood Junction 31-Dec-68, MBS 10946 withdrawn 25‑Jan‑69 and cut‑up on site 7-Feb-69. Replaced by 2 HAL MBS 10762 (ex.2644) which seated seventy, reducing overall unit capacity to four-hundred & thirty-six whilst increasing weight to 145 tons. Back to traffic 31-Mar-69 in blue livery.

Unit withdrawn 1-Jan-72 and after withdrawal stored at Balcombe by 1-Mar-72, moving back to Selhurst for stripping 10-May-72. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. Newport 1-Jul-72.

4104

Unit commenced service 29-Jan-45.

Unit withdrawn 1-Jan-72 and after withdrawal and stripping at Selhurst unit hauled to Shalford for storage 14‑Jan‑72. Moved to Basingstoke 31-May-72 and hauled away for scrapping to J. McWilliam Ltd. (Shettleston) 6-Jun-72.

4105

Unit commenced service 19-Feb-45.

Unit hit buffers at London Bridge 25-Nov-60, MBS 10950 and TS 10423 damaged and repaired at Peckham Rye.

Unit withdrawn 1-Jan-72 and after withdrawal stored at Balcombe by 1-Mar-72, moving back to Selhurst for stripping 10-May-72. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. (Newport) 1-Jul-72.

4106

Unit commenced service 5-Mar-45.

Unit overhauled Nov‑55.

Unit varnished Jun‑61.

Unit completely derailed over yard points at Coulsdon North 25-Jul-62, sent to Lancing for repair between 5-Sep-62 and 11-Jan-63.

MBS 10951 damaged in collision with unit no.5248 in Selhurst depot 14-Mar-72 and unit withdrawn 18-Mar-72, MBS 10952 exchanged with damaged MBS 10896 (ex.4355) and unit moved to Micheldever for storage c.12-Jun-72. Moved to Basingstoke 15-Feb-73 and onward for scrapping to Bird Group (Long Marston) the next day.

4107

Unit commenced service 20-Mar-45.

MBS 10952 and TS 10425 derailed on catch points at Beckenham Junction 3-Dec-63, repaired at Selhurst.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and after withdrawal initially stored at Crystal Palace, moving to Horsham in June. After stripping at Selhurst moved to Chichester 23-Oct-72. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. (Newport) 13-Nov-72.

4108

Unit commenced service 10-Apr-45.

Unit damaged about March 1960 (details unknown) and repaired at Selhurst between 25-Mar-60 and 31-Mar-60.

10- Compt. TS 11478 badly damaged in converging collision at Wimbledon Park 28-Dec-60 (possibly in collision with 4 COR unit no.3143) and withdrawn 28‑Jan‑61. Body stripped at Wimbledon Park then stored at Micheldever until to Strawberry Hill 30‑Jan‑61 for electrical stripping and scrapped at Newhaven arriving 28-Feb-61. Replaced by reinstated 10356 (ex. augmented 4 SUB unit no.4334) from 26-Jan-61, also a wooden roofed vehicle weighing 28 tons so overall unit weight now 143 tons.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Crystal Palace, moving to Horsham in June. After stripping at Selhurst moved to Chichester 23-Oct-72. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. (Newport) 13-Nov-72.

4109

Unit commenced service 26-Apr-45.

Unit damaged about December 1959 (details unknown) and repaired at Eastleigh between 18-Jan-60 and 10-Mar-60.

Unit to Lancing for roof repairs between 18-Apr-62 and 15-May-62.

Unit withdrawn 1-Jan-72 and stored at Wimbledon Park, moving to Selhurst for stripping 16-Feb-72. Hauled to Clapham Yard 10-Jun-72 and on to Salisbury 17-Jun-72, moving for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. (Newport) 19-Jun-72.

4110

Unit commenced service 31-May-45. Unit damaged about January 1947 (details unknown) and repaired at Eastleigh between 27-Jan-47 and 3-Mar-47.

MBT 10959 slightly damaged in collision with unit no.4313 at Victoria 8-Dec-49.

Unit at Lancing for bogie repair between 18-May-54 and 14-Jun-54 (details unknown).

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and after stripping at Selhurst hauled to Clapham Yard 15-Jul-72 and on to Micheldever for storage 22-Jul-72. Hauled away for scrapping to Marple & Gillott (Attercliffe) 5-Apr-73 from Basingstoke.

 

 

Augmentation Trailers Nos.10346 - 10400

The first fifty-five augmentation trailers to order number HO 1094 were constructed in 1945‑6 and were similar in design to the 10-compartment trailers in units nos.4101 ‑ 4110 though each compartment was the same width at 6' 1" as no First-class accommodation was intended. This resulted in the Third-class compartments being wider than those in the units nos.4101 ‑ 4110 batch. Each compartment seated twelve passengers giving a total of one-hundred & twenty Third (later Second) class seats. All these vehicles were built at Eastleigh on new underframes from Lancing and weighed 28 tons.

Order number HO 1094 was sub-divided into three with HO 1094A for vehicles 10346 ‑ 10375, HO 1094B for 10376 ‑ 10390 and HO 1094C for 10391 ‑ 10400.

Only the last ten built were of all-steel construction, the first forty-five having timber and canvas roofs, the last suburban cars built with this feature with all later 4 SUB vehicles being of the ‘all-steel’ variety. As a result, most of the wooden roofed cars were in fact withdrawn for scrapping when the unit they were included in was withdrawn in the late 1950s. However, a few saw further use - four in the 7 TC unit no.900 (later no.701), one in 4 LAV unit no.2926 and one in wooden-roofed 4 SUB unit no.4108.

The final ten all-steel vehicles all saw further use, four being converted into de-icing trailers, two going into later 4 SUB units and the remainder converted to 4 EPB trailers. These cars were initially used to augment 3-Car Motor Units nos.1285 ‑ 1310 and nos.1496 ‑ 1524 which were renumbered as unit nos.4300 - 4354 respectively. They were built to diagram number 2013. As both batches of units were being augmented at the same time, cars were allocated between the batches when they were completed and not allocated in any sort of number order. Corner armrests were provided in the all-steel sub-batch (but not the first forty-five built with timber and canvas roofs). The all-steel sub-batch also had the higher gutter line, the wooden-roofed ones having a gutter at cantrail level and a curved rainstrip above.

Following withdrawal, most of these augmentation trailers were removed from their pre-war units and stored, mostly at Micheldever with a few on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton spur line near Winchester Jct. However, most were not used in traffic again and were eventually taken to Newhaven for scrapping, usually in batches of four marshalled between pairs of withdrawn motorcoaches. These were routed via Strawberry Hill where the motorcoaches were electrically stripped, before being hauled to Newhaven.

 

Coach

New

To unit(s)

Withdrawn

Scrap

Date

Diag. No.

2013

 

 

 

 

10346

Jun-45

4329
/900
/701
/4131

9-Oct-71

A King Ltd (Wymondham)

Aug-72

10347

Jun-45

4343

22-Apr-61

Newhaven

Jul-63

10348

Jun-45

4332

27-Aug-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10349

Jul-45

4346
/900
/701
/4132

9-Oct-71

A King Ltd (Wymondham)

8-72

10350

Jul-45

4354

5-Dec-59

Newhaven

Jul-63

10351

Jul-45

4328
/900
/701
/4132

9-Oct-71

A King Ltd (Wymondham)

Aug-72

10352

Jul-45

4339
/4348

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

Aug-63

10353

Aug-45

4352
/900
/701
/4364

22-Nov-75

Mayer Newman (Snailwell)

Oct-76

10354

Aug-45

4341

30-Apr-60

Newhaven

Dec-63

10355

Aug-45

4319

9-Jul-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10356

Aug-45

4334
/4108

13-May-72

J Cashmore Ltd (Newport)

Oct-72

10357

Aug-45

4315
/4308

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

c.Sep-63

10358

Aug-45

4342

18-Jun-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10359

Aug-45

4338
/2926
/4282
/4369

6-Oct-73

A King Ltd (Wymondham)

Jul-74

10360

Aug-45

4347

20-May-61

Newhaven

Jul-63

10361

Aug-45

4331
/4348

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

Aug-63

10362

Sep-45

4326

6-May-61

Newhaven

Jul-63

10363

Sep-45

4353

27-Aug-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10364

Sep-45

4337

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

Aug-63

10365

Sep-45

4336

14-Nov-59

Newhaven

Dec-63

10366

Sep-45

4316

26-Mar-60

Newhaven

Jan-64

10367

Sep-45

4318

30-Jan-60

Newhaven

c.Apr-64

10368

Sep-45

4330

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

Nov-63

10369

Oct-45

4309

21-May-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10370

Oct-45

4325

7-May-60

Newhaven

Dec-63

10371

Oct-45

4303

13-Feb-60

Newhaven

c.Apr-64

10372

Oct-45

4310
/4309

21-May-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10373

Oct-45

4350
/4607
/4333

18-Nov-61

Newhaven

Sep-63

10374

Oct-45

4307

16-Apr-60

Newhaven

Dec-63

10375

Oct-45

4322

4-Nov-61

Newhaven

c.Oct-63

10376

Nov-45

4313
/4594
/4335

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

Sep-63

10377

Nov-45

4323

15-Apr-61

Newhaven

Jul-63

10378

Nov-45

4312

11-Jun-60

Newhaven

Oct-63

10379

Nov-45

4311

15-Nov-60

Newhaven

Jul-63

10380

Nov-45

4308

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

c.Sep-63

10381

Nov-45

4302
/4335

20-Jan-62

Newhaven

Sep-63

10382

Dec-45

4305

27-May-61

Newhaven

Jul-63

10383

Dec-45

4301
/4322

4-Nov-61

Newhaven

c.Oct-63

10384

Dec-45

4300

19-Apr-58

Newhaven

May-58

10385

Dec-45

4321
/4324

4-Nov-61

Newhaven

Sep-63

10386

Jan-46

4324

4-Nov-61

Newhaven

Sep-63

10387

Jan-46

4320

2-Apr-60

Newhaven

Jan-64

10388

Jan-46

4306

9-Apr-60

Newhaven

Jan-64

10389

Jan-46

4314

29-Apr-61

Newhaven

Jul-63

10390

Feb-46

4317

26-Mar-60

Newhaven

Jan-64

 

 

All-Steel Vehicles

Coach

New

To unit(s)

Withdrawn

Converted

Date

Diag. No.

2013

 

 

 

 

Code

DN

(SUB)

 

 

DU

(EPB conversions)

 

10391

Feb-46

4335
/5010

-

15010

May-52

10392

Feb-46

4345

11-Apr-59

DS70050

Sep-59

10393

Mar-46

4348
/4729

30-Mar-74

 

 

10394

Mar-46

4327
/5150

-

15228

c.May-63

10395

Mar-46

4344
/5262

-

15083

Nov-65

10396

Mar-46

4340
/4115

1-Jan-72

 

 

10397

Mar-46

4304

4-Jun-60

DS70086

1960

10398

Mar-46

4333
/5001

-

15001

Oct-51

10399

Mar-46

4351

11-Apr-59

DS70051

Sep59

10400

Apr-46

4349

2-Jul-60

DS70087

Nov-60

 

 

Many of these vehicles spent some time in store (usually at Micheldever or on the former Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line near Winchester Jct) following the withdrawal of the pre-war units in which they were running, before being taken to Newhaven for scrapping. One feature of this batch (also seen on the following units nos.4111 ‑ 4120 batch of 4 SUB units) were the two-small semi‑circular air vents above the door droplights in place of the usual oval window. As these doors were fully interchangeable with those on all other 4 SUB (and the SR type 4 EPB units) many of them appeared on other vehicles, outliving this batch of cars by many years.

 

 

4 SUB 4112 Waddon 17-5-64

4 SUB unit no.4112 at Waddon 17th May 1964 (Whit-Sunday)
working a Victoria to Epsom Downs service (headcode 84).
© John Hayward


Units Nos.4111 – 4120
(‘Marys’)

A further ten complete units were next constructed at Eastleigh between April and July 1946, all on new underframes from Lancing and numbered 4111 ‑ 4120. These were also ordered as part of order HO 1060 and were the first all-steel units with a revised cab end design which was followed on all subsequent 4 SUB units built (i.e. with straight cab ends without the dome or inset cab doors).

Experience with the earlier unit no.4101 batch led to a revised seating layout, that of the earlier units now being considered as too cramped, with insufficient room for standing passengers in the narrow compartments. As a result, each vehicle in this batch had one less compartment per car, the motorcoaches now having eight (seating ninety-six), one trailer having ten (seating one-hundred & twenty) and the other trailer having nine (seating one-hundred & eight) six of which were wider than usual to allow possible reinstatement of First-class seating (which never took place). These six wider compartments were in the centre of the vehicle with normal width compartments flanking (two at one end /one at the other) with the two narrower compartments being marshalled against the adjacent motorcoach.

Overall seating capacity of this batch of units was four-hundred & twenty third and they were of the standard 4 SUB length of 257' 5". Diagram numbers allocated were: MBT diag. no.2119, 9-compartment TT diag. no.2314 and 10-compartment TT diag. no.2014.

The guard’s brakevan in these units was slightly wider also at 8' 0½" which became standard in all later motorcoaches built. Units were fitted with the ‘Central’ type 43" motor bogies powered by EE339 275hp motors. Motorcoaches weighed 43 tons and trailers 28 tons giving a unit total of 142 tons.

Internally the units were fitted out similarly to the unit no.4101 batch and this batch were the first to have the much higher gutter line on the car exterior with nothing along the traditional cantrail area. Subsequent to this, units nos.4112 /4115 /4118 were fitted with rainstrips in the traditional position along the cantrail.

Units were close-coupled within, using the standard suburban centre-buffer and three-link chain arrangement: this being bolted with shackles underneath the headstock (keeping the centre-buffer under compression). On cab ends there was the usual central drawhook with side buffers. The corridor trailer had a centre buffer at both ends; the non-corridor trailer had a buffer at the third-class end and a rubbing plate at the first-class end whilst both motorcoaches had rubbing plates.

During first overhaul unit no.4120 had internal partitions replaced by Formica, ceilings replaced by plastic sheet and other panels replaced by ‘Hardec’, a plastic-coated plywood system.

From January 1964 units gained small yellow warning panels on cab ends, unit no.4117 being one of the first units so adorned. Unit no.4117 was painted blue with small yellow panels in October 1966, whilst units nos.4111 /4112 /4113 /4114 /4115 /4116 /4118 & 4119 gained full yellow ends whilst still green and unit no.4120 went straight from green to blue with full yellow ends in July 1967.

Unit nos.4115 & 4118 were withdrawn still in green livery after use on Xmas mails traffic in December 1971, all other units eventually being painted blue with full yellow ends. These units were also classified as Class 405/1 under the BR TOPS classification system from 1972. These units remained in service until withdrawals started in 1972 and all had gone by the end of 1975.

 

Unit
No.

Date

MBT

10C TT

9C TT

MBT

Withdrawn date

Scrap
date

Diag. No

 

2119

2014

2314

2119

 

 

Code

 

CF

DK

DL

CF

 

 

4111

30-Apr-46

10961

10429

11481

10962

13-May-72

Oct-72 B

4112

May-46

10964

10430

11482

10963

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 M

4113

24-May-46

10966

10431

11483

10965

22-Nov-75

Jun-76 B

4114

31-May-46

10968

10432

11484

10967
10934
9
10967

13-May-72

Jan-73 C

4115

7-Jun-46

10970

10433

11485
1039610

10969

1-Jan-72

Jun-72 J

4116

20-Jun-46

10972

10434

11486

10971

13-May-72

Aug-73 K

4117

27-Jun-46

10974

10435

11487

10973

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 S

4118

4-Jul-46

10976

10436

11488

10975

1-Jan-72

Jul-72 C

4119

12-Jul-46

10978

10437

11489

10977

6-Oct-73

Mar-75 K

4120

20-Jul-46

10980
1136311

10438

11490

10979

13-May-72

Oct-72 B

 

Footnotes

9

MBS code CH.

10

10-Compt. TS diagram 2013, code DN.

11

Saloon MBS diagram 2126, code CM.

 

Key Letter Code for Scrap Dealers

B

C

J

M

S

Bird Group (Long Marston).

J. Cashmore Ltd (Newport).

J. McWilliams Ltd (Shettleston).

Milton Metals at T. W. Ward (Briton Ferry).

A. King Ltd (Snailwell).

 

 

Unit no.4114 upon arrival at Sevenoaks with ‘unicycling Lions’ on its motorcoaches which dates this between June 1950 and December 1957. Note the ‘target’ totems, early barley-twist gas lamps and stone platform face. Both side platforms have long since been removed and the left hand track since realigned to become the Up Fast.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

 

Individual Unit Notes

Unit

 

4111

Unit commenced service 8-May-46.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and after withdrawal and stripping at Selhurst hauled to Shalford for storage 23-May-72, and moved on to Guildford 31-May-72. Moved to Micheldever 5‑Jul‑72, then to Basingstoke 9-Oct-72. Hauled away for scrapping to Bird Group (Long Marston 18-Oct-72).

4112

Unit commenced service 25-May-46.

Unit damaged in collision (with what?) at Gillingham depot Apr‑58 and not repaired until c.Oct‑58.

Unit out of use Apr-72 and stored at Lancing and withdrawn 11-May-72 but then reinstated 2-Aug-75.

However, unit remained out of use at Lancing and stored there until withdrawn 22-Nov-75 and moved to Selhurst for stripping. Both trailers from unit no.4361 formed into unit for disposal as a 6-car. Hauled to Micheldever for storage 1-Mar-76 and onwards for scrapping by Milton Metals at T. W. Ward’s yard (Briton Ferry) 12-Oct-76 from Salisbury.

4113

Unit commenced service 1-Jun-46.

Unit damaged  about August 1952 (details unknown) and both MBT cars  and TT 10431 damaged, TT 11483 temporarily exchanged with damaged 10-compartment 10453 (ex.4551)  and unit to Eastleigh for repairs between 9-Sep-52 and 17-Oct-52 reverted to normal formation c.27-Feb-53.

Unit out-of-use Apr‑72 and stored at Lancing and withdrawn 13-May-72 but then reinstated 2-Aug-75.

However, unit remained of use at Lancing and stored there until withdrawn 22-Nov-75 and moved to Selhurst for stripping. Unit hauled to Micheldever Feb‑76 for store and taken to Basingstoke 7‑Jun‑76 and moved for scrapping to Bird Group (Long Marston) from there the following day.

4114

Unit commenced service 17-Jun-46.

Unit in collision with light loco near London Bridge 24‑Jul‑49 and MBT 10968 damaged. MBT 10967 exchanged with damaged 10934 (ex.4374)  c.21-Sep-49 and unit to Eastleigh for repairs, released back to traffic  8-Jun-50. Reverted to original formation Jan‑53.

Unit at Eastleigh for unspecified repair to both MBT cars between 5-Oct-53 and 2-Dec-53 (possible damage?) then to Selhurst for varnish and released 16-Dec-53.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Crystal Palace and moved to Reigate 12-Jun‑72. Returned to Selhurst for stripping 4-Dec-72 and hauled to Micheldever for storage. Hauled away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. (Newport) 8-Jan-73.

4115

Unit commenced service 17-Jun-46.

9-compartment TS 11485 removed from unit during overhaul at Lancing between 27-May-63 and 13-Sep-63 for conversion to composite (the only 4 SUB vehicle ever to run with First-class accommodation). To set no.900 (later 7 TC no.701) from 6-Sep-63 and replaced in no.4115 by 10-compartment augmentation trailer 10396 (ex.4340 but withdrawn 16‑Jul‑60 and in store at Micheldever) from 14-Sep-63. Unit then seated four-hundred & thirty-two. Coach 11485 moved to Eastleigh 14-Aug-63 to be formed into Set 900.

Unit withdrawn 1-Jan-72 and after stripping at Selhurst hauled to Shalford for storage 14-Jan-72. Moved to Basingstoke 31-May-72 and hauled away for scrapping to J. McWilliam Ltd. (Shettleston) 6‑Jun‑72.

4116

Unit commenced service 5-Jul-46.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Crystal Palace and following stripping at Selhurst unit hauled to Chart Leacon 6‑Jun‑72. Moved to Herne Hill by 17-Nov-72 and on to Micheldever for storage 2-Dec-72. Moved to Basingstoke prior to being hauled away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) 9‑Jul‑73.

4117

Unit commenced service 5-Jul-46.

Unit (with no.4129) damaged in collision with unit no.4374 at Epsom 28‑Jul‑49 but repaired and varnished at Selhurst between 9-Aug-49 and 18-Aug-49.

Unit at Eastleigh for unspecified repair between 26-Jul-50 and 6-Dec-50 (possible damage?).

Unit again at Eastleigh for unspecified repair between 16-Dec-52 and 26-Jan-53 (possible damage?).

MBS 10974 damaged in derailment at Waterloo South Sidings 3-May-61, TS 10435 also damaged when conductor rail penetrated car end. Unit to Durnsford Road where 10435 repaired, then to Micheldever where 10974 was to be removed to Eastleigh for repair 19-May-61 but the other three cars ‘ran away’ and MBS 10973 also damaged in subsequent collision  so whole unit then sent to Eastleigh for repairs between 19-Jun-61 and 26-Sep-61. When unit released both cab interiors had some experimental surface treatment.

Unit out of use Apr‑72 and stored at Lancing and withdrawn May‑72 but then reinstated.

Unit moved from Wimbledon Park to Lancing 29-Sep-73 and withdrawn again 6-Oct-73 though it was officially reinstated again 2-Aug-75 but remained stored at Lancing until withdrawn 22-Nov-75 and moved to Selhurst for stripping. Hauled to Micheldever for storage Feb‑76, and onwards for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Snailwell) 11-Oct-76

4118

Unit commenced service 18-Jul-46.

Unit at Eastleigh for unspecified repair between 3-Aug-50 and 9-Nov-50 (possible damage?).

Unit withdrawn 1-Jan-72 and after withdrawal stored at Wimbledon Park, moving to Selhurst for stripping 16-Feb-72. Hauled to Woking 29-Mar-72 and on to Micheldever 15-Apr-72 for storage and moved away for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd. (Newport) 13‑Jul‑72.

4119

Unit commenced service 18-Jul-46.

Unit to Lancing for storage from Wimbledon Park 2-Oct-73 and withdrawn from there on 6-Oct-73, moving to Selhurst for stripping 17-Oct-73. Hauled to Clapham Yard Dec‑73 and on to Micheldever Jan‑74. Moved away for scrapping 28-Aug-74, not arriving at A. King Ltd (Wymondham) until 15-Mar-75 after a period at Thetford.

4120

Unit commenced service 1-Aug-46.

MBS 10980 cab badly damaged in collision with unit no.5335 near Gipsy Hill 18-Dec-61, condemned 27-Jan-62  and broken-up at Durnsford Road 11-Feb-62. Replaced by eighty-two seat saloon MBS 11363 (ex.4652) after damage repairs at Lancing which had its EE507 motors replaced by EE339 type at Durnsford Road prior to reform and unit back to traffic 20-Mar-62. Unit then seated four-hundred & six and weighed 141 tons.

Unit quite badly damaged about February 1968 (details unknown) and to Eastleigh for C5 repair 6-Mar-68, not released until 29-Nov-68.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and after stripping at Selhurst hauled to Shalford for storage 23-May-72 and moved on to Guildford 31-May-72. Moved to Micheldever 5‑Jul‑72, then to Basingstoke 9-Oct-72. Hauled away for scrapping to Bird Group (Long Marston) 18-Oct-72.

 


 

8 SUB formation with no.4126 in rear passes Wimbledon West
signal box with the 18.04 to Shepperton on 1st June 1972
©BloodandCustard

 

Semi - Saloon Units
Nos.4121 - 4130

The final batch of ten units in the original 1939 order for thirty appeared in service between August / October 1946, and were built at Eastleigh works on new underframes from Lancing and were numbered 4121 ‑ 4130. This batch of units was also ordered as part of order number HO 1060 and became known as the ‘Semi‑Saloon’ units.

These units outwardly appeared identical to units nos.4111 ‑ 4120 and were to the now standard 4 SUB length of 257' 5" and weighed 142 tons as previously with the exception of no.4130 (see later). However, in a further attempt to improve the lot of standing passengers in peak hours, these units had an experimental internal seating layout. One trailer (the 9-compartment pseudo-composite) was identical to those in the no.4111 batch with one-hundred & eight seats all in compartments. The other trailer was of the saloon layout with two internal partitions dividing the car into saloons of three /four /three seating bays.

At the saloon ends were the usual full-width bench type seats for six, but within the saloon the seats were arranged with three to one side and two to the other of an off-centre central gangway. These seats had hammock slung cushions and unlike later saloon cars, the seating units did not have an armrest by the central gangway; this car seated one-hundred & six. The motorcoaches were similar in concept, with one central partition dividing the car into two bays of four, each car now seating eighty-four. Overall unit capacity was therefore three-hundred & eighty-two.

Luggage racks above the seats in saloons were made from welded steel tube which became standard on all later units, though unit no.4130 was fitted with wrought brass racks as fitted to the COR /BUF /RES units. Unit no.4126 had experimental grab handles fitted by the doors in compartment ‘D’ of the compartment trailer. The offside gangway was to the nearside in each motorcoach when that vehicle was leading, that in the saloon trailer was to the same side as that of the adjacent motorcoach. The 9-compartment trailer was marshalled with the two narrower compartments against the adjacent motorcoach.

The final unit of the batch (no.4130) was equipped with experimental EE507 motors, which were lighter in weight at 1.92 tons compared with the 3.6 tons of the earlier EE339 type. In unit no.4130 these were rated at 185hp although the many fitted into later units were rated at 250hp. These motors reduced the weight of the motorcoaches of unit no.4130 to 40 tons and the overall unit weight to 136 tons. These motors were subsequently replaced by EE339 ones in December 1955 and the unit reverted to the standard weight for this batch.

Interior decor was similar to the earlier batches and during first overhaul units nos.4121 /4122 /4123 /4125 & 4128 were retrimmed similarly to the no.4111 batch, units nos.4124 /4126 & 4127 being done in the same style as no.4120. Units nos.4126 ‑ 4129 were given Formica partitions whilst retaining the rexine covered panelling, unit no.4129 also later gained cantrail rainstrips.

Units nos.4121 /4124 /4126 & 4127 were painted all-over blue with small yellow warning panels at Eastleigh during ‘C1’ overhauls during 1966, nos.4122 /4123 /4125 & 4128 gaining full-yellow ends with green livery at Selhurst during ‘C6‘ overhauls in 1967-1968, whilst nos.4129 /4130 went from green straight to blue with full yellow ends (unit no.4130 being the first into this state in December 1967). All units eventually gained this livery on subsequent repaint.

This batch of units started to be withdrawn in 1971 but many of the motorcoaches were converted for departmental use in ‘new’ de-icing units converted at Selhurst between 1977 and 1982. These units were also Class 405/1 under the BR TOPS classification system from 1972.

Unit formations, completion and withdrawal dates were as follows:

 

Unit No.

Date

MBT
(S-S)

TT
(S-S)

9C TT

MBT
(S-S)

Withdrawn date

Scrap
date

Diag. No

 

2120

2015

2314

2120

 

 

Code

 

CG

DM

DL

CG

 

 

4121

Aug-46

10982

10439

11491

10981

16-Apr-76

Oct-81 B

4122

23-Aug-46

10984

10440

11492

10983

13-May-72

Apr-73 G

4123

29-Aug-46

10986

10441

11493

10985

9-Oct-71

24‑Jan‑72 K

4124

Aug-46

10988

10442

11494

10987

20-Apr-76

See notes

4125

Aug-46

10990

10443

11495

10989

23-Apr-76

Oct-81 B

4126

Sep-46

10992

10444

11496
1044812

10991

16-Apr-76

See notes

4127

Sep-46

10993

10445

11497
1044613

10994

16-Apr-76

See notes

4128

Sep-46

10995

10446
1149714

11498

10996

22-Nov-75

18-Mar-76 M

4129

15-Oct-46

10998

10447

11499

10997

13-May-72

>Apr-73 G

4130

Oct-46

10999

10448
1149615

11500

11000

22-Nov-75

>Mar-76 M

 

Footnotes

12

10-Compt. semi-saloon TS, diagram 2015, code DM.

13

10-Compt. semi-saloon TS, diagram 2015, code DM.

14

9-Compt. TS, diagram 2314, code DL.

15

9-Compt. TS, diagram 2314, code DL.

 

Key Letter Code for Scrap Dealers

B

G

K

M

Bird Group (Long Marston).

Marple & Gillott Ltd (Attercliffe).

A. King Ltd (Wymondham).

Milton Metals at T. W. Ward (Briton Ferry).

 

 

Individual Unit Notes

Unit

 

4121

Unit commenced service 2-Sep-46. Unit withdrawn 16-Apr-76 and semi‑saloon trailer 10439 exchanged with TS 10146 (ex.4279) May‑76 and unit stored at Norwood Yard.

MBS cars stored until 20-Feb-77 when used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches for unit 005, 10981 renumbered ADB975588 and 10982 renumbered ADB975589, both from 10-Dec-77.

Both trailers scrapped by Bird Group (Long Marston) Oct‑81 as part of 8-car ‘4607’.

4122

Unit commenced service 30-Aug-46.

Unit damaged early 1965 (details unknown) and both MBS cars 10983 & 10984 to Eastleigh for repairs between 19-Jan-65 and 3-May-65.

Unit slightly damaged about January 1968 (details unknown) and repaired at Selhurst between 25-Jan-68 and 30-Jan-68.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Surbiton then moved to Selhurst for stripping 13-Jul-72. Unit hauled to Micheldever for storage 5-Aug-72 and hauled away for scrapping from Basingstoke 5-Apr-73 by Marple & Gillott Ltd (Attercliffe) Apr‑73.

4123

Unit commenced service 16-Sep-46.

Unit at Lancing for ‘A’ repair between 16-Jul-59 and 11-Aug-59 (possible damage?).

Unit damaged in derailment at Strawberry Hill 13-Sep-71 and condemned 9-Oct-71. Moved to Micheldever for storage Oct‑71 and hauled away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) 24-Jan-72.

4124

Unit commenced service 18-Sep-46.

Unit damaged in collision with loco‑hauled train outside Victoria 12-Feb-48 but repaired.

MBS 10988 slightly damaged about September 1966 and unit to Eastleigh 5-Oct-66 for C1 overhaul and repair, released 11-Nov-66 in blue livery.

Unit withdrawn 20-Apr-76 and semi‑saloon trailer 10442 exchanged with TS 10165 (ex.4298) Jul-76 and unit stored at Norwood Yard.

MBS cars stored until 7-Dec-78 when used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches. 10987 renumbered ADB975597 for unit 008 from 30-Jun-79, 10988 renumbered ADB975600 for unit no.010 from 11-Jun-80.

Trailers 10165 and 11494 both stored at Micheldever by 1978 as part of 8-car ‘4647’, later removed and to Horwich works 12-Sep-80 for disposal as part of ‘4647’.

4125

Unit commenced service 16-Sep-46.

Unit withdrawn 23-Apr-76 and semi‑saloon trailer 10443 exchanged with TS 10339 (ex.4721) Jun‑76 and unit stored at Norwood Yard.

MBS cars stored until 24-Feb-79 when used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches for unit no.009. 10989 renumbered ADB975598 and 10990 renumbered ADB975599, both from 29-Dec-79.

Both trailers scrapped by Bird Group (Long Marston) Oct‑81 as part of 8-car ‘4607’.

4126

Unit commenced service 28-Sep-46.

9-compartment TS 11496 withdrawn May‑74 and exchanged with semi‑saloon TS 10448 (ex.4130) and unit to Eastleigh 7-May-74 for C1 overhaul, released in new formation 24-May-74. Seating capacity now three-hundred & eighty.

Unit damaged in collision (with what?) at Streatham Hill 1-Jul-74 but repaired.

Unit withdrawn 16-Apr-76 and stored initially at Hounslow and moved to West Croydon 7-May-76, and both semi‑saloon trailers to unit no.4601 Jun‑76 in reformation at Selhurst.

MBS cars stored at Norwood Yard until 15-May-80 when used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches for unit no.011. Cars 10991 renumbered ADB975602 and 10992 renumbered ADB975603, both from 29-Nov-80.

4127

Unit commenced service 30-Sep-46.

With unit no.4630, unit slightly damaged in collision with units nos.5682 + 5669 + 5032 in Wimbledon South Sidings 8-Aug-61.

9-compartment TS 11497 withdrawn May‑74 and exchanged with semi‑saloon TS 10446 (ex.4128) at Selhurst and unit to Eastleigh 3-Jun-74 for C1 overhaul, released in new formation 28-Jun-74. Seating capacity now three-hundred & eighty.

Unit withdrawn Apr‑76 and stored initially at Hampton Court then moved to Streatham Hill 6-May-76; both semi‑saloon trailers to unit no.4603 Jun‑76 in reform at Selhurst.

MBS cars stored at Norwood Yard until 6-Dec-77 when used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches. 10993 renumbered ADB975592 for unit no.007 from 21-Oct-78, 10994 renumbered ADB975595 for unit no.002 from 7-Dec-78 (this unit became no.003 in 1982).

4128

Unit commenced service 11-Oct-46.

With unit no.4631, unit damaged in buffer stop collision at London Bridge 16-May-61 and repaired at Peckham Rye.

Unit withdrawn 25-May-74 and semi‑saloon TS 10446 exchanged with 9-compartment TS 11497 (ex.4127) at Selhurst and unit stripped and moved to store at Micheldever 25-May-74.

Unit officially reinstated from 2-Aug-75 but not used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75. Unit then to scrap by Milton Metals at T. W. Ward’s yard (Briton Ferry) moving from Micheldever 18-Mar-76.

4129

Unit commenced service 1-Nov-46.

With unit no.4117, unit damaged in collision with unit no.4374 at Epsom 28-Jul-49,  unit stored then cars 10997, 11499 and 10447 all under repair at Eastleigh between 28-Aug-50 and 24-Apr-51.

Unit badly damaged once again about September 1955 (details unknown) and repaired and overhauled at Eastleigh between 29-Sep-55 and 6-Jun-56.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Crystal Palace; following stripping at Selhurst unit hauled to Chart Leacon 6-Jun-72. Moved to Herne Hill by 17-Nov-72 and on to Micheldever for storage 2-Dec-72. Moved to Basingstoke prior to being hauled away for scrapping 5-Apr-73 to Marple & Gillott Ltd (Attercliffe).

4130

Unit commenced service 23-Jan-47.

Unit withdrawn 11-May-74 and semi‑saloon TS 10448 exchanged with 9-Compt. TS 11496 (ex.4126) at Eastleigh where unit stripped and then stored at Micheldever from 14-May-74.

Unit officially reinstated from 2-Aug-75 but not used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75. Unit then to scrap by Milton Metals at T. W. Ward’s yard (Briton Ferry) moving from Micheldever 11-Mar-76.

 

 

 

Augmentation trailer no.10239 was originally used briefly in unit no.4424 thence no.4413, in 1951 it was incorporated into new unit no.4732 and is seen here on 26th February 1983 following the units repaint from blue to green livery.

© John Atkinson

 


Augmentation Trailers
Nos.10230 - 10345

Following the construction of the semi‑saloon units nos.4121 ‑ 4130, Eastleigh works then turned out one hundred and sixteen 10-compartment augmentation trailers on new underframes from Lancing between October 1946 and June 1947; identical to those built earlier but all of the all-steel variety. These cars were numbered 10230 - 10345 to order number HO 3351 and all went into pre-war 3-Car Motor Units from various different batches which were then renumbered into the number range 4401 ‑ 4516. Many of these units were withdrawn for modifications and there were numerous exchanges of augmentation trailers between units.

These trailers were inserted into the 3-Car Motor Units at Selhurst, arriving there in batches of four or six (not in numerical order). However, after the first thirty-six had been delivered (with thirty used in augmented units) problems were found with wheels fouling part of the underframe under crush‑loading conditions, so the six unused vehicles were returned to Eastleigh for modification and all subsequent deliveries were already modified. The first thirty were then removed from their units and replaced by modified cars, returned to Eastleigh for modification and subsequently re‑used in later augmentations.

The augmented units began to be withdrawn in the early fifties and all these augmentation trailers were then reformed into new 4 SUB units or fitted with electro-pneumatic (EP) braking and renumbered into the 150xx series and reformed into new 4 EPB units.

The list below shows the number of the pre-war unit(s) in which the car ran as an augmentation trailer, the date of this unit’s withdrawal followed by the number of the 4 SUB or 4 EPB unit into which the car was eventually formed, with its new number (if applicable).

 

Coach

New

To pre-war
unit(s)

Disbanded

New
No.

To Unit

Diag. No.

2013

 

 

 

 

Code

DN (SUB)

 

 

 

 

 

DU (EPB)

 

 

 

 

10230

8-Jan-47

4488
/4436

c.Jun-50

-

4676

10231

9-Jan-47

4421
/4491

c.Nov-50

-

4706

10232

10-Jan-47

4495
/4473

c.Sep-50

-

4692

10233

8-Jan-47

4452

c.Dec-c.50

-

4709

10234

26-Feb-47

4407

c.Jul-51

-

4735

10235

4-Mar-47

4476

c.Apr-51

-

4725

10236

7-Mar-47

4459

c.Oct-50

-

4699

10237

26-Feb-47

4465

c.Apr-50

-

4606 (1)

10238

30-Jan-47

4464
/4409

Feb-53

15018

5018

10239

4-Feb-47

4424
/4413

c.Jun-51

-

4732

10240

May-47

4448

c.Apr-50

-

4601 (1)

10241

May-47

4514

c.Aug-51

-

4745

10242

24-Dec-c.46

4462
/4442

Apr-50

-

4602 (1)

10243

23-Dec-c.46

4505
/4437

c.Feb-51

-

4719

10244

1-Jan-47

4487
/4506

c.Sep-51

-

4752

10245

30-Dec-c.46

4466
/4492

Mar-50

-

4601 (2)

10246

May-47

4425

Mar-56

15039

5221

10247

May-47

4472

c.Jun-50

-

4677

10248

May-47

4463

c.Apr-50

-

4606 (2)

10249

May-47

4435

May-50

-

4670

10250

1-Jul-47

4455

Oct-50

-

4700

10251

Jul-47

4411

Mar-53

15016

5016

10252

3-Jul-47

4511

Feb-51

-

4718

10253

Sep-47

4422

c.Jul-51

15006

5006

10254

Jul-47

4405

c.Mar-53

15021

5021

10255

Jul-47

4439

c.Jul-51

-

4740

10256

13-Feb-47

4481

c.Jan-51

-

4713

10257

14-Feb-47

4502

c.Sep-51

-

4754

10258

Feb-47

4433

Jun-50

-

4675

10259

13-Feb-47

4478

c.Apr-50

-

4605 (1)

10260

12-Feb-47

4424

Apr-56

15050

5232

10261

17-Feb-47

4487

c.Apr-50

-

4669

10262

14-Feb-47

4508

c.Feb-51

-

4730

10263

23-Dec-c.46

4445
/4446

c.Sep-50

-

4694

10264

14-Jan-47

4407
/4490

c.Apr-50

-

4668

10265

25-Dec-c.46

4451
/4445

Apr-50

-

4604 (1)

10266

17-Dec-c.46

4490
/4418

Mar-53

15024

5024

10267

13-Jan-47

4508
/4498

c.Aug-50

-

4687

10268

20-Jan-47

4438
/4431

c.Sep-51

-

4749

10269

16-Jan-47

4478
/4430

c.Aug-51

-

4747

10270

17-Jan-47

4409
/4406

c.Jul-50

-

4684

10271

3-Jan-47

4502
/4453

Nov-50

-

4705

10272

6-Jan-47

4498
/4515

Apr-53

-

5028

10273

11-Jan-47

4458
/4512

c.Sep-51

15028

4743

10274

7-Jan-47

4408
/4467

c.Jul-50

-

4686

10275

22-Jan-47

4460
/4427

Apr-56

15043

5225

10276

21-Jan-47

4434
/4441

Apr-50

-

4602 (2)

10277

24-Jan-47

4455
/4503

Jul-52

15015

5015

10278

23-Jan-47

4431
/4510

Jul-53

15030

5030

10279

27-Jan-47

4465
/4454

c.Apr-50

-

4671

10280

28-Jan-47

4511
/4412

c.Jul-53

15032

5032

10281

27-Feb-47

4408

c.Feb-53

15027

5027

10282

1-Feb-47

4427
/4444

Sep-50

-

4690

10283

28-Jan-47

4481
/4429

Apr-56

15042

5224

10284

25-Feb-47

4451

Apr-51

-

4724

10285

Jul-47

4426

Mar-56

15040

5222

10286

25-Feb-47

4460

c.Oct-50

-

4697

10287

24-Feb-47

4462

Mar-50

-

4603 (1)

10288

Jul-47

4404

c.Aug-51

-

4741

10289

24-Jul-47

4421
/4591

c.Aug-51

 

4750

10290

Jul-47

4440

c.Jul-50

 

4683

10291

21-Jul-47

4488

c.Apr-50

-

4667

10292

Jul-47

4402

Feb-53

15017

5017

10293

17-Mar-47

4464

c.Jun-50

-

4682

10294

Mar-47

4450

c.Jan-51

-

4712

10295

Mar-47

4479

c.Nov-50

-

4704

10296

18-Mar-47

4438

c.Jun-50

-

4674

10297

Jun-47

4456

Apr-50

-

4603 (2)

10298

Jun-47

4420

May-53

15026

5026

10299

Jul-47

4426
/4428

Apr-56

15048

5230

10300

24-Feb-47

4434

c.Feb-51

-

4716

10301

May-47

4485

c.Sep-50

-

4689

10302

May-47

4410

c.Jul-51

-

4751

10303

May-47

4496

c.Sep-50

-

4691

10304

Jun-47

4499

c.Jul-50

-

4680

10305

19-Jun-47

4466

c.Nov-50

-

4701

10306

Apr-47

4432

c.Feb-51

-

4717

10307

Apr-47

4449

c.Jan-51

-

4715

10308

Mar-47

4506
/4415

c.Jul-51

-

4737

10309

25-Apr-47

4505

Apr-53

15023

5023

10310

Jun-47

4483
(2)

Aug-51

-

4738

10311

Jun-47

4500

c.Nov-50

-

4703

10312

Jun-47

4416

Apr-50

-

4607

10313

Jun-47

4509

c.Aug-51

-

4744

10314

15-Jul-47

4458

c.Aug-50

-

4685

10315

Apr-47

4513

c.Feb-51

-

4727

10316

Apr-47

4423

c.Jul-51

-

4746

10317

May-47

4469

c.Dec-c.50

-

4708

10318

May-47

4474

c.Jun-50

-

4679

10319

Apr-47

4414

c.Aug-51

-

4742

10320

24-Apr-47

4495

c.Apr-50

-

4672

10321

May-47

4489
/4497

c.Jul-50

-

4681

10322

Apr-47

4477
/4560

Mar-56

15041

5223

10323

May-47

4494

c.Jul-50

-

4678

10324

May-47

4489

Jan-51

-

4714

10325

Apr-47

4484

c.Apr-50

-

4604 (2)

10326

Jun-47

4504

c.Sep-51

-

4753

10327

Jun-47

4486

c.Sep-50

-

4693

10328

May-47

4507

Dec-c.51

-

4631

10329

Jun-47

4482

c.Oct-50

-

4698

10330

Jun-47

4443

c.Dec-c.50

-

4711

10331

May-47

4475

c.Nov-50

-

4702

10332

Jun-47

4401

c.Mar-53

15019

5019

10333

Jun-47

4516

Dec-c.51

15003

5003

10334

Jul-47

4468

c.Sep-50

-

4695

10335

Aug-47

4419

c.Jan-52

15008

5008

10336

Jul-47

4471

c.Mar-51

-

4726

10337

Aug-47

4480

Mar-50

-

4605 (2)

10338

Aug-47

4403

c.Jul-51

-

4734

10339

Aug-47

4447

c.Mar-51

-

4721

10340

Jul-47

4470

c.Mar-51

-

4720

10341

May-47

4501

c.Mar-51

-

4722

10342

May-47

4493

c.Dec-c.50

-

4710

10343

Jun-47

4461

c.Dec-c.50

-

4707

10344

Jun-47

4457

c.Jun-50

-

4673

10345

Jun-47

4417

c.Jul-51

15002

5002

 

 

A train on the railway tracks

Description automatically generated

On the rear of an 8-car train, 4 SUB unit no.4376 with the 17.29 Victoria to East Croydon (Balham all stations) on 8th  June 1972.

Note there are grab-handles above /beside the secondman’s observation light (offside) but not on the motorman’s side. Later deliveries of 4 SUB units had grab-handles on both sides.

© BloodandCustard


 

Compartment Units Nos.4355 - 4377
(‘Marys’)

Following on from the one‑hundred & sixteen augmentation trailers built up to June 1947, the next 4 SUB order number HO 3231 was for twenty-three complete units, all on new underframes from Lancing and constructed at Eastleigh to an identical internal layout to units nos.4111‑4120 as units 4121-4130 were still regarded as experimental at this stage and further evaluation of their interior layout was needed before producing more units of this type. Therefore units nos.4355‑4377 should have consisted of two 8-compartment motorcoaches, a 10-compartment trailer and a 9-compartment ‘pseudo-composite’ trailer.

However, a severe shortage of electrical equipment at this time saw these plans badly disrupted. Trailers for these units were completed following the 10230‑10345 batch of augmentation trailers during the summer of 1947, and a further batch of sixty-three augmentation trailers followed from January to July 1948. The motorcoaches were built between September 1947 and June 1948 and many had to be stored at Micheldever waiting fitment of traction equipment.

As a result, planned unit formations were not adhered to, and fourteen of the 10-compartment trailers and nine of the 9-compartment trailers were used for augmentation purposes, being replaced by cars from the following batch of sixty-three, numbered 10167‑10229. This batch of units eventually entered service in reverse numerical order starting with unit no.4377 in September 1947 and ending with unit no.4355 in July 1948.

Due to nine of the ‘pseudo-composite’ trailers being used for augmentation, units 4355 ‑ 4363 had this car replaced by a further 10-compartment vehicle. The first unit to appear, unit no.4377 included another experimental trailer car, an all‑open 10-bay saloon which featured unusual luggage racks with handrails at the gangway sides, also advertisement panels between the luggage rack and the seat back.

This batch of units all had EE339 motors fitted in a ‘Central‘ type motor bogie, and differed slightly in appearance from earlier units in that extra grab rails were fitted on cab ends above and beside the windows, some units having them fitted to both sides, some only on the offside. This was reportedly due to a shortage of brass for the hinges of the opening offside cab observation light so this light was fixed initially on this batch and the grab rails provided to assist staff in coupling /uncoupling operations.

Units were close-coupled within, using the standard suburban centre-buffer and three-link chain arrangement: this being bolted with shackles underneath the headstock (keeping the centre-buffer under compression). On cab ends there was the usual central drawhook with side buffers. The corridor trailer had a centre buffer at both ends; the non-corridor trailer had a buffer at the third-class end and a rubbing plate at the first-class end whilst both motorcoaches had rubbing plates.

One motorcoach on the last unit to appear (unit no.4355) also had experimental roller blind route indicators and the guard’s periscope was fitted with a wiper. If formed as intended, this batch of units should have seated four-hundred & twenty Third (MBT ninety-six, 10C TT one-hundred & twenty, 9C TT one-hundred & eight) and units nos.4364-4376 were in fact so formed.

Unit no.4377 seated four-hundred & two Third due to the inclusion of the all‑open trailer in place of the 10-compt. one and this car only seated one-hundred & two Third. Units nos.4355‑4363 seated four-hundred & thirty-two Third as they included two 10-compt. trailers. Interior trim of these units was as in the unit nos.4101 batch; they differed from the units nos.4111 batch by having hammock slung rather the bench type seating.

During first overhauls, units nos.4355 /4368 /4370‑73 /4376 & 4377 all received brown or maroon rexine panelling with toffee /custard paint whilst the remainder were given Formica partitions, plastic ceilings and ‘Hardecpanelling. Units were repainted from green (with small yellow warning panels added from January 1964) into all‑over blue with full yellow ends, though quite a few (units nos.4358 /4365 /4367 /4369 /4372 & 4375) received the intermediate version with blue ends and small yellow panels between September 1966 and January 1967.

Units nos.4355 /4357 /4368 /4370 /4371 /4373 /4376 & 4377 gained full yellow ends with green livery, unit no.4360 being disbanded whilst still all‑green and the last of this batch still running in green livery was unit no.4368 (painted blue in March 1971).

This batch of units were among the earlier units to be withdrawn due to the fitment of EE339 motors and the large proportion of compartments and began to be withdrawn in 1972, displaced by SR type 2 HAP units downgraded to second class as 2 SAP and moved to the suburban area. They received the BR TOPS classification Class 405/1 shortly before withdrawal. The remainder (except unit no.4377) were withdrawn in 1973 and 1974 as further BR type 2 HAP units were displaced to the suburban area as 2 SAP by newly delivered 4 VEP units, most being initially stored at Lancing prior to electrical stripping at Selhurst.

Unit formations are as shewn below, with withdrawal date and key letter code for scrap dealer also shown.

 

Unit

New

MBT

10C TT

10C TT

MBT

Wdn date

Scrap

Diag. No.

 

2119

2014

2014

2119

 

 

 

Code

 

CH

DN

DN

CH

 

 

 

4355

6-Jul-48

10895

10221

10220

10896
1095216

30-Apr-72

Jun-73 K

 

4356

24-Jun-48

10897

10219

10218

10898

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 S

 

4357

22-Jun-48

10899

10216

10217

10900

14-Jul-73

Mar-74 K

 

4358

17-Jun-48

10901

10214

10215

10902

19-Jan-74

May-74 W

 

4359

18-May-48

10903
10914

10210

10209

10904

22-Nov-75

Jul-76 C

 

4360

14-May-48

10905

10208

10207

10906

Sep-64

Disbanded

 

4361

May-48

10907

10205

10206

10908

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 M (2)

 

4362

26-Apr-48

10909

10199

10200

10910

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 M

 

4363

15-Apr-48

10911

10197

10198

10912

9-Feb-74

May-75 M

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unit

New

MBT

10C TT

9C TT

MBT

Wdn date

Scrap

 

Diag. No.

 

2119

2014

2314

2119

 

 

 

Code

 

CH

DN

DP

CH

 

 

 

4364

2-Apr-48

10913

10196

11461
1035317

10914
10903
1081118

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 S

 

4365

25-Mar-48

10915
11314

10173
10473

11462

10916
10921

15-Feb-69

Nov-69 T (3)

 

4366

15-Mar-48

10917

10172

11469

10918

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 S

 

4367

11-Feb-48

10919

10171

11470

10920

6-Oct-73

See notes

 

4368

2-Feb-48

10921
1086019

10170

11468
894120
11468

10922

30-Apr-72

Feb-73 B

 

4369

27-Jan-48

10923
1266421

10464
1035922

11466

10924

6-Oct-73

Jul-74 K

 

4370

3-Jan-48

10925

10461

11467

10926

5-May-73

Sep-73 N

 

4371

31-Dec-47

10927

10462

11463

10928

6-Oct-73

Mar-75 K

 

4372

24-Dec-47

10929

10465

11464

10930

30-Apr-72

Oct-72 B

 

4373

Dec-47

10931

10455

11465

10932

19-Jan-74

Apr-74 W

 

4374

Nov-47

10933

10454

11460

10934
1096723
10934

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 S

 

4375

21-Nov-47

10935

10457

11459

10936

22-Nov-75

Oct-76 S

 

4376

31-Oct-47

10937

10458

11458

10938

6-Oct-73

Jul-74 K

 

4377

Oct-47

10940

1046324

11457

10939

22-Apr-76

See notes

 

 

Footnotes

16

9-Compt. MBS diagram 2118, code CE

17

Wooden roofed 10-Compt. TS, diagram 2013, code DN.

18

‘All-steel’ 2 HAL MBS, diagram 2127, code CJ.

19

Saloon MBS, diagram 2126, code CM.

20

10-Compt. TS, diagram 2013, code DN.

21

Saloon MBS, diagram 2126, code CM.

22

Wooden roofed TS, diagram 2013.

23

MBT code CF.

24

Saloon TTO, diagram 2018, code DR.

 

 

Key Letter Code for Scrap Dealers

B

Bird Group (Long Marston).

C

J. Cashmore Ltd (Great Bridge).

G

Marple & Gillott Ltd (Attercliffe).

K

A. King Ltd (Wymondham).

M

Milton Metals # T. W. Ward (Briton Ferry).

N

A. King Ltd (Norwich).

S

A. King Ltd (Snailwell).

T

T. J. Thomson & Son, Ltd (Stockton).

W

T. W. Ward Ltd (Beighton).

 

 

Unit no.4355 leaves Wimbledon for Hampton Court (30). Note the handrails beside and above both the motorman’s and secondman’s observation lights needed to change the headcode stencils as the latter was non-opening when new.

© Chris Wilson collection

 

 

Individual Unit Notes

4355

Unit commenced service 13-Jul-48.

MBT 10895 damaged about July 1950 (details unknown) and repaired at Eastleigh between 3-Aug-50 and 28-Sep-50.

Three cars of unit (not 10896) damaged about April 1957 (details unknown) and repaired at Lancing between 1-May-57 and 19-Aug-57. MBS 10896 temporarily exchanged with damaged 10834 (ex.4380) whilst this also repaired at Lancing.

Unit involved in Herne Hill collision 1-Apr-60 (hit tender of 'C' class 31575) and MBS 10895 badly damaged also both trailers damaged. To Eastleigh for repair 31-May-60, 10895 with new cab end and using part of underframe from 2 HAL MBS 10798 (ex.2680). Unit released back into traffic 25-Jun-62.

MBS 10896 damaged Mar‑72 (where?) and condemned, being scrapped by Bird Group (Long Marston) Feb‑73 as part of unit no.4106. Replaced by 10952, a wooden‑roofed 9-Compt. One-hundred & eight seat MBS ex. unit no.4106; unit now seated four-hundred and forty-four.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at Surbiton. Following stripping at Selhurst unit formed as a 6-car with both trailers from unit no.4378 at Clapham Yard before returning to Selhurst, thence moving to Horsham for storage 16-Jun-72.

Unit hauled to Micheldever 23-Dec-72 and hauled away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) 19-Jun-73 from Basingstoke.

4356

Unit commenced service 1-Jul-48.

MBS 10898 damaged by fire about January 1960 (details unknown) and repaired at Lancing between 11-Feb-60 and 12-May-60.

Unit moved from Wimbledon Park to Lancing for storage 27-Feb-74 and withdrawn 2-Mar-74. Unit remained stored at Lancing where it was slightly fire damaged until moved to Selhurst for stripping 21-May-75.

However, it was officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not repaired or used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75. Hauled to Micheldever for storage Feb‑76 and moved away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Snailwell) 13-Oct-76.

4357

Unit commenced service 1-Jul-48.

Unit in collision with headshunt buffers at Effingham Junction 17-Jul-62 and MBS 10900 damaged, repaired at Wimbledon Park.

Unit in collision with unit no.4643 at Wimbledon Park 9-Jul-73 and MBS 10900 damaged; unit withdrawn 14-Jul-73.

Moved to Selhurst for stripping by Oct‑73 and hauled away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) from Clapham Yard 26-Feb-74.

4358

Unit commenced service 24-Jun-48.

Unit at Eastleigh for ‘light repairs’ between 13-Jan-61 and 4-Apr-61 (details unknown).

Unit withdrawn 19-Jan-74 and after stripping at Selhurst hauled to Micheldever for storage 4-Feb-74 and moved away for scrapping to T. W. Ward Ltd (Beighton) 22-Apr-74, detached (at Tinsley?) and arrived 1-May-74.

4359

Unit commenced service 24-May-48.

Unit in collision with unit no.4364 at Swanley 7-Jun-58 and MBS 10903 damaged and exchanged with 10914 (ex.4364) from 18-Jun-58.

Unit used for Xmas mails traffic in December 1973 then stored at Hampton Court and moved to Lancing for storage 27-Feb-74 from Wimbledon Park, and withdrawn 2-Mar-74.

Unit officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75 and taken to Selhurst for stripping by Jan‑76. Eventually disposed of for scrapping to J. Cashmore Ltd (Great Bridge) 23-Jul-76.

4360

Unit commenced service 27-May-48.

Unit in head-on collision with unit no.5247 on shunt neck at Effingham Jct 28-Jul-64 and MBS 10905 badly damaged, cab and brakevan demolished. Unit hauled to Eastleigh 30-Aug-64. Both MBSs 10905 & 10906 arrived Eastleigh 3-Dec-64 and 10905 condemned 5-Dec-64 and broken-up at Eastleigh works about that date.

MBS 10906 to unit no.4720 from 16-Dec-64 after being fitted with an ‘Eastern’ type motor bogie. Both trailers arrived Eastleigh 6-Dec-64 from Chart Leacon and were renumbered, 10207 as 15082, 10208 as 15081 then sent for store (at Micheldever?) until returned to Eastleigh 20-Apr-65 and overhauled and converted to EP braking and both to ‘new’ unit no.5261 from 6-Aug-65.

4361

Unit commenced service 13-May-48.

MBS 10907 minor damage when motor bogie took two roads leaving Epsom sidings 12-Dec-62.

Unit withdrawn 11-May-74 and stored at Crystal Palace, officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not used and moved back to Selhurst 22-Nov-75 and withdrawn that day.

MBS cars then used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches for unit no.004. 10907 renumbered ADB975586, 10908 renumbered ADB975587, both from 13-Aug-77 though ready in June. Both trailers formed into 6-car ‘4112’ for disposal.

4362

Unit commenced service 4-May-48.

MBS 10910 slightly damaged when took two roads in Streatham Hill depot 13-Aug-63.

Unit moved from Wimbledon Park to Lancing for store 29-Sep-73 and withdrawn 6-Oct-73. Officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not used and taken to Selhurst for stripping and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75.

Unit then hauled to Hove for store by 5-Apr-76 and on to Micheldever for further storage, arriving there by Aug‑76 including damaged 4 EPB TS 15072, though this was removed before unit was sent away for scrapping to Milton Metals # T. W. Ward (Briton Ferry) 19-Oct-76.

4363

Unit commenced service 24-Apr-48.

Unit used for Xmas mails traffic in December 1973 and withdrawn 9-Feb-74, moved to Eastleigh for stripping 17-Feb-74 and taken to Micheldever for storage 14-May-74. Moved away for scrapping to Milton Metals at T. W. Ward’s yard at Briton Ferry 11-Mar-75, though not delivered to scrap dealer until 7-May-75.

4364

Unit commenced service 12-Apr-48.

Unit in collision with unit no.4359 at Swanley 7-Jun-58 and MBS 10913, TS 10196 and TS 11461 badly damaged. MBS 10914 to unit no.4359 and replaced by damaged 10903 (ex.4359) from 18-Jun-58.

Damaged vehicles then taken to Ashford for underframe repairs to 10913 and 10196. Released 20-Apr-59 to Lancing where TS 11461 repaired from 27-Apr-59, other cars stored until also under repair at Lancing from 5-Nov-59 and unit released back to traffic in new formation 24-Mar-60.

Unit in further collision at Hampton Court Apr‑70 and MBS 10903 and 9-compt. TS 11461 both withdrawn, 10903 being withdrawn 9-May-70 and cut‑up at Wimbledon Park by 22-Aug-70. Damaged unit taken to Micheldever‑ by Jun‑70 as a 3-car for reform, TS 11461 stored at Micheldever‑ and withdrawn 9-Oct-71 and scrapped there by 26-Aug-76.

Replaced by ‘all-steel’ 2 HAL MBS 10811 (ex.2693) seating eighty-four and 10-compt. wooden-roofed TS 10353 (ex.7TC unit no.701), and reformed unit moved from Micheldever‑ to Selhurst 27-Jul-70 for overhaul. Overall seating capacity unchanged at four-hundred & twenty, unit now one ton‑lighter in weight at 141 tons.

Unit used for Xmas mails traffic in December 1973 then stored at Hampton Court and moved to Lancing for storage 28-Feb-74 from Wimbledon Park, and withdrawn 2-Mar-74. Moved to Selhurst for stripping 21-May-75 but officially reinstated from 2-Aug-75 though not repaired or used and withdrawn again from 22-Nov-75. Hauled to Micheldever‑ arriving 28-Apr-76 for storage and away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Snailwell) 12-Oct-76.

4365

Unit commenced service 6-Apr-48.

Unit in collision with unit no.4627 at Wimbledon station 15-Feb-68 and disbanded. MBS 10916 damaged, MBS 10915 exchanged with damaged 11314 (ex.4627) and unit to Eastleigh for C3 overhaul and repair 19-Nov-68.

Both trailers 10173 and 11462 overhauled and to unit no.4379 from Jun‑69 and replaced by damaged TS 10473 (ex.4379) and MBS 10921 (ex.4368).

Both MBS cars 10916 & 11314 beyond repair and withdrawn 6-Jul-68. 10916 scrapped at Eastleigh works c.Sep‑69 (possibly by Meon Valley Metals). Unit then for scrapping with all cars damaged as a 3-car, moving from Basingstoke to T. J. Thomson & Son, Ltd (Stockton) 19-Nov-69.

4366

Unit commenced service 23-Mar-48.

Unit withdrawn 16-Feb-74 and stored at Lancing until moved to Selhurst for stripping 21-May-75. Unit officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75. Hauled to Micheldever arriving 28-Apr-76 for storage and moved away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Snailwell) 12-Oct-76.

4367

Unit commenced service 19-Feb-48.

Unit damaged about July 1967 (details unknown) and to Selhurst for repair 1-Aug-67.

Unit out of use by 1-Oct-73 and moved to Lancing for store 4-Oct-73 and withdrawn 6-Oct-73 then moved to Selhurst 26-Oct-73 and converted in early 1974 to Instruction Unit no.055. All internal partitions removed and gangways fitted between vehicles within the unit. MBS cars fitted out as classrooms, trailers with equipment demonstrations. All jumper cables removed from unit ends; roller blinds and EE507 motors fitted. All cars renumbered in departmental series:-  10919 to ADB975319, 10171 to ADB975320, 11470 to ADB975321 and 10920 to ADB975322 with unit released Nov‑74. Coaches officially renumbered from 15-Mar-75.

Unit survived in this form until withdrawn 6-Nov-85 and sent for scrapping to C. F. Booth (Rotherham) from Stewarts Lane 8-May-86 though unit spent a period stored in Tinsley Yard and not delivered until Jul‑87.

4368

Unit commenced service 13-Feb-48.

Unit at Eastleigh for unspecified repair between 7-Nov-50 and 15-Feb-51 (possible damage?).

Unit in collision with unit no.4661 about May 1966 (details unknown) and 9-compt. TS 11468 damaged and temporarily exchanged with 10-compt. TS 8941 (ex.4661). Reverted to original formation about November 1966.

Unit derailed at Whitton Jct 18-Aug-67 and MBS 10921 down bank and not recovered until Oct‑67. This car condemned 8-Feb-69 and scrapped as part of ‘4365’ (as a 3-car) Nov‑69. Replaced in unit no.4368 from Mar‑68 by MBS 10860 (ex.4282) an eighty-two-seat saloon vehicle. Unit then seated four-hundred & six and weighed 138 tons.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and initially stored at New Cross Gate then moved to Selhurst for stripping and hauled to Horsham for storage 16-Jun-72. Then moved to Clapham Yard 13-Nov-72 and on to Micheldever 2-Dec-72. Moved to Basingstoke 15-Feb-73 prior to moving for scrapping to Bird Group (Long Marston) the next day.

4369

Unit commenced service 10-Feb-48.

MBS 10924 along with 9-Compt. TS 11466 badly damaged in converging collision with 2 BIL unit no.2007 at Horsham 2-Jul-61, unit stored at Hassocks then repaired at Eastleigh between 22-Mar-63 and 10-May-63.

Unit slightly damaged about July 1967 (details unknown) and MBS 10924 and TS 11466 damaged, unit to Eastleigh 27-Jul-67 and released 4-Aug-67.

Unit in further collision at Strawberry Hill Mar‑68 and MBS 10923 and TS 10464 both damaged and withdrawn 12-Apr-69, unit to Micheldever for store, MBS 10924 + TS 11466 to Eastleigh for repair and overhaul 1-Apr-69, damaged cars scrapped by T. J. Thomson & Son, Ltd (Stockton) Nov‑69 formed as a 3-car with MBS 10859 (ex.4282).

Replaced in unit no.4369 by eighty-two-seat saloon MBS 12664 (ex.4590 and via units nos.2700 & 4282) and 10-compt. wooden‑roofed TS 10359 (ex.4338 and via units nos.2926 & 4282) and unit released in new formation 17-Apr-69. Unit then seated four-hundred & six and weighed 138 tons.

Unit withdrawn 13-May-72 but reinstated.

Unit withdrawn 6-Oct-73, stored at Micheldever by 30-Jan-74 and moved for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) from there 3-Jul-74.

4370

Unit commenced service 22-Jan-48.

Unit ex. repairs at Eastleigh 22-Mar-50 (possible damage?).

Unit withdrawn 5-May-73 due to damage (details unknown), storage details after withdrawal unknown, moved for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Norwich) (probably from Norwood Yard) 24-Jul-73.

4371

Unit commenced service 12-Jan-48.

Unit stored briefly at Lancing from 2-Oct-73, withdrawn 6-Oct-73 and moved to Selhurst 17-Oct-73 for stripping. Hauled to Clapham Yard Dec‑73 for storage and on to Micheldever by 30-Jan-74. Moved away for scrapping 28-Aug-74, not arriving at A. King Ltd (Wymondham) until 15-Mar-75 after a period at Thetford.

4372

Unit commenced service 6-Jan-48.

Three cars of unit damaged c.May‑70 (details unknown) and unit stored at Selhurst until repaired there between 19-Jun-70 and 30-Aug-70.

Unit withdrawn 30-Apr-72 and after stripping at Selhurst, unit hauled to Shalford 23-May-72 and on to Guildford 31-May-72 for storage. Moved to Micheldever 5-Jul-72 and then to Basingstoke 9-Oct-72 prior to moving away for scrapping to Bird Group (Long Marston) 18-Oct-72.

4373

Unit commenced service 29-Dec-47.

MBS 10932 derailed on catch points at Coulsdon North 23-Apr-64, repaired at Selhurst?

Unit moved from Wimbledon Park to Lancing 29-Sep-73 for store and withdrawn 6-Oct-73 but reinstated 8-Dec-73 following loss of units nos.4381 & 4640 in a depot fire.

After withdrawal again 19-Jan-74 unit stripped at Selhurst and hauled to Micheldever 4-Feb-74 for storage and moved away for scrapping to T. W. Ward Ltd (Beighton) 22-Apr-74.

4374

Unit commenced service 9-Dec-47.

MBT 10934 damaged in collision with units nos.4129 & 4117 at Epsom 28-Jul-49 and repaired by about May‑51 thence to unit no.4114, replaced by 10967 (ex.4114) from c.21-Sep-49. Reverted to original formation Jan‑53.

After withdrawal 11-May-74 unit stored at Lancing where it remained stored until moved to Selhurst for stripping 21-May-75.

Unit officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not repaired or used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75. Hauled to Micheldever for storage Feb‑76 and moved away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Snailwell) 11-Oct-76.

4375

Unit commenced service 1-Dec-47.

Unit withdrawn from passenger use 1-Oct-73 but retained for Xmas mails and parcels traffic until withdrawn 2-Mar-74. Unit moved from Wimbledon Park to Lancing for storage 27-Apr-74 where it remained stored until moved to Selhurst for stripping 21-May-75.

Unit officially reinstated 2-Aug-75 but not repaired or used and withdrawn again 22-Nov-75. Hauled to Micheldever for storage Feb‑76 and moved away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Snailwell) 13-Oct-76.

4376

Unit commenced service 12-Nov-47.

Unit derailed in Wimbledon Park depot 13-Jul-62 and MBS 10937 damaged, repaired at Lancing between 27-Jul-62 and 20-Aug-62.

Unit withdrawn 6-Oct-73 and after stripping at Selhurst, unit stored at Micheldever by 30-Jan-74 and moved away for scrapping to A. King Ltd (Wymondham) 3-Jul-74.

4377

Unit commenced service 9-Oct-47.

Both MBS cars 10939 and 10940 to 4 LAV unit no.2932 from 23-May-67 until Feb‑68 and trailers stored in meantime at Micheldever with unit no.2932 MBS cars 10523 and 10524.

Unit withdrawn 22-Apr-76 and TSO 10463 exchanged with TS 10144 (ex.4277) from Jun‑76 and unit stored at Norwood Yard.

Both MBS cars stored until 14-Jul-80 when used for conversion to de-icing motorcoaches for unit no.012. 10939 renumbered ADB975604 and 10940 renumbered ADB975605 (both from Dec‑81). Both trailers scrapped by Bird Group (Long Marston) Sep‑81 as part of 8-car ‘4606’.

 

 

On a service via Cobham (headcode 42), 4 SUB unit no.4385 enters Guildford off the Guildford New Line in 1955.

© Chris Wilson collection

 


The fourteen 10-Compt. TTs originally intended for this batch and used for augmentation instead were as follows:

 

Car

New

Into traffic

To pre-war

Disbanded

New No.

To unit

Diag. No.

2014

 

unit/s

 

 

 

Code

DN (SUB) or DU (EPB conversions).

10449

Aug-47

25-Sep-47

4569
/4333

6-May-60

-

4607

10450

Aug-47

11-Sep-47

4552

8-Sep-56

15059

5241

10451

Aug-47

29-Sep-47

4556

Aug-56

15055

5237

10452

Aug-47

26-Sep-47

4572

12-May-56

15045

5227

10453

Aug-47

24-Sep-47

4551
/4113
/4551

Nov-56

15067

5249

10456

Oct-47

Oct-47

4521

27-Apr-53

15025

5025

10459

Oct-47

8-Oct-47

4564

25-Feb-56

15036

5218

10460

Oct-47

23-Oct-47

4579

15-Aug-53

15033

5033

10466

Sep-47

18-Sep-47

4537

19-May-56

15046

5228

10467

Sep-47

19-Sep-47

4561

21-Jul-56

15060

5242

10468

Sep-47

19-Sep-47

4549

26-May-56

15047

5229

10469

Sep-47

22-Sep-47

4532
/4548

29-Sep-56

15064

5246

10470

Sep-47

1-Sep-47

4520

18-Feb-56

15034

5216

10471

Sep-47

25-Sep-47

4527

14-Jul-56

15053

5235

 

 

The nine 9-Compt. TTs originally intended for this batch and used instead for augmentation were as follows:

 

Car

New

Into traffic

To pre-war

Disbanded

New No.

To unit

Diag. No.

2314

 

unit/s

 

 

 

Code

DP (SUB) or DU (EPB conversions).

11448

Aug-47

23-Sep-47

4602
/4610
/4591
/4421

14-Oct-50

-

4696

11449

Aug-47

8-Sep-47

4614
/4589

7-Jun-51

-

4728

11450

Aug-47

8-Sep-47

4613
/4477

8-Sep-50

-

4688

11451

Aug-47

9-Sep-47

4605
/4590

17-Mar-56

15038

5220

11452

Aug-47

26-Sep-47

4603
/4592

24-Aug-51

-

4739

11453

Aug-47

23-Sep-47

4601
/4587

4-Jul-51

-

4733

11454

Aug-47

2-Oct-47

4606
/4573

Nov-51

15005

5005

11455

Aug-47

1-Oct-47

4604
/4593

28-Apr-51

-

4723

11456

Aug-47

2-Oct-47

4607
/4608 /4594 /4313

circa.
31-May-60

15080

5008

 


Augmentation Trailers
10167 - 10229

The final batch of sixty-three augmentation trailers were built at Eastleigh, on new underframes from Lancing between January and October 1948 and were again 10-Compartment vehicles seating one-hundred & twenty and weighing 28 tons as previously. The first three vehicles were to order number HO 3386, the remainder to order HO 3463.

Twenty-three had to be used to make up the shortfall of trailers in the unit no.4355‑4377 batch (as mentioned above), the remainder went to augment pre-war 3-Car Motor Units as intended which were numbered in the series 4517‑4614 although some numbers were not used and no more than sixty-three units existed at any one time.

Many of these augmented units started to be withdrawn after a relatively short time for their underframes to be recovered for use later in the 4 SUB and 4 EPB construction programme. There were various reforms so that these augmentation trailers often saw service in several pre-war units before all (except two) were converted to EP braking and used in new 4 EPB units. However, two units were used in 4 SUB units nos.4736 & 4748. Details were as follows those cars not used for augmentation being marked with * after car number.

 

Car

Date New

Date into

To pre-war

Unit

New No.

To Unit

Diag. No.

2013

traffic

unit(s)

Disbanded

 

 

Code

DN (SUB) or DU (EPB conversions).

10167

Jul-48

19-Jul-48

4534

14-Jul-56

15054

5236

10168

Jul-48

20-Jul-48

4550

c.12-Dec-56

15074

5256

10169

Jul-48

14-Jul-48

4568

7-Jun-52

15012

5012

10170*

Feb-48

13-Feb-48

4368

-

-

-

10171*

Feb-48

19-Feb-48

4367

-

-

-

10172*

Mar-48

22-Mar-48

4366

-

-

-

10173*

Mar-48

6-Apr-48

4365

-

-

-

10174

Jul-48

4-Aug-48

4571

Jun-52

15011

5011

10175

Aug-48

17-Aug-48

4517

c.27-Apr-53

15022

5022

10176

Jul-48

4-Aug-48

4553

15-Jun-56

15049

5231

10177

Aug-48

16-Aug-48

4519

c.24-Mar-53

15020

5020

10178

Jul-48

29-Jul-48

4543

15-Sep-56

15062

5244

10179

Jul-48

29-Jul-48

4558

c.27-Nov-56

15072

5254

10180

Oct-48

5-Oct-48

4562
/4531

10-Nov-56

15070

5252

10181

Sep-48

1-Oct-48

4584
/4570

Apr-51

-

4724
/4736

10182

Sep-48

30-Sep-48

4524
/4529

11-Aug-56

15078

5260

10183

Oct-48

12-Oct-48

4528

13-Nov-56

15068

5250

10184